Easy snacks for travel

Options
So, on Sunday I will be moving to the state in which my college is located. This is a two day trip and I was wondering if the lovely users of MFP would suggest some easy snacks to eat while on the road. I'm going to be in the passenger seat but I don't have a cooler of any sorts. Therefore, my usual go to snacks (carrots, yogurt, and nutrition shakes) are off the table.

Any help would be lovely!

tumblr_inline_moieotcPFG1r16s8n.gif

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Why can't you bring carrots?

How about some healthy cauliflower?
  • dorawwr
    dorawwr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I'm traveling, I usually bring fruit and bottled water with me. You could try apples, bananas, or dried fruit. They don't require refrigeration. For protein, beef jerky is a good option as well.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Carrots do not need to be kept cool. Neither do apples, pb&j sandwiches, single serving ranch dressing or hummus packets, crackers, baked chips, beef jerky, trail mix, sunflower seeds.

Also if you freeze yogurt before you leave, it will stay cool for several hours. It doesn't change the taste.
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great snacks to take on the road....

Protein bars, nuts (almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds), When you stop to get gas, can also get a cheese stick (and sometimes they have hard boiled eggs)
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I question the health (sugar) of most yogurt, but they too can be done at least for day without a cooler. any fruit (dried or fresh) or chopped veggies would be fine. turkey jerky, freeze dried peas, peanut butter. Stop at grocery stores for fresh choices at meals.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oatie cookies are really easy to make! Also raisins, nuts, a salad pitta?
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Mom2Lizzy Posts: 23
    Options
    Buy a lunch bag you can freeze and pack some things for first leg of trip - be sure to eat them first. Nuts, rice cakes, seeds, apples and fruit cups all will last without refrigeration.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find it odd you don't have a cooler of some sort? Personally, I would pick up a lunch size soft cooler from Target for cheap. They come in handy for a lot of things, not just road trips.

Anyway, I was on a recent road trip and took apples, pre-protioned trail mix and nuts. I found every time we stopped for gas they had fruit, yogurt or single servings of cheese available. So you should be able to get that stuff on the road without the cooler.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, mandarines, kiwi fruit, prunes, dates, almonds, sugar-free pastilles, all should be OK? Also some things come in small ring-pull cans like baked beans - cold but I still love them! Look for some pre-packaged "snacks" like little pots of canned fruit in juice, rice crackers etc. Take a spoon! And it's only two days so even if you fall foul of some greasy takeaway it wouldn't be the end of the earth! Lots of water bottles, fill up at petrol stations.

You could bake some healthy stuff - search Morning Glory muffins in the recipe section of the forum. I used to cook these and eat them on my 1 1/2 hour train commute for breakfast. They would last a couple of days I should think?

Good luck on your studies, take care - you will be a long way from home!