Processed Foods Hindering Weight Loss?

Options
I just updated my status with this:

So peeps, I'm not losing weight. I'm getting a few curves (I think) but the weight isn't changing much. I'm going to assume this is because I'm eating too many processed foods. So, I'm going to try to figure out ways around that (that also lets me stay as lazy as possible when it comes to work lunches). So yeah...blaming it on that and hoping beyond hope changing it will help me lose weight...

Anyway, I'm working on getting the supplies to make my own fruit/nut bars instead of buying protein bars because I'd rather fully know what's in them and almonds are my happy place. It's going to take some time, since my mom is picking up the almonds for me, (and the store is out of stock for now), and then I'm probably going to go out to pick some raspberries in the garden and my sister (if I help her) will let me have some of her homemade (and homegrown) plum leather and I'll probably steal some plumbs for the bars. And get some dehydrated fruit to snack on. But that's just the fruit bars (breakfast and snacks for me).

What I'd like is some ideas for my lunches that would be fairly easy to make, and will freeze so I can batch large quantities of it. I prefer frozen meals for my lunch because they're so much faster than making one every morning.

So...ideas for that would be nice and I would also like to ask: Am I right in thinking the amount of processed food I eat is hindering my weight loss?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The sodium in them may make you hold onto a bit more water hence weighing a bit more but plenty of water will flush it out. However, eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight even if you are eating processed foods.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diet, I see a lot of sodium and not enough protein. I also think you should eat more for breakfast -- try to up your calories at breakfast to about 300 if you can.

Sodium isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can make you retain fluids (for me especially in the mornings.)

Trail mix is easy to make, but you will have to parcel it into servings. Store-bought food isn't necessarily all bad, but you could make better choices. The protein bars are quick-fixes, but they often lack taste and enough good nutrients. I would love you to eat a salad with walnuts and pears/apples instead of a power bar (they can be bought at the store, too!) because it will give you nutrients, fiber and a better eating experience.
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Looking at your diet, I see a lot of sodium and not enough protein. I also think you should eat more for breakfast -- try to up your calories at breakfast to about 300 if you can.

Sodium isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can make you retain fluids (for me especially in the mornings.)

Trail mix is easy to make, but you will have to parcel it into servings. Store-bought food isn't necessarily all bad, but you could make better choices. The protein bars are quick-fixes, but they often lack taste and enough good nutrients. I would love you to eat a salad with walnuts and pears/apples instead of a power bar (they can be bought at the store, too!) because it will give you nutrients, fiber and a better eating experience.

I'm not a huge fan of sweet salads (ones with nuts and fruits) but I do love salad in general. I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks for the idea!
  • cengel03
    cengel03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Processed foods will definitely hinder weight loss! Check out 100daysofrealfood.com and graciouspantry.com for great tips on how to eat clean, and great recipes too. It can be overwhelming at first but take baby steps and you'll feel SO much better cutting out the junk!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Fruits and nuts are carbs and fats.

How is this in any way a good substitute for a protein bar?
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Less processed and more whole foods and you will see a difference. Also women hold a lot of water and sodium makes it worse, I think you will see difference cutting some sodium out::)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume this is because I'm eating too many processed foods. So, I'm going to try to figure out ways around that (that also lets me stay as lazy as possible when it comes to work lunches). So yeah...blaming it on that and hoping beyond hope changing it will help me lose weight...

Assuming something nonsensical and then crossing your fingers and hoping you're right is not a high quality strategy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    On a potentially more helpful note, I went though your log for this month.

I see at least 3 days where you went way, way over your calorie goal. I also see a number of days that look incomplete, along with three days with nothing whatsoever logged.

Your problem appears, to me, to be consistency. You're 150+ calories away from your calorie goal almost every single day one way or the other. Get closer to your calorie goal, more consistently, and you will see progress. This advice assumes that you will weigh and log everything. If you don't log everything, every day, it's all for naught.

Blaming it on "processed food" or some other such nonsense isn't going to get you anywhere. What will get you somewhere is actually logging everything and consistently hitting an appropriate calorie deficit.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    ^^^Seriously this. Are you using a food scale? I see a lot of nuts in your diary. They are very calorie dense and easy to underestimate.

I am not a clean eater, and these are my results VVV

ETA: I also almost always over on my sodium. Sometimes by alarming amounts.
  • kosuke081
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful posts. Sodium has been very difficult for me since I cut out a lot of sugar from my diet (went off of it for a month with my family an never fully went back to it).

My water intake has skyrocketed ever since joining MFP, went from very little (to none some days) to a minimum of 2 liters (about 67 ounces) per day.

Fruit and nuts as a replacement to what I snack on are far better for me, just knowing how my body works, which is why I want to replace the processed (and sodium filled) protein bars, I will probably try my hand at making my own protein bars as well, though I want to make sure I'm not over doing just bar foods. I snack A LOT at work, so I usually cut servings in half so I feel like I have more to eat throughout the day. (Portion sizes are still new to me, but I think I'm getting a lot better).

Logging is still new for me as well. I don't often log on the weekends or on holidays because I know when I go over my calorie goal and I'm usually doing something fun outside in the real world, which is why the logs aren't consistent. (I'm sorry if that doesn't help you when you look through them). I have no plans on changing this because I find spending time with my family is far more helpful on my mental health and I'm working on that as well. Just logging on work days are quite helpful for me, since they are my biggest snacking days. Weekends aren't actually a problem for me. (Which is slowing my weight loss to some extent, but I didn't think it would halt it completely *see below on my exercising rant)

As for assuming: I'm actually a rather sarcastic person, and my assumption, while sarcastic, was more of a "please help me find better things/ideas for things to eat" and a "is cutting more processed food out my diet a good idea?" It may or may not be an easy fix for me, but I really wasn't looking to get lectured on what I know is healthy or not. Processed foods aren't healthy for me, especially because of the sodium intake. So thanks to all that explained that to me.

And thank you for the websites! That's a great help when trying to change my diet into a more health sustaining one. Hopefully my weekday log posts will start showing you guys that I listened.

I really think my biggest frustration is that I have cut calories down, quite a bit actually (I used to eat a lot more than before MFP), and I have started exercising, which is a huge change from what it was like about 6 weeks ago. I thought adding in the exercise would start some sort of weight loss and it hasn't really. I still bounce between 186-189 and it's been like that for around 3 weeks.

I don't want to cut calories anymore, I fear that I wouldn't be eating enough. For the first few weeks I was trying for the 1200 calorie goal, but for me that wasn't enough, I was hangry a lot and I'd rather not go back to that, which may also explain why I appear to be under sometimes.

So yeah...I'm really hoping that part of my problem is not eating the right foods, which is why I'm starting with decreasing the processed foods.

Thanks again for those of you that posted.

NOTE: I'm aware I did post my foods and calories on a few holidays this month, I tried to log for the 4th, but it was difficult concerning I had to keep leaving my family to go log and made the day far less fun. Also, yesterday was a holiday in my state, so I didn't log. I also slept most of the day, so whether or not I went over calories wouldn't have mattered, I ate them all in one go (dinner) which is a very dumb thing to do. *Sigh* I just wish the exercising would show more. *Gets off box and turns off the lights to exercise*
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What is the 6 lbs. from? This month? Two months? I had a dr. tell me that .5 lbs. a week was acceptable. I think we get it in our heads that we should be losing 5-10lbs. a week because we see it on shows such as the the BIggest Loser and the like. People get down about losing 1 lb a week.

I know that I have a week of loss, a week at the same weight/1 lb. gain. I look at the big picture.

I also eat more processed foods than I would like (I have high blood pressure--really need to watch sodium...some days it is over the 2500 mg), I have lost 9 lbs. since mid June...not to shabby.

See what works for you. I like to have color and texture on my salads. I also like to have a protein and a fat along with veggies. I'll often use leftover chicken and add to my salad; or put a hard boiled egg on it.

Best of luck in seeing if it is processed foods.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Processed food is not hampering your weight loss, at all.
  • kosuke081
    Options
    It waivers a lot from having lost 3-6 lbs. I log my weight when it goes down, since weight fluctuates up and down a lot. I can't tell if it went back up to where I've only lost 3 (from the beginning of June) or if it's water. Hoping for water because of my sodium intake but it's hard to be sure.

Also, I just looked at my food diary report. It seems I'm rather consistent with this pattern:
    1. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over calories
    2. A little over calories
    3. Almost right on
    4. A little under
    5. Way under
    And repeat

Frustrating, because it feels like I eat the same amount everyday. Ugh. I think I'm just mad at myself. The exercising is consistent, the eating isn't. Which is the bigger problem over all.

I think I've got a lot of meal planning and prep to do this weekend. *le sigh*
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    It's taken me a year to lose 25 lbs. Just with changing my eating. (gym or working out is not an option for me ATM) I have another 25 to go, and fully expect it to take at least one year more, if not longer. Don't worry about rapid weight loss. Focus instead on devloping healthy eating habits. That is what will keep you thin for life.

As for logging, if you eat the same or similar stuff all the time, logging is easy. You can do it on your phone, on your pc, on your tablet. You don't necessarily have to log the instant you eat, but it helps me to know where I'm at before I eat again.

Regarding your food: eat more real food. The kind you have to cook from scratch with raw ingredients. More protein, more veggies. You will feel more satisfied, you'll snack less, and you'll be healthier. I too work full time, have a VERY LONG commute, and am not at home to cook a big meal every night. I cook a large pot of whatever, and portion it out over several days. Same for breakfast. I make a big pot of cracked grain cereal, add some protein powder, portion it out for the week, and eat it on the way to work. Less time in the am than making coffee. Eating like this lets me have chocolate every day and still stay within or very close to my calorie deficit. I don't get hungry, don't have cravings for snacks between meals, and get dessert. What's not to love?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ..... Am I right in thinking the amount of processed food I eat is hindering my weight loss?

No. The amount of calories you eat is hindering your weight loss
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Processed foods do not hinder fat loss unless you eat more of them than your body needs.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Don't plan on losing wright faster if you're going to just keep doing whatever on weekends and holidays.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    didnt read, but i can assure you it's not that the foods are processed...it's that youre eating too much food altogether.

also, i'll stick around for the "processed foods DO hinder weight loss" crowd.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sodium and processed foods as well, but I have lost the weight and gotten to my goal weight despite including them in my diet every day (I am also a lazy lunch maker). The important thing for me was portion control and measuring properly. I got a food scale and measure EVERYTHING! I even measure out salad dressings, etc.with tablespoons, use cups to measure vegetables, etc. It's really easy to miscalculate how much is the correct portion if I don't. It was an inconvenience at first, but it's become second nature to me now, and it made the difference. Good luck!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't do a lot of processed food. It totally hinders my weight loss. What about really simple lunches of boiled eggs and fresh raw veggies? I do that a lot and it's super easy.