Question for the runners

Options
Hi guys,

So I've gotten into running around 2 years since I was one of those guys who did a ton of lifting, but very little cardio. I decided to incorporate running into my life and ended up really loving it. I even completed the NYC Urbanathlon last fall (which I'm training for again).

I started out barely being able to run a mile straight without stopping and breathing like I smoked a whole pack of cigarettes beforehand ( I don't actually smoke), but fast forward a few years, and I can now run a 10k straight. I normally do 5k's, but do longer distances a few times a month too.

Long story short, I'm trying to get my 5k to 20 mins, and my current PR is 21:29. However, even approaching my PR is difficult, much less 20 mins. I find that I can't keep pace in the final mile.

Any advice on how to maintain good speed while at the tail end of a run? Also, what's your training style for running? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Not that I am an authority on the topic, but running longer distances has helped me shave some time off of my 5k. Having said that, I usually have a better average pace on my 8-10k runs (I guess I should time a 5k after a 3k warmup sometime....) and I am nowhere near your speed...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hills are speedwork in disguise. Just saying...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm working from a much slower base. But, when I first ran 5k, it was 38 mins... I started half marathon training (increased from 3 runs a week, weekly mileage of 20+ and one long run a week of 9-13 miles) and shaved 9 mins off my time without doing any speed work or hill training.

I'm trying to get faster again, so the mfp runners told me to increase my days from 4 to 5, keep my long run at about 2 hours, and do a speed interval day once a week. I don't do a specific hill day, but I run on hills all the time. And I am getting faster, looking for a 5k and a 10k before my next half to test out my training.

So the formula seems to be, run more, run longer, run faster occassionally and you will get faster. The longer distances will help you sustain your pace for shorter runs.
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    I find that hill days and interval training are tremenedously helpful in improving my time. And I would always aim for a long sprint and push myself as hard as I can at the end of every run. Once the habit is created, I don't trail behind at the last mile anymore :)
  • irunoveru
    irunoveru Posts: 38
    Options
    Hills are speedwork in disguise. Just saying...

I agree. I do hill run no less than 2 times a week. I went from 9 min mile to a 7. Now I have to go back and do more hills because my time went to a 7:30-8min mile.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Even if you are only focused on running short races like 5ks, you need to be running longer and more often in order to get faster. Speed work is an option, but too much speed work too early without enough of a base can just lead to injury.

I think some of it is just learning to push. For the longest time, my husband wanted to break a 20 min 5k and was having trouble. He's down to a 17:30ish 5k now and part of it was just learning how to suffer especially during the second half/last mile of a 5k. I've often seen it referenced that if you aren't hurting the whole time, then you aren't racing a 5k fast enough. Now on good days, he'll race a 5k so hard that he is throwing up at the finish line. ,
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Speedwork sessions are fine, but what is also very important is stamina training. It's no good being able to go fast if you can't maintain it. To increase stamina you should do intervals at lactic threshold, which is around 80-85% of you maximum heartrate. For example, you could walm up for 1-2 miles then do 3 repeats of a mile at lactic threshols, with 4-5 min recoveries in between, then do a 1-2 mile cooldown. Or do a search on lactic threshold training, there are loads of plans available.

Running strategy can also play a part with the problem you are experiencing by trying to do 'negative splits' which means doing the latter part of a race at a faster pace. You need to discipline yourself by going slowly during the first 1.5-2 miles, then increase your pace over the last mile. This is what most serious runners do.