Ideas for Wheelchair Cardio

Options
Okay, so here goes, I am running into a roadblock when it comes to sticking to my routine, specifically cardio. I guess I should start with the facts, I actually know why I am running into difficulty, and it is a multi-layered issue. 1, I am in a wheelchair, which makes finding cardiovascular exercises challenging to begin with. 2, I live in central Minnesota so while I am usually fairly creative at finding ways to keep the ol' pump going, Old Man Winter apparently has a different agenda in mind! Now, like I said I have come up with some creative ways to get in my cardio-activity, but what I want to know is-- are there any resources anyone is aware of specifically for the disabled, I.e. wheelchair aerobic videos, modified seated boxing etc.? I have found a couple of videos on youtube (and I do mean a couple) but they are either not working on a level I can respect or appreciate, they'er just flat out corny, or they are just a snippet used to promote a $40 workout video. Ugh. I apologize if this came off as one big complaint-fest, I really would appreciate any avenues or suggestions anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Paul Kemp Jr.

Replies

• paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ??? Crickets.....
  • paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moto67e
    moto67e Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey Paul, I'm sorry I don't have any good ideas. The only thing I can think of is that maybe a crossfit gym might be able to make a workout that would give you a good sweat. Good luck
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in a wheelchair that has spent the last year getting into incredible shape. He lives in PA, so I imagine the cold is an issue for him as well, though most of what he does is hand-cycling. I will ask him if he has any ideas.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to a gym the best thing is a hand cycle, and I mean of the exercise equipment variety. They have them in therapy centers and gyms, they are small usually clamped to a tabletop and you spin. I doubt it is covered under insurance, but it is definitely worth looking into.

They do have fancy ones too I have heard about, basically free standing units that are the hand cycling equivalent of a spinning bike, but I haven't used one myself. I'd ask their therapist if they still are in contact, or an exercise equipment supplier otherwise.

That's what he suggests. Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Rollers?
    http://www.sportaid.com/disability-exercise-equipment/wheelchair-exercise-training-rollers/

Hand cycle rollers
    http://www.draftwheelchairs.com/handcycle-rollers/

Look into adaptive sports like climbing, swimming - there are a bunch of ideas out there.

Every year there is a group of hand cycle riders that does RAGBRAI. There is a challenge.
    For your videos themselves you can possible get regular spin videos of specific scenery similar to a bike ride - visual cues of riding - not realistic in terms of speed for a wheelchair but many DVDs can be played at variable speed. Look up indoor cycling videos. I'm not sure they will fit what you want, but it's an idea.

Also talk to these guys: http://www.ncpad.org/

Have a great time!
  • genaconti
    genaconti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had very intense reconstructive foot surgery 10 years ago and found NOTHING to help oout there. TODAY, I found this video on YOU TUBE Fabulous Upper Body Cardio work out in bed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrciwU4Fbo

I was impressed.
    Now, living with torn rotator cuff injury, afib and looking at knee replacement surgery --- I am pleased to find this easy (but tough) cardio workout. It's a 1st step. This can be done from a chair/wheelchair/bed.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chair Cardio & Strength by Jessica Smith

http://jessicasmithtv.com/2013/03/18/chair-cardio-strength-workout-video/

Sit & Be Fit is a series (for seniors) .... maybe you can at least get some ideas.... 24 DVDs .... should have something you can use (?)

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/seated-exercise-exercise-videos-47
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here goes, I am running into a roadblock when it comes to sticking to my routine, specifically cardio. I guess I should start with the facts, I actually know why I am running into difficulty, and it is a multi-layered issue. 1, I am in a wheelchair, which makes finding cardiovascular exercises challenging to begin with. 2, I live in central Minnesota so while I am usually fairly creative at finding ways to keep the ol' pump going, Old Man Winter apparently has a different agenda in mind! Now, like I said I have come up with some creative ways to get in my cardio-activity, but what I want to know is-- are there any resources anyone is aware of specifically for the disabled, I.e. wheelchair aerobic videos, modified seated boxing etc.? I have found a couple of videos on youtube (and I do mean a couple) but they are either not working on a level I can respect or appreciate, they'er just flat out corny, or they are just a snippet used to promote a $40 workout video. Ugh. I apologize if this came off as one big complaint-fest, I really would appreciate any avenues or suggestions anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
    Paul Kemp Jr.

do you have a gym membership? if not i suggest getting one..you need an ergometer and depending on level of your injury and stability you could probably use a rowing machine. if its not possible to get to a gym, find a hill and wheel yourself up.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of Chair Exercise Videos, Demos and even Teams at Sparkpeople.com Also there s a YOUTUBE Channel but I don't recall the name of it off hand. It was started by one of the Leaders of the Chair Exercise Team on Sparkpeople.com.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Our Y has wheelchair basketball.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    dunno if that helps but once on my walk i saw a guy who rebuild his wheelchair to some kind of bike it looked pretty cool and he was going very fast with it
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My dad is in a wheelchair and has the added disadvantage of only having one arm. He uses a stationary arm cycle...or used to. He now goes to the gym to lift everyday now.

Back when I was growing up, his one good arm was awesome from both wheeling himself around the ranch (yes ranch) and also from doing an hour a day on his weight machine. He now has to use a power chair because his hand is so arthritic, it won't allow him to wheel himself around. So he's doing what he can at the gym.

He also used to play wheelchair basketball, and throw shot and discus in the wheelchair games. Thinking about it now, he's just badda$$ :smile:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    http://www.newmobility.com/browse_thread.cfm?id=225&blogID=19

cardio boxing, via wii 3 or some other source even without the leg movements you can workout to a good sweat throwing punches, jabs, uppercuts, ect.

I use to work with a student who was quad and he had become overweight due to loving junk food but he suddenly noticed girls and felt helpless to change how he looked. We looked into getting him into weight training and he did amazing with it, he did need someone to load the weights for him but it worked. Also the local ymca did offer swim classes he had a trainer lower him into the water and he did manage to do that which he hadn't been sure he could but found he could swim even though he had no use of his limbs and only 3 fingers on one hand, amazing young man I can say I am so proud to know. Grew up to be a happily married and wonderful father, he still loves his junk food lol.

ps He had straps with loops that went around his arms and he would be able to use the weight machines over free weights to be specific. I think they ordered them online to modify the gym machines for his use, straps also for a seated row machine worked too. Or maybe your gym has straps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck with a leg injury that prevents me from using my leg, and i do the battling ropes from a chair and that works up a sweat for me and gets my heart pumping. And depending on if you can bend out of your wheel chair or not, i also do the slam ball from a seated position, slamming it on the ground, that is also cardio.