Best way to measure body fat?

Options
I bought calipers to measure my body fat and then entered in the info on a website... I was 14% BF. There were multiple ways to calculate it so I thought I'd try one of the other methods.... It was wayyy different. Then I tried another method using a tape measure and it was different again.

I take my measurements and they're the same... It's just the BF % changes depending on which method I use :/

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    In order of accuracy:
    DEXA scan.
    Then Hydro/Bodpod
    Then calipers / tape
    Then just looking at pictures and guessing
    Then body fat scales
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    calipers are only accurate if you really know how to use them, or so I've heard.

I have no idea what my bf% is, one day I'm going to get it tested by a professional and find out!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    In order of accuracy:
    DEXA scan.
    Then Hydro/Bodpod
    Then calipers / tape
    Then body fat scales

Yup, the electrical impedance body fat scales are waaaay off, easily the worst method, definitely worse than eyeballing.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in the look at your body shape group :smile:
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    In order of accuracy:
    DEXA scan.
    Then Hydro/Bodpod
    Then calipers / tape
    Then body fat scales

I was using a website that had different methods using the calipers... One you measure ab, thigh, tricep, and suprailiac and enter it in... But another method you measure bi, tri, subscapular, and suprailiac...... There were like 5 diff ways but each one had me at a diff BF :/ ?
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went and had a BodPod test done about a month ago. It was super easy and cost me $75. I had been going to a place where you get BF testing via a scale that measures impedence (or something like that) through your feet and hands. Turns out my prior testing wasn't that far off. I was actually 23.5% vs 24.5%.

The doctor with the BodPod talked to me about the Dexa scan and she only suggests DEXA if you're also at an age or heath where you should have bone density tested as well. Since it emits radiation, having more than a couple isn't necessarily the best thing for you. She equated it to getting multiple X-rays...

The BodPod test overall was very easy and quick. I'll be retesting in another month to see how I'm progressing on my weightlifting. I've put on about 4lbs since my test. I'm hoping most of it is muscle.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what mine really is. I guess it using my measurements and the online calculators. To do it that way comes out at 25%. To look at a picture chart, I look about 30-35%. I want to get it measured by a professional, but to be honest, I'm scared. Lol.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    I was using a website that had different methods using the calipers... One you measure ab, thigh, tricep, and suprailiac and enter it in... But another method you measure bi, tri, subscapular, and suprailiac...... There were like 5 diff ways but each one had me at a diff BF :/ ?

There are some potential issues with user error and measurement location, and maybe your very successful weight loss has resulted in loose skin that might throw a couple measurements off. Might want to jump up a level (hydro/bodpod) if you're really curious.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

There are some potential issues with user error and measurement location, and maybe your very successful weight loss has resulted in loose skin that might throw a couple measurements off. Might want to jump up a level (hydro/bodpod) if you're really curious.

That makes sense... I'll look into one of those! Thanks so much!
  • Benzo500
    Benzo500 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The most accurate are supposed to be the Hydrostatic (underwater) Body Composition Testing and Bod Pod scan.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In order of accuracy:
    DEXA scan.
    Then Hydro/Bodpod
    Then calipers / tape
    Then body fat scales
    You missed one. The most accurate is an autopsy. :wink:
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    In order of accuracy:
    DEXA scan.
    Then Hydro/Bodpod
    Then calipers / tape
    Then body fat scales
    You missed one. The most accurate is an autopsy. :wink:

Haha! At that point that I don't think I'll care tho lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If one doesn't have experience using calipers, the numbers could be totally off. Just even "pinching" correctly counts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i read a post on here a while back and here's what the guy did since he was still learning how to use the calipers as well.

pay for the bod pod to get your actual bf%
    now go and learn how to use the calipers since you already know the answer
    continue to use calipers to track progress.

i bought some calipers about a month ago and im going through the learning curve as well. so even if i'm not doing it perfectly, i can at least take readings the same way every time and track progress. when it's all said and done, the only important factor is the mirror and pics
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    best way can mean a lot of things

Best price? Most accurate? Most convenient? Most consistent?
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I tried measuring it using the Pollock 3, 4, 7, and Parrillo methods... They were all really close, between 14-16% BF..... I did the measuring tape and it was about 10% more... But the tape isn't as accurate?

How do I find a place that does the bod mod measurement?
  • jwdieter
    Options

Google search for bod pod (your city) should get you there. Or hydrostatic body fat testing (your city).
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

Google search for bod pod (your city) should get you there. Or hydrostatic body fat testing (your city).

Thanks!! I'll try that... I'm curious enough I might just do it :)
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    OMG, I didnt even notice you have lost 150lbs!

insane effort, congrats
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.

There was a guy on bb dot com (lose fat section) that lost a large amount of weight and had his BF measured by Bodpod, dexa, calipers, dunk tank, and visual estimates by the group. It is quite interesting to see the variation. It is a little different once you add in a bit of left over skin (got it too, no judging here).