insanity and p90x people....and weight significant weight lo

Options
Hi there. so i am currently on Insanity and walking/running with my Mother-in-law 2-3x a week. i know that with insanity the cals burned are a litttle over then walking/running because with walking and running you are in your target heart rate zone more than intense workouts like insanity or p90x. so my question is for you guys.......i only lost like 5 on p90x and not very much so far on insanity. so wanted to know peoples results on these programs because it seems like these types of programs are more for toning up, getting fit, shaping up and inreases endurance more than loosing weight. toning up and loosing inhes are evident but weight loss not so much. kind of in a tough sport because i got a lot to still loose, hit my half way mark and think that maybe i should wait on these and do something that more fat burning than endurance building because i'm getting discouraged. most of my friends that have done these programs havent lost much weight. i think i want to focus more on weight loss than toning up and getting fit. what do you think?

i have no gym mebership and have limited things i can do other than my programs but i need to shred the pounds! and its discouring to see me at the same weight since march!!! grrrr......thanks for the help

Replies

• MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Good question,

Well, I would want to do both, lifting to tone and burn fat, and cardio to lose the weight. I would just remember to incorporate cardio to lose those pounds. I completed Insanity and lost very little like 3 pounds- I was also really hungry and did the recommended diet plan of about 2000 for me. So next time I do it, I plan on cutting more calories.

I'm also in the middle of P90x , and find that cardio is waht helps me lose those pounds, and weights help me look better in clothing, and not make everythign saggy.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    My husband told me that even though I lost 15lbs from Insanity, I might have lost more but don't realize it because of my muscle gain.

I read that many women don't lose as much weight but def lose a lot of inches. I had weighed and measure myself weekly and I always seen the tape measure move! I even have my husband measure me to make sure my measurements matched up to his
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I did my first round of P90X, I lost 5 lbs too. I did tone up, but I was discouraged at the weight loss. This round, we switched to Lean (I love my hubby, he lost 15 lbs the first round and needed to bulk up and not do lean, but he is doing it with me!) and I lowered my calories from the 2400 I was eating per the nutrition guide to 1800. We are on day 81 and I have lost 16.5 lbs this round - so yes, it can be used for weight loss. I started at my heaviest weight not pregnant and had 42 lbs to lose. I'm at my halfway point now. Um, Insanity burns a whole lot more calories than walking/running. :D I have easily seen 1000 calories burned when my friends post their workouts.

One more thing that I have done this round is stick to the 8-10 rep range. I don't have crazy big muscles (as a woman, you're not going to get them) but I feel strong and I believe that that muscle has also really helped with my fat loss. I have lost 4.5 inches in my waist these 81 days as well.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did one round of P90 and lost 30 pounds and then did P90X and didn't lose any more. I have currently been mixing it up between running on my treadmill and Jillian Micheal's workouts She has a bunch and so far I have lost 13pounds from them. I can't get to the gym either (I have 4 kids who take a lot of my time along with a job) so I get up in the morning and workout first thing. I have also gotten the biggest loser workouts and started putting them in the rotation too.
  • Cina04
    Options
    Oh and with Insanity I didn't see the weight come off until like week 4 into recovery week. SInce my body was sore/in shock it was retaining water until I started to drink 10 - 16 cups a day of water (that is all I drink unless it's a free day I'll sip on some soda but even when we go out to eat on my cheat I still drink water...lol)
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    ok thanks you girls. its like i am doing cardio with insanity but not loosing the weight like cardio gives you. but with insaity i feel like its more calenstics than ardio because its a lot of body weight stuff and thats where the toning and shaping up comes from. grrrr.....maybe i should just walk and run everyday and only eat 1300 cals and see what that gives me lol
  • Cina04
    Options
    I'm doing Hip Hop Abs & Brazil Butt Lift....So I'll let you know how that goes. My friend said she lost 30lbs from Brazil Butt Lift...i need ot go ask her if that was just in one round of it
  • Cina04
    Options
    I'm doing Hip Hop Abs & Brazil Butt Lift....So I'll let you know how that goes. My friend said she lost 30lbs from Brazil Butt Lift...i need ot go ask her if that was just in one round of it
  • mmmpink
    Options
    The people who have amazing results from P90X and Insanity are the people who follow the nutrition plans to a T. Remember, weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% working out and genetics.
    It doesn't matter what exercise you're doing, if you're not eating the right things you won't get the results you're looking for.
    I know it sucks, because I have trouble with it too. The working out part is easy, the eating right part is what's so hard. But it's the only way.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The people who have amazing results from P90X and Insanity are the people who follow the nutrition plans to a T. Remember, weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% working out and genetics.
    It doesn't matter what exercise you're doing, if you're not eating the right things you won't get the results you're looking for.

I can kind of agree with that. I lost 24 lbs during P90X and no more than 3 lbs during Insanity. Regarding diet, I was on a 1700 calorie diet that was like 50% carb at the time of P90X. The P90X diet plan as you all know requires 2,000 or more calories a day at 50% protein.

During Insanity (63 days) I dropped my calories to 1500 a day and my weight loss stalled. I was netting less than 1200 calories a day with 700-980 calories burned.

I am now doing a P90X and Insanity hybrid @ 1700 calories. Will keep you posted.
  • pdreino
    Options
    I did three rounds of P90x and had good results, but no weight loss. Never really followed the nutrition plan. I have a week and a half left of my first round of Insanity and have lost over 15 pounds. I didn't even think I had that much to lose. I'm 5'10" and started at 173 pounds. But as mentioned above, I followed the nutrition plan to the letter and it was very difficult at times. Insanity sent my appetite through the roof, so I was always hungry. But as I'm nearing the end, I really like the way I look (ripped, can see my abs for the first time ever), although some of my friends and family say I'm too lean. After Insanity I'm going to do a P90x/Insanity hybrid. Really miss the weight training.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    My experience with p90x was that it made me gain weight. I did not follow their diet but was doing weight watchers. Once I dropped the p90x I dropped the lbs. I think in the future I will try it out again but only when I am closer to my goal weight. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, I couldnt express that enough. It's the only thing that works for me. If you are limited on fund for a gym or time ... try looking into the 30 day Shred dvd by Jillian Michaels ... 8 bucks on amazon and I heard it does wonders for a lot of women
  • p90xokc
    Options
    I started out at around 220 lbs (im 6 ft. tall) when I started insanity. No weight loss until the end of the 2nd week. I'm about to end my 6th week and I'm at 209. I keep my calories between 1,700 and 2,100 per day.