Vegetarians-how much protein do you aim for every day?

Options
SJVZEE
SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
I'm transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet and keep reading conflicting info on the amount of protein we need. From the different posts here it seems like higher protein amounts are advocated. But then I read other sites and lower protein amounts are recommended :tongue:

The CDC recommends 46 grams for women my age. Dr. John McDougall (The Starch Solution) says up to 60 grams is good, but follows the WHO recommendations of just 5% of calories be from protein. This is much different than the 100+ protein amounts I'm seeing here on mfp.

I'm female, 34 yrs old, 5ft, 6 in, 125 lbs and walk or run 1-2 miles/5-6 days a week for exercise.

Would love to hear from other vegetarians-how much protein do you aim for every day?

Replies

• VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I aim for 100, mainly because it keeps me full and away from bad carbs as much as possible!

For example today I had:

Breakfast: Soy protien shake, banana, oats, soy milk (pre-crossfit) (29g)

Lunch: Soy protien shake, banana, soy milk, popcorn, olives (post crossfit) (31g)

Dinner: Vegan chicken style burgers, baked sweet potato, grilled baby corn and asparagus, spinach and cucumber and fried onions with hummus (30g)

Today came to 93g of protien (1700 calories) after I threw in some apple, strawberry and cherries. (3g)
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    I'm vegan and I aim for 100, mainly because it keeps me full and away from bad carbs as much as possible!

For example today I had:

Breakfast: Soy protien shake, banana, oats, soy milk (pre-crossfit) (29g)

Lunch: Soy protien shake, banana, soy milk, popcorn, olives (post crossfit) (31g)

Dinner: Vegan chicken style burgers, baked sweet potato, grilled baby corn and asparagus, spinach and cucumber and fried onions with hummus (30g)

Today came to 93g of protien (1700 calories) after I threw in some apple, strawberry and cherries. (3g)

Thanks for the input :)
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests I have 56g of protein/day, but I probably average about 35-40. We are already friends, so you can check out my diary, but I don' t purposefully add protein to my food (in forms of powder and whatnot). I, also, do not rigorously work out, so perhaps my needs are different. I do watch my protein on work out days just to be sure I'm not too low, but I still rarely reach 56g. Most of my big chunks of protein come from beans, nuts and fortified cereal.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm vegan, but also on protein restriction due to liver failure plus associated kidney issues, so I can't have more than 30-40g a day. But for people without that sort of issue, I think 60g seems sort of...low, honestly. For me, it's very hard to be below 40 and it would be ridiculously easy to hit at least 80. And I'm not sure there is such a thing as "too much" if you're within your calorie range and you have no medical issues like I have.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've found that I hover around 60 grams a day. This seems to be the right amount for me to be satisfied, I can tell on days I eat less I'm hungry more and end up eating way more calories in carbs. I don't really exercise though. If I do, I'm starving and definately need more protein.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set at 69g. Some days I go over, some days I'm well under. But if I have a few low protein days I start craving quorn and eggs n stuff, so I tend to listen to my body.
  • MusicBizMom
    MusicBizMom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 40 and 60...if I'm very hungry or unexplainably fatigued, protein is the first thing I add back into my diet.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'd say I swing between 40-65 sometimes over but never under.

I don't 'try' particularly hard to include protein in my diet and don't drink those shakes or anything
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I realized MFP has my protein amount set to what the CDC recommends, so I'm going to go with that for now (46 grams a day) :) I can always tweak it in the future if I need to!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I do a 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat breakdown, which work out to 150g protein a day, minimum. On workout days, the ratio stays the same and the total goes up.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I seem to average between 10-14%, usually closer to 10% of my calories. So about 2/3 of mfp's recommendations. I am content with this.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet and keep reading conflicting info on the amount of protein we need. From the different posts here it seems like higher protein amounts are advocated. But then I read other sites and lower protein amounts are recommended :tongue:

The CDC recommends 46 grams for women my age. Dr. John McDougall (The Starch Solution) says up to 60 grams is good, but follows the WHO recommendations of just 5% of calories be from protein. This is much different than the 100+ protein amounts I'm seeing here on mfp.

I'm female, 34 yrs old, 5ft, 6 in, 125 lbs and walk or run 1-2 miles/5-6 days a week for exercise.

i highly recommend you read "the china study" it is a hard read and you can skim over a lot of name dropping ( although if you are into knowing exactly who did the research and their qualifications you might go ahead and read that stuff..its legit) you will learn SO much about what your body does and does not need !!

Would love to hear from other vegetarians-how much protein do you aim for every day?
  • SJVZEE
    Options

i highly recommend you read "the china study" it is a hard read and you can skim over a lot of name dropping ( although if you are into knowing exactly who did the research and their qualifications you might go ahead and read that stuff..its legit) you will learn SO much about what your body does and does not need !!

I read the China Study a few years ago-I should probably re-read it as a refresher :) I'm currently reading Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman and I just finished reading Dr. McDougall's The Starch Solution. I've also been watching Dr. Greger's youtube videos, which are really good :)
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    It really depends on whether you have the need for additional protein. I am a dietitian so this IS what I do every day (not weight loss, LOL). The minimum absolute MINIMUM protein you need is 0.6 g/kg every day. To get your weight in kg, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. That is generally what is prescribed for those with renal failure in the later stages, but not yet on dialysis.

If you are an average person with average health issues, nothing special that needs extra or less protein, you should aim for 0.8 g/kg.

If you are lightly active you should go for 1.0-1.2 g/kg.

If you are bodybuilding or trying to put on lean body mass, you should go for 1.5-2.0 g/kg.

There are studies that going over 2.0 g/kg does not get added as lean body mass and simply gets excreted by the kidneys, but that being said I know MANY bodybuilders who go over 2.0 g/kg thinking it will do them some good. If you do this, take c aution, you can damage your kidneys especially if they already have some damage and you don't know it. Remember that kidney damage doesn't even show up on a blood test until most of the kidney function is gone, about 80% I believe (this is off the top of my head though). If you are going to go that high on protein be sure to drink a TON of water.

I am 64 kg (140ish lbs), so I aim for at least 80 grams of protein per day, sometimes up to 100 which would be 1.6 g/kg, but this is because I am doing significant strength training and feel like I need it to put on muscle mass. If I weren't doing that I would aim for about 64 grams.

I hope that helps a little bit. You can message me if you have additional questions! I am doing more of a pescetarian diet just because I get freaked out eating so much protein from soy with the isoflavones so I will eat fish for protein, but I avoid eggs, milk, dairy, and animal meat.
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    Also wanted to add....protein needs have nothing to do with how many calories you are eating. Calories go up and down based on whether you are trying to lose, gain, or maintain. But protein needs are based on the amount of muscle you are trying to build and your general health, and then a baseline of how much your body needs for enzymes, body functions, etc.

So doing a ratio of how many calories you are eating is not the way to go. Figure out how many grams of protein your body needs based on your activity level and shoot for that no matter how many calories you are eating. Cut carbs to cut calories.

Additional protein usually gets broken down and used for energy (calories), but if you eat too much it really can damage your kidneys. I had a patient who drank 1 muscle milk every day which is like the equivalent of the kidney killer drink, and at the end of the day he wound up on dialysis because he didn't realize his kidneys were getting worse and worse. Just food for thought.