Processed Foods Hindering Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, focus on accurate tracking and logging as this is likely the culprit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was looking at one of your entries for homemade spaghetti, ground beef and sauce - 1 cup @ 180c. If you had 1/3c spaghetti, 1/3 cup sauce and 1/3 cup very lean ground beef - that's well over 180c, probably more like 300+. 1 cup of those 3 things mixed together is an extremely small portion when you think about how bulky the pasta and meat are. That's just an example. A serving of nuts is usually around 10 nuts. I think a food scale would be really beneficial for you.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Don't plan on losing wright faster if you're going to just keep doing whatever on weekends and holidays.

x2 Honestly, we underestimate the amount of food we can shovel down our gullets in one day. I've counted 10k in a day. For serious.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't do a lot of processed food. It totally hinders my weight loss. What about really simple lunches of boiled eggs and fresh raw veggies? I do that a lot and it's super easy.

It's interesting how it is often men that get on these threads and insist, to women, that weight loss is ONLY about calories in and out and that quality of food does not matter at all. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. The body is a complex system with HORMONES and different foods affect those hormones in very different ways. Women often have a more difficult struggle with metabolic issues than men. Most of us have struggled many years believing that it is only calories in/out and willpower only to discover that conventional dieting advice does NOT work, and actually harms our health. But we have to keep hearing "calories in, calories out", and that it's something we did wrong that mere calorie restriction did not work. BS.

Processed food is definitely not for me. When I eat lots of processed foods I cannot control cravings and my health deteriorates. Read the ingredients on the labels. I cannot tolerate wheat, corn, canola, soy, msg, etc and that stuff, one or more, is in almost every food that comes in a package. (I am NOT a special snowflake; many people are sick from their diets and don't have a clue-not their fault when most doctors are clueless on nutrition as well). Food manufacturers spend much time and money on researching how to make their food more desirable (addictive) so that we will eat more and BUY more. No that's not a conspiracy, it's right out in the open.

OP: I would suggest also being concientious of your macro ratio. Dried fruit is killer for me. Sugar is still sugar and dried fruit is an especially dense form of it. I have no problems with RAW, unsalted nuts and they don't stimulate me to over eat. However, roasted and salted nuts DO create cravings. Again, it's the processing and added refined salt (sea salt is fine for me), and added oils such as canola, soy, peanut (I don't eat peanuts-cuz they are not nuts). Don't avoid healthy fats; they are our best friend for health and weight loss.

Edit: even though I think the calories issue is lesser than quality, I do still measure and track my food. For fun, and good practice, I do often estimate a portion by eye and then weigh it. I am extremely accurate with small portions. I find bigger portions harder to judge so I enter all the ingredients in a recipe in MFP and then measure how many cups/servings are in the entire dish.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't do a lot of processed food. It totally hinders my weight loss. What about really simple lunches of boiled eggs and fresh raw veggies? I do that a lot and it's super easy.

It's interesting how it is often men that get on these threads and insist, to women, that weight loss is ONLY about calories in and out and that quality of food does not matter at all. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. The body is a complex system with HORMONES and different foods affect those hormones in very different ways. Women often have a more difficult struggle with metabolic issues than men. Most of us have struggled many years believing that it is only calories in/out and willpower only to discover that conventional dieting advice does NOT work, and actually harms our health. But we have to keep hearing "calories in, calories out", and that it's something we did wrong that mere calorie restriction did not work. BS.

Processed food is definitely not for me. When I eat lots of processed foods I cannot control cravings and my health deteriorates. Read the ingredients on the labels. I cannot tolerate wheat, corn, canola, soy, msg, etc and that stuff, one or more, is in almost every food that comes in a package. (I am NOT a special snowflake; many people are sick from their diets and don't have a clue-not their fault when most doctors are clueless on nutrition as well). Food manufacturers spend much time and money on researching how to make their food more desirable (addictive) so that we will eat more and BUY more. No that's not a conspiracy, it's right out in the open.

OP: I would suggest also being concientious of your macro ratio. Dried fruit is killer for me. Sugar is still sugar and dried fruit is an especially dense form of it. I have no problems with RAW, unsalted nuts and they don't stimulate me to over eat. However, roasted and salted nuts DO create cravings. Again, it's the processing and added refined salt (sea salt is fine for me), and added oils such as canola, soy, peanut (I don't eat peanuts-cuz they are not nuts). Don't avoid healthy fats; they are our best friend for health and weight loss.

Edit: even though I think the calories issue is lesser than quality, I do still measure and track my food. For fun, and good practice, I do often estimate a portion by eye and then weigh it. I am extremely accurate with small portions. I find bigger portions harder to judge so I enter all the ingredients in a recipe in MFP and then measure how many cups/servings are in the entire dish.

I MOSTLY agree with what Akimajuktuq had to say until the "OP:" part. Just like calories are not necessarily created equal, neither are sugars. Unrefined sugars coming from fruits and veggies are fine for you, and completely different than the refined sugar coating most dried fruits. It isn't the sugar IN the fruit thats the problem, its the sugar ON the fruit. And too much fat can be an issue as well (remember, hormones and how different people react to different types of foods). In the end, it really IS about calories in vs calories out, but unfortunately you can't accurately measure what calories your body can actually use due to the hormonal response to different food intakes. The law of thermodynamics is stable and sound, but it isn't as easy as looking at the nutrient issue on the side of the box. Experiment with your diet and see what works best for you and that will give you the best results. Act like a scientist with your body being the test subject/experiment. Control the amount and types of food going in and your accurate calorie expenditure (I would use a heart rate monitor) and document everything and you should be able to find trends with what you're eating and not eating.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Accurate logging is the key. For me ready-made (processed) food actually makes it easy to stay accurate, because they are barcoded and have relatively accurate calorie count. Unless you faithfully weigh and log every single ingredient it's tougher to be accurate with homemade food.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Word.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Funny, I am a 45 year old woman and I agree with them.

Women's struggles with metabolic issues are carb related and not processed food related. And not all women have insulin sensitivity.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: It will not be the processed foods directly hindering weight loss. It is more than likely the fact that you are not logging and tracking accurately that is hindering it.

Limiting processed foods may help however as they are oftentimes (depending on what we are talking about) less satiating than whole foods on a calorie per calorie perspective.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Funny, I am a 45 year old woman and I agree with them.

Women's struggles with metabolic issues are carb related and not processed food related. And not all women have insulin sensitivity.

I agree with them and with her.

OP, listen to Sara, she helped many people on this board. Good luck
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I sometimes think that the clean eaters on here think that processed food eaters are less valued with their opinions etc... It's all it is freedom of speech. You don't get fat on processed food... You get fat by eating too many overall calories and not moving more.

A sedentary lifestyle is ad more dangerous than than a processed food lifestyle lol.
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    Sme woman needing less carbs may be due to not having enough muscle mass??? I don't know just guessing that because men have more muscle they can use carbs more efficiently?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just because you cannot tolerate wheat, corn etc and just because you cannot control your cravings, does not mean other people cannot. A lot of people react badly to seafood for example.but they do not project that on others.
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I asked the wrong question at the beginning. But you're starting to answer what I looked for.

I've re-evaluated my weight loss goals and extended the "dead line" for my goal weight.

I am going to aim to stop eating so much processed foods and work on making my own lunches with stuff from my mom's garden so I'm eating more real fruits and vegetables.

Sticking with nuts because they're a healthy way to help me stay full, even if they are calorie dense. I will cut the portion sizes in half so I still have snacks to eat.

I'm going to stop eating my calories back and log my exercise as "1 calorie burned" in one lump of what I do during the day.

My TDEE is ~2205 and I'm going to eat somewhere between 1700-1800 a day and allow myself to go over once a month (instead of once a week like I was doing before).

Also, most of the time when I write "I'm assuming" I'm being sarcastic. So apologies on a miss-communication there.

Still hoping that cutting processed foods will lower my sodium, which will help me drop water weight, if there is any. *crosses fingers that there is*

It'll take at least a week to eat the food I do have, but hopefully by the first full week in August, my diary will reflect these decisions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sme woman needing less carbs may be due to not having enough muscle mass??? I don't know just guessing that because men have more muscle they can use carbs more efficiently?

Women that have PCOS and some that are post menopausal do better on lower carbs, as do people with hypothyroid and some people with insulin sensitivity due to being overweight. While it does not negate the energy equation, there is a downstream effect of lowering their metabolism and therefore impacting the calories out part of the equation. As a side note, they also do better with exercise, particularly strength training.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Fruits and nuts are carbs and fats.

How is this in any way a good substitute for a protein bar?

Nuts have PROTEIN as well as good fats. And you know, most protein bars also have some fat and carbs as well.
  • KBSwinger
    Options

Women that have PCOS and some that are post menopausal do better on lower carbs, as do people with hypothyroid and some people with insulin sensitivity due to being overweight. While it does not negate the energy equation, there is a downstream effect of lowering their metabolism and therefore impacting the calories out part of the equation. As a side note, they also do better with exercise, particularly strength training.

Yes!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You're right. It's actually magic. The only way for women to lose weight is wizardry. We men keep that as our little secret because we want our women to stay fat so we sabotage their weight loss by telling them about Law of Thermodynamics. But's it's all a crock. Just a conspiracy invented by us insecure men to prevent our women from losing weight, looking hot, and leaving us for better looking guys.

5UhJHYz.jpg
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    But then again unless you have special needs and were told that you have a disease of sorts you should follow instructions but for those without any why put yourself through torture and all the OCD lol