Help! I am overtraining!

Options
So I just started MFP about 6 weeks ago. The first few weeks I was not eating enough calories and drinking enough water. I changed that and for two whole weeks I was doing awesome. I had soooo much energy and I felt great. Then I stopped being able to sleep, needing to sleep for two hours after a workout and getting VERY snippy. Well, this week I have been exhausted. :( My walking goal was to do a 4 min mile and I average about 16:30 min per mile now. Not too bad. I can go about 2 min at 13 min/mile.
I just got my HRM and today my HB was around 150! That mean High intensity. MHR (185) So after avid googling, I need help. What might I do to stop this over-training? YEs, yes, I am a little enthusiastic about EVERY thing I start, but I consider this health adventure to be too important to up and stop because I overdid it. Should I wait a whole week before I start at a lower intensity? should I eat a maintenance (I think is 2300 cals) during this time? Anything I can do differently when I feel better? Ideas, funny jokes, concerns, just want to high-jack the thread? Consider me open. (let me open my diary to everyone.:smokin:

Replies

• milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand...a heart rate of 150 isn't high intensity, even for a MHR of 184. That is borderline cardio and steady state, but hardly pushing the envelope. And you can't measure your state of overtraining as accurately with your exercise heart rate. It needs to be on your resting heart rate first thing on waking up before getting out of bed. If your true resting heart rate (laying in bed after peacefully waking up) is 15-20% higher than "normal", then it is indicative of overtraining. Slow down on the training for a while to get a baseline of true resting heart rate by measuring it first thing in the morning for a week or so. After you get a stable average, start picking up the workouts again and see how your heart rate responds in the AM. If it is too high, it is because your heart and muscles have not recovered from your workouts appropriately and you need to take it easier, but if it stays more or less stable keep on truckin'!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just eat 20-25% below your maintenence level, and spend a few hours a day walking? Dont worry about speed until you drop some weight and get yoru body a little healthier, it will come it just takes time. Maybe start the C25K program. I dont think you are over training. Walk longer not faster, that will be good for you for a few months.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    That does not sound like overtraining to me.
    When I run, I am often at 90% of my max, and even my biking keeps me at 140s to 150s for several hours at a time.
    I suppose it is possible you rushed into doing too much, too soon, or that you are not eating enough to cover what you do.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Well its probably because you have stopped being able to sleep that your exhausted and snippy, sleeping is very important etc..
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First of all, ignore the stats about maximum heart rate. It is literally based on nothing. Some scientists made up a random number to calculate heart rate and energy expenditure at 220 minus your age as a place holder until they could get research grant money to find out the real formula for MHR. The grant money never came and some coaches started passing around the formula as if it were gospel until now, no one even questions it. It means nothing. My MHR is much, much higher than that calculation due to endurance training.

In order to find your real MHR, you have to hook yourself up to a HRM and get tested by a doctor or exercise physiologist. (S)he will put you on a treadmill and run you into the dirt. You will probably vomit and could possibly pass out from the level of exertion needed to force you up to your maximum heart rate.

Otherwise, use your perceived level of exertion as a basis for how hard you are training. The breath-test is the best measure:

Breathing normally=very light exertion
    Able to maintain a conversation, but mildly breathless= light exertion
    Talking is difficult but still possible=moderate exertion
    unable to hold a conversation, can only speak 1-2 words between breaths= heavy exertion
    Gasping for breath/breathlessness=maximum exertion

For burning fat you want to work it between moderate to heavy exertion.

Easy peasy. Don't worry about the "formula." You know how your body works/feels. Just go with that.
  • reneeisnowhere
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the replies. As for the Max HR, i am pretty sure 185 is my max. I had a stress test last year, and I remember trying to make it to 190, and getting to 189. I *was* proud by almost making it, considering my fitness was pretty poor.

I did go to the doc for a full physical and my Aunt in a PHD in nutrition, so I will send her my results to see what she recommends food-wise.

I know something is wrong with me now. I don't feel like I can concentrate, and sleeping seems to not happen except after I work out. I am muddled and have a slightly off balance feeling. I did feel a little better until after the walk I had today, and I barely made it home. I am increasing food for the next couple of days and water intake. I'll post again as I learn new things.

Once again, Thanks for the input!
  • Jcrowder2169
    Options
    What is your sugar intake like? It sounds like that could be some of your issues in hitting a wall after a workout.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What are you training for?