PAIN IN BACK OF CALF IS KILLING ME!

Options
:cry: A few weeks ago, someone posted that they had a muscle pain behind their knee at the top of their calf. Almost feels like a hamstring would if a hamstring were lower. MINE IS KILLING ME. I warmed up before running last night, but I suspect that is the cause. How can I relieve this pain other than the old standby: Advil? I can't remember the advice she was given, but now I need it!

Replies

• rochey_1
    rochey_1 Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi :))

IMO good old R.I.C.E

Rest
    Ice
    Compress
    Elevate

Whenever i have had a muscle strain or injury...That has been the recommendation from doctors/physiotherapists/hospital.

I'd wait to do more exercise, Let it heal or you'll risk further injury...If it doesn't improve within a week see a doctor to make sure everything is fine IMO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup.......RICE & no running for a few days. If the pain persists get thee to a sports medicine clinic.
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you, but calf pain can be other things than muscular, being a nurse, I just feel I need to put this out here, I'm sure it's prolly just a pulled muscle, but check to be sure it's not red or hot feeling, pull your toes toward your knee if you have worse pain you could have a blood clot, it's a very common place behind the knee, upper back calf. If you're concerned call your dr & make an appt right away. It can happen to anyone of any age, so if it's not the above no worries :)) Epsom Salts baths help too to get rid of toxins (build up of lactic acid). Stretching helps, and of course NSAIDS (ibuprofen, aleve). RICE as explained above & epsom salts are the best for pulled muscles. Should resolve itself in a couple days, if not see the dr. :))
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You could try increasing your potassium (low potassium can contribute to leg pain). Also new shoes might be a good idea. I was having severe pain in my legs (just from walking) on the side of my shins (above my ankles). I got new shoes and it went away completely.