Healthy and SIMPLE breakfast ideas

Options
I've always had to have breakfast. I don't care how early I wake up-my body has gone hours without food and I get sick if I don't. But that's good right, they say you should eat breakfast :) I learned when I married my husband that we are from 2 very different versions of health with the families we were raised in. But we don't have problems compromising i.e. he was used to whole milk, I was used to skim milk, so now we are a 2% milk family.

But I look at how we are not that healthy (both overweight) and how we want OUR family to be, what I want our kids to eat. No kids on the way yet, but better to get into a good habit now!

Long story short, I'm used to eating cereal. That's right, that lame-o processed stuff. I usually have to eat 2 bowls though because it's not filling enough. I don't have time or energy to make breakfasts that involve cooking eggs or waffles or really any cooking beyond making toast....

so aside from yogurt and granola (healthy low-sugar homemade, none of that sugar packed junk from the store) and boiled eggs/whole wheat toast, what kinds of healthy breakfasts that are FILLING and EASY do you recommend? I suppose a smoothie wouldn't be bad if the fruits were all prepped ahead of time...

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As for smoothies, buy frozen fruits. They'll already be prepared. Just add yogurt and/or milk, a banana, peanut butter, protein powder, veggies, etc.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast daily. I buy the unsweetened, unflavored ones, and then add berries, nuts, chocolate, banana, spices etc. Lots of possible combinations.

Hope it helps :D
  • T1DAnna
    T1DAnna Posts: 7
    Options
    Edited because I didn't read carefully.
    I like heating up leftovers(I know some people need typical breakfast foods for breakfast but I never have)
    Just a random idea if you feel like dinner for breakfast
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't usually break my fast till around 11 or noon, but some easy meals are hb eggs (can be done up to a week in advance and kept in the fridge, as long as you keep the shells on), oatmeal-this is my new favorite thing! It only takes a couple minutes to prepare and you can add so many different things to it! Green smoothies are awesome for their nutrients-I have one every day and it takes under 5 minutes to make. Very filling! Otherwise, think outside the 'breakfast' box-leftovers are great, as well as things like rice and veggies, which keep well for several days in the fridge and take seconds to reheat. Greek yogurt is another good one-add some fruit to it and it's super filling and good for you. Or what about crackers, cheese and olives? All are easily portable if you get some reusable containers.
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Power Green Smoothie!

My typical smoothie:

1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    4- 5 strawberries
    1 handful blueberries
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup kale
    1 tbsp flaxseed
    1 scoop protein powder

Also, you can look up recipes for scrambled eggs in a mug using just egg whites or whole eggs. Super easy and quick and will give you healthy fats and protein to keep you full!
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    some times I will poach 2 eggs, and put it on a 100 calorie sandwich thin with 2 slices of ham, also love egg white scrambles, egg whites, mushrooms, red onion and baby spinach
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Eggs seriously don't take a lot of time or effort, and they're cheap, filling, and versatile. I can make scrambled eggs and get them from the fridge to the table in ten minutes. More if I decide to add stuff and make omelettes (or, more accurately, meat/veggie scrambles; still can't quite nail the fold-and-flip), but most of that time is spent cutting up whatever I use for fillings, because it's usually a spur-of-the-moment decision. It's beyond easy if you keep stuff like diced onions, diced peppers, sliced mushrooms, crumbled sausage, diced ham, or shredded cheese ready to go in the fridge. You can even cook scrambled eggs in the microwave; you don't have to mess around with hot pans and burners early in the morning.

Oatmeal is another good option. To beef it up a bit, add in half a mashed banana, an egg (I just really like eggs, ok guys?), some cinnamon and a touch of honey/agave nectar. Mix it all together very well, microwave for a minute on high. You'll get a dense oatmeal-cake that tastes like banana bread. Oatmeal is also incredibly versatile, and you can do a lot with it. Mix up some rolled oats with a bit of milk and yogurt, along with whatever other toppings you want (berries, nut butter, peaches, cinnamon, whatevs), leave it in the fridge overnight, and eat in the morning, no heating required. There are recipes for overnight oats all over the internet, take a look.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the oatmeal. You can make the plain old fashioned oats in only a minute or two right in the microwave. I like to mix 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup water, cook for 1 minute, then add 1/2 cup applesauce.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I make a breakfast burrito in like 2 minutes. I have tortillas, cooked breakfast turkey sausages and sliced cheese on hand all the time. All I have to do is take everything out, scramble an egg in a bowl and microwave it for 40 seconds (it makes a mini omelet), put that in the tortilla, add cheese, nuke the sausages for 20 seconds, and roll up. Super easy, 250-300 calories depending on the tortilla/cheese/sausage you use, 20ish grams of protein, fills you up.

Or greek yogurt with fresh fruit and/or granola. Whenever I have cereal, I'm always hungry two hours later, if that.

Or yes a smoothie with greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen fruit.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I still eat cereal... but I also eat hardboiled eggs (you can even buy them pre-packaged for convenience), bacon b/c it cooks quickly, oatmeal (lower sugar organic, usually). When I do have cereal I almost always put some fruit in with it, like blueberries or strawberries. You can make a quick sandwich with an egg, bacon, and whole grain bread. (you can even buy pre-cooked bacon) ...or even use canadian bacon or ham. I do like yogurt and berries, but often find it isn't very filling so I have a piece of toast or add an apple or something. Smoothies are good as is juicing, but I like to chew. lol.
  • peggymdellinger
    Options
    I make a breakfast burrito in like 2 minutes. I have tortillas, cooked breakfast turkey sausages and sliced cheese on hand all the time. All I have to do is take everything out, scramble an egg in a bowl and microwave it for 40 seconds (it makes a mini omelet), put that in the tortilla, add cheese, nuke the sausages for 20 seconds, and roll up. Super easy, 250-300 calories depending on the tortilla/cheese/sausage you use, 20ish grams of protein, fills you up.

Or greek yogurt with fresh fruit and/or granola. Whenever I have cereal, I'm always hungry two hours later, if that.

Or yes a smoothie with greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen fruit.

Love the breakfast tortilla idea. I'll have to try that!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I make bacon egg and veggie cupcakes cook once and eat for a few days : eggs or egg whites if you so wish and any veggies you like precook turkey bacon til half done put turkey bacon in a cupcake pan around the edges pour mixed up eggs and veggies into pan bake til fluffy not brown, put in ziplock baggie once cool. Pop out of fridge microwave for 30 seconds put on a piece of whole grain bread or eat as is. Yummy and quick and low calories
  • KelseyLK1
    KelseyLK1 Posts: 26
    Options
    hmm some of my favorite breakfast ideas-
    whole wheat english muffin with a little bit of peanut or almond butter & half a sliced banana on top
    oatmeal with fruit mixed in (maybe a tiny bit of honey to make it sweeter)
    whole wheat bagel w/ low cal topping
    scrambled eggs with half an avocado on the side
    egg sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread
    fruit smoothie

these are all quick & easy to make + they keep me full for a long time :)
  • peggymdellinger
    Options
    Mix up some rolled oats with a bit of milk and yogurt, along with whatever other toppings you want (berries, nut butter, peaches, cinnamon, whatevs), leave it in the fridge overnight, and eat in the morning, no heating required. There are recipes for overnight oats all over the internet, take a look.

Just mixed this up for tomorrow's breakfast. Oats, milk, Tropical fruit greek yogurt, and chia seeds. Gonna be good!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is AMAZING and requires barely any time in the morning because you prep it all the night before. It's super healthy and extremely filling!!!

Overnight Oats

NIGHT BEFORE: Put this all into a bowl or jar and combine
    1/3 cup of rolled oats (30g)
    1/2 cup almond milk (or normal 2% milk is fine too)
    1 - 3g Chia Seeds (optional)
    1 - 2g LSA meal (optional)
    1 tsp of natural peanut butter (optional)
    15-20g protein powder (vanilla or chocolate - optional)

Leave in the fridge over night

MORNING: mix and then put into the microwave for 2-3minutes

Add any fruit (I love blueberries, strawberries, goji fruits etc.)
    Add natural sweetener (Nativa or Stevia or honey)

Combine and ENJOY. You can also have them cold if you like and have them on the go, but I love mine warm, especially now because its winter!!! Ohhhhh and oats are a SUPERFOOD :heart: super healthy xo
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There's nothing really wrong with cereal if you choose a low fat/sugar variety. Add fruit. I've found that it is important to consider the things you really like and just make it work for you. I always walk before breakfast...somehow it just makes it taste even better :) Changing your lifestyle doesn't mean you have to give up things you love...it just means you have to plan and balance better.