opinions on the no calorie sweetener, splenda??

Options
so a while ago when tried to eat paleo (no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no beans) i had to drink my coffee black. I was on the paleo diet for about three weeks & discovered it just wasn't for me. it felt good to eat really clean but it didn't make a big difference & i constantly felt like i was depriving myself of life lol
anyways, i've started to add splenda back into my coffee...i usually have 2 cups per day & if i eat oatmeal for breakfast, i add a packet of splenda to that too. i know it doesn't have any calories but i've heard mixed things about it...some people say it wont effect weight loss, some people say it will. what are your guys' thoughts?? do you think i'll be ok using it?

Replies

• mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it won't :smile: My daughter dropped 4 dress sizes while using Splenda in her *many* cups of tea, she's also used the tablets crushed over strawberries (we had no granulated).
    It won't affect you in any bad way :smile:
  • KelseyLK1
    KelseyLK1 Posts: 26
    Options
    In my experience, it won't :smile: My daughter dropped 4 dress sizes while using Splenda in her *many* cups of tea, she's also used the tablets crushed over strawberries (we had no granulated).
    It won't affect you in any bad way :smile:

thats definitely good to hear :smile: thank you!
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I use Splenda and I don't think it's affected my weight loss :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of Splenda. I went from 136 pounds to 101, where I've been maintaining for the past 7 months. It doesn't seem to have been a problem.
  • kathygehrke
    kathygehrke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try stevia. It comes in liquid and powder. I prefer the liquid.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i can only have a little bit per day, because...headaches.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    so a while ago when tried to eat paleo (no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no beans) i had to drink my coffee black. I was on the paleo diet for about three weeks & discovered it just wasn't for me. it felt good to eat really clean but it didn't make a big difference & i constantly felt like i was depriving myself of life lol
    anyways, i've started to add splenda back into my coffee...i usually have 2 cups per day & if i eat oatmeal for breakfast, i add a packet of splenda to that too. i know it doesn't have any calories but i've heard mixed things about it...some people say it wont effect weight loss, some people say it will. what are your guys' thoughts?? do you think i'll be ok using it?

artificial anything is not good. it will def keep you from losing weight of you use any qty of it. i was a 3 pack a day user... when i quit i lost 6 pounds. not saying you will but its bad for your innards. try stevia ( which is super sweet) or i prefer agave nectar.. which isnt great but its sure better than splenda. do a little research .. theres a ton of it regarding sweetners out there
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    artificial anything is not good. it will def keep you from losing weight of you use any qty of it. i was a 3 pack a day user... when i quit i lost 6 pounds. not saying you will but its bad for your innards. try stevia ( which is super sweet) or i prefer agave nectar.. which isnt great but its sure better than splenda. do a little research .. theres a ton of it regarding sweetners out there

:noway: :huh:
    Yeah... no.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do not eat Splenda! iI is so incredibly bad for you!

Check this out:
    http://www.peertrainer.com/health/complete-guide-to-sweeteners.aspx

Stevia is where you want to be, If you can not find Sweet Leaf Stevia (super cool comes in different flavors as well), then look for Truvia at your local Grocery Store.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like Truvia and Stevia.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are some recent studies, I believe, that show that the main problems with artificial sweeteners (in terms of weight loss) are that they increase people's appetites for sweet things (thus doing nothing for our typical sugar addiction), AND they may temporarily trigger chemical changes that affect the way the body processes and stores calories.

I suspect this is not a problem with just a little use--a bit in your morning coffee and your evening tea, etc.). That's how I use stevia--I put it in my hot tea and on my strawberries--that's it. It's more of a problem if you're consuming lots of diet soda, buying "no sugar" icecream and cookies, eating sugar free yogurt, etc. For those things, it's probably healthier to eat traditionally sweetened varieties, but in small quantities--keep sweet things for the treats that they are! :-)
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I don't really like the Paleo diet, however being Vegitarian I do like the Bullet Proof Diet, just without the meat, here take a look
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/

Bulletproof Tean and Cofee is great!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Splenda wont stop you from losing weight unless you consume so much of it that it kicks you out of your deficit. Don't forget Splenda contains 4 cals per packet..
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I use Splenda all the time. Hasn't hurt me any. IMO it's the best tasting of the artificial sweeteners.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Please explain to me how a ZERO CALORIE item will keep someone from losing weight? Not using Splenda didn't cause your 6 lb weight loss. All that research out there proves nothing. That research is done on rats and they were given insanely high quantities of sweeteners.

OP, nothing wrong with Splenda. Use it if you like it.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    False. There has yet to be actual proof of how terrible it apparently is.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Artifical sweetener, in my opinion, is awful for your health. It give me headaches, and I never get headaches. It doesn't affect weight loss though, in my experience
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    False. There has yet to be actual proof of how terrible it apparently is.

So saying it is true or false is invalid, as nothing has been "proven"
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    But it does taste awful!

I only know because I don't use any artificial sweeteners (or much sugar for that matter) and a concerned colleague splenda'd my coffee for me!

ICK!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I like Splenda. I've used it for a couple years now. It doesn't give me any problems. I can lose weight easily with it. It doesn't give me headaches or anything else. It's the only artificial sweetener I will use. I thought Stevia was disgusting :tongue: