To get an HRM or To NOT get an HRM?

Options
That is my question! So, I am curious on how many cals I really am burning and would like to get the most out of my workouts and be able to enter them properly into MFP but Im just wondering if the $100 is worth it.
I understand there are cheaper versions out there just not sure if its worth it to get one that may or may not be accurate or may break.
I only have 8 lbs (13 might be too much for me) to loose to be at my goal. I've lost 22 lbs without a HRM or Calorie counting of any kind (just bustin my butt & eating healthy).
Please give me your feed back and how your experiences has been with or without an HRM.

THANK YOU!!!! :wink:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I spent the $100 and lost 4lbs the first week of having my HRM, after holding for quite sometime. However, I have alot farther to go then you do, so I'm not sure that I would spend the money...
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Best investment I ever made!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Jenks, you are doing fantastic the way things are and so close to your goal, I don't think I would purchase one either.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I picked this one up: http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-08023-Monitor-Calorie/dp/B0030ZRPKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1284055320&sr=8-3

I'm only shooting for 10 lbs, but I figured it would be a good investment anyway. It seems to work just fine for $65.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    They say the closer you get the harder it is to lose those last 5-10 pounds. Investing in one might be what you need since it's so difficult. Try doing it without and if you need go ahead and invest in one.
  • ljm0104
    Options
    Have you hit a plateau? When I got my hrm it helped me break a four month plateau. You can wait and just keep working out. Just make sure, depending on what machine you are doing cardio on, to enter your weight and age. On the precor machines that I am working out on right now they are pretty accurate and usually the same as what my hrm is telling me. If you want to you could wait till you find a sale on the hrm you are leaning towards and if you haven't reached your goal by the time the hrm goes on sale you could decide then.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine and it arrived last week. I got a Polar FT7 and love it. I had already lost over 30 pounds when I got it, but knew I wanted to be more accurate with my calories burned, as I do a lot of exercise that is hard to estimate on the site. You would probably still use it after you reach your target (I know I will) because I know that if I suddenly quit exercising or monitoring when I am at goal weight, it will sneak back on again. Good luck!
  • SexyMrsCarty
    SexyMrsCarty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love mine and I think its the best thing ever, and in using it I also found out that I was not always working out in my correct Heart Rate Zone and that in it's self makes a huge difference you can be bruning surgar or fat and it turned out I was only burning sugar. Now that I know this i hope it will help me, I think they are the best things ever.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get it you are probably burning more than you think and they is stopping you from reaching your goal. I got mine on amazon and saved $40 and I love it. Here is the HRM I bought on Amazon cheapest place I found for it. http://amzn.to/aSjU5u
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like having mine but if I am completely honest, I have not been using it as mush as I thought I would. It definitely helped to get an idea of how much calories I am burning during which exercise. But after I figured that out, I have not been using it as much. I still do once in a while to make sure I catch any changes.
    I think it depends on the type of use for it. I don't feel like mine was a waste of money or anything, but I am not using it as often as I thought I would.
    Congrats on your weight loss :)
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have loved mine ever since I got it! I got my Polar F7 on Amazon for $84.00 & it is great! I think you'd be happy to know what you are actually burning!:bigsmile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    GET IT. The last 10 or so pounds are going to be the hardest and that's the MOST important time to make sure you're doing everything accurately because you'll have to be very strict with yourself to get your body to give up those last few "comfortable" pounds. Most have to increase their work outs and eat more to lose the last few and you want to make sure you're measuring your food and eating WHAT you're logging as well as burning exactly what you're writing down, otherwise, it could be very difficult, so YES. Get the HRM.

Ever since I got mine, my weight loss has been so much easier because I know what I'm REALLY burning, not just an estimate (although any kind of configuration of calories burned is an estimate, this is the best we have at our disposal!).
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I am pretty old and slow but what is an HRM?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor.
    it counts your heartbeats and tells you (more accurately) how many calories you burned during a period of time.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What does a heart rate montior look like? Is it like a watch?
  • pbap
    pbap Posts: 6
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a fine job on your own. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:smile:
  • pbap
    pbap Posts: 6
    Options
    Some are, but the best ones go around your chest.
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this site! Thanks Ladies!!:flowerforyou:
    Packing up the baby and heading to Sporting Goods store. Wish me luck.
    I'll let you know what I end up getting :wink:
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it....it helps me stay in the "fat burning" zone.....I, like others, wasn't getting the most "bang for my buck" doing my workouts because I was never in the best zone.....now I am...
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Some are, but the best ones go around your chest.

OK this may sound stupid, but I,m large in the bust. Does the strap go under,over or right on top?:huh: Do you wear it over or under your clothing:huh: Do you wear it all day or just when you exercise:huh: