U.S. Gas Prices...Protesting in Near Future?

Options

Replies

• SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    I live in the UK and drive a diesel car but am currently in the US for work, here diesel is around $3.90 a gallon .. in the UK where I live its $9 a gallon.

The UK protested .. they protested to the point that they blockaded the refineries and wouldn't let the tanker drivers through, the garages all ran out of fuel .. chaos reigned .. did it make a difference .. no, I am now paying the equivalent of nearly $100 a week to get to and from work :grumble:
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Probably when it's as high as the UK.

How high is it there?

I believe it's close to $8 a gallon there.

Around £1.37 per litre.

so about $9.45 per gallon or about $7.98 per American gallon.

Oh lord the terrible thing about the US is we arent set up like Europe where we can live without a car. Good luck living in Phoenix or LA.

Have you ever tried public transport in the UK? Agreed, on mainland Europe it is pretty good, in the UK, not so much. A few yrs ago, I worked at a place that was 18 miles away from my house. If i used public transport, I would have had to make 5 train changes and the overall journey time would have been 2.5 hrs one way!!! Sure, things are getting better, but I would never really on the public transport system,
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think that people will find ways to use less of it, like carpooling, using a fuel efficient car, and developing useful mass transit. (I spent a month in Japan...and I miss being able to go wherever I wanted to in the blink of an eye for cheap.)

I love my car to bits, but if I can help it, I try to do what I can.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

Oh lord the terrible thing about the US is we arent set up like Europe where we can live without a car. Good luck living in Phoenix or LA.

Have you ever tried public transport in the UK? Agreed, on mainland Europe it is pretty good, in the UK, not so much. A few yrs ago, I worked at a place that was 18 miles away from my house. If i used public transport, I would have had to make 5 train changes and the overall journey time would have been 2.5 hrs one way!!! Sure, things are getting better, but I would never really on the public transport system,

Yeah it's not easy when a typical commute time is 30-45minutes. So how are you managing to keep petrol in your car? What does it cost you a month to get to work?
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

Yeah it's not easy when a typical commute time is 30-45minutes. So how are you managing to keep petrol in your car? What does it cost you a month to get to work?

It costs me £0 to get to work as i now work from home :) I only use my car for going to the gym and running about at the weekend. I fill up once a month, and last time it cost me £85, which is about $130
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

How high is it there?

Around £1.37 per litre.

It costs me £0 to get to work as i now work from home :) I only use my car for going to the gym and running about at the weekend. I fill up once a month, and last time it cost me £85, which is about $130

That's wonderful! And I didnt read where you said a few years ago, LOL! Out of curiosity though for those who have to commute in the UK or europe and dont have access to public transportation. How do they do it? How do they afford to keep gas in their car so they can work?
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising my free market right to not buy gas (ultimate goal). My commute is 76 miles per day. I drive a converted (plug-in) Prius. Currently shopping for an all electric for the wife. I have no electric bill. I have solar panels on the house. Its fun driving on sunshine.

I know too much about geology and economics to believe the long term trend on fossil fuel prices will EVER be down.

Spend your retirement money wisely. Now, before retirement, on gas .....not my cup of tea. During retirement on travel and entertainment.....now your talking.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Most people view gas as a necessity, not an option. So most likely people will always buy it.

I remember when gas was $1.00 and everyone complained. Then it hit $1.50 and people said, "I wish it were a dollar!" Now that gas is $3.85+, people are saying, "I wish it were $3.50 again!"

It's a never ending cycle. No one is going to stop buying it.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Gas is so cheap in the US.....
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just sold my SUV and got a much more fuel efficient Mazda 3 Hatchback which gets 39 mpg (2012 Skyactive motor). Hopefully my gas bill will shrink dramatically after switching from a 14 mpg Turbo premium gas hog. Basically we have to change our ways because the prices aren't going to change.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Only when gas is pricey will we change our ways. So I say let it come, and then people will clamor for alternatives :) We all make our beds,, lie in them.

I agree with this.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Exxon-funny-gas-station-sign.gif

gas_prices-12603.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just sold my SUV and got a much more fuel efficient Mazda 3 Hatchback which gets 39 mpg (2012 Skyactive motor). Hopefully my gas bill will shrink dramatically after switching from a 14 mpg Turbo premium gas hog. Basically we have to change our ways because the prices aren't going to change.

Correction - it's rated at 39mpg highway by the EPA, but the EPA over estimates gasoline cars. You will be lucky to see 32mpg with it if it's an automatic.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Even if people did protest, the prices wouldn't change.

^^Unfortunately, this is true. We all have to get to work, take our kids places, etc. Cycling is not an option for me for work, as it would take me about 3 hours to get to work by cycle. By car it's about 45 minutes. Traffic sucks, but what can I do, not work to support myself?

I already cut back on my volunteering, and only go out on the weekends to my yoga class then grocery shop after. Otherwise I try not to drive the car unless I have to.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Aren't there more important things to protest in the US? SMH.
  • Underworld_Dandy
    Underworld_Dandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Motorcycles people....Motorcycles. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Gas price is $0.45 here.

When you invade a country for oil... make sure you get the oil.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Even if people did protest, the prices wouldn't change.

^^Unfortunately, this is true. We all have to get to work, take our kids places, etc. Cycling is not an option for me for work, as it would take me about 3 hours to get to work by cycle. By car it's about 45 minutes. Traffic sucks, but what can I do, not work to support myself?

I already cut back on my volunteering, and only go out on the weekends to my yoga class then grocery shop after. Otherwise I try not to drive the car unless I have to.

I had to cut back on volunteering, too. I used to do transports, picking up shelter dogs from one place and taking them to their new home, or foster home, and I can't afford to do it anymore. My commute to work is about 45-60 minutes one way, depending on traffic, and if I drove to the metro it would cost the same between parking and metro fees. There's no bus route where I am, so that's not an option, either.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think when we have a Republican President. Because then it would be automatically they are in bed with the oil companies.

Personally when we are sitting on a huge oil reserve surplus, no not the country's oil reserve....oil that is sitting in tanks because demand is down. Also when ever we kick OPEC to the curb as there are other nations with larger oil fields.

I was paying $5.50 a gallon for gas in California under President Bush, and there were no protests..... people hollered, but there was no organization.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Gas price is $0.45 here.

When you invade a country for oil... make sure you get the oil.

One would think that woulda been common sense, y'know? Get the oil and get the **** out