To eat chocolate or not to eat chocolate?

Options
jelly5454
jelly5454 Posts: 11 Member
I've been doing well with my diet, after a real boost of this is going to work. I have 300 calories left for the day, and have a bar of chocolate in the house? Do I have some or is it a slippery slope?

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The scientific answer: If the chocolate bar is 300 calories or less, it will not hinder your weight loss or throw away your hard work. The the answer is yes.

The psychological/emotional answer: If chocolate is a "trigger" food for you, and you know that you will not be able to control your cravings once you eat it, and eating it will lead to a trip to the store to buy and eat 3 or 4 more, then the answer is no.

The honest answer: A diet should be one that you can see yourself following for more than 3 or 6 months. Ask yourself, can I maintain this level of restriction and type of eating for more than a year? 5 years? Over my life? Basically, unless you have an allergy or an unhealthy relationship with certain foods that may require therapy, you don't need to deprive yourself of chocolate while dieting. Incorporating chocolate into your daily caloric and macro goals will allow you to eat the foods you want, feel better about your eating choices, and still reach your weight loss goals. Imagine the day when you say "I don't feel like eating chocolate today." It doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice. The victory in attaining your goals lies in the fact that you were able to do it on your terms without having to restrict yourself or deprive yourself of foods that you can't go without for the rest of your life.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The scientific answer: If the chocolate bar is 300 calories or less, it will not hinder your weight loss or throw away your hard work. The the answer is yes.

The psychological/emotional answer: If chocolate is a "trigger" food for you, and you know that you will not be able to control your cravings once you eat it, and eating it will lead to a trip to the store to buy and eat 3 or 4 more, then the answer is no.

The honest answer: A diet should be one that you can see yourself following for more than 3 or 6 months. Ask yourself, can I maintain this level of restriction and type of eating for more than a year? 5 years? Over my life? Basically, unless you have an allergy or an unhealthy relationship with certain foods that may require therapy, you don't need to deprive yourself of chocolate while dieting. Incorporating chocolate into your daily caloric and macro goals will allow you to eat the foods you want, feel better about your eating choices, and still reach your weight loss goals. Imagine the day when you say "I don't feel like eating chocolate today." It doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice. The victory in attaining your goals lies in the fact that you were able to do it on your terms without having to restrict yourself or deprive yourself of foods that you can't go without for the rest of your life.

Best. Answer. Ever.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

Best. Answer. Ever.

Requoting because this is the absolute right answer.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'd requote too but that would just be silly...:)
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    what he said. I believe in everything in moderation. if you completley deprive yourself, you may binge. but if you allow yourself a chocolate bar once in awhile, its not going to kill you.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Requoting because silken said it would be silly :P. I figure it's silly not to. Plus, if this gets more people to read some good ole' common sense then I'm all for it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yep this!!!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    To eat or not to eat

EAT is always the answer
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    To eat or not to eat

EAT is always the answer

this.

ESPECIALLY when it's chocolate we're talking about.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Best. Answer. Ever.

Wow, good answer.

And because I'm in for the silly of reposting it. Or not reposting it. Which one was silly? :tongue:
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options

This! Also, if you want to go on the healthier side of chocolate get darker chocolate, it's best for you!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Always eat the chocolate :happy:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    i'll eat it for you
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    2 square of Lindt 90% chocolate has 120 calories. I happen to prefer dark chocolate and Lindt is my favorite. :heart:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    To eat or not to eat

EAT is always the answer

Only if it is clean.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Best. Answer. Ever.

Agreed!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    To eat or not to eat

EAT is always the answer

Only if it is clean.

You know it's always clean

chocolate is a healthy antioxidant: clean
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

In, for the quoting frenzy, as this is truly the best. answer. ever.

Plus, just look at the guy! He must know what he's talking about! :happy:
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Yep this!!!

best answer!!!!
    I eat chocolate (dark, at least 60% cocoa) every day and did as well throughout my losing phase.