Reached my goal weight, now what?

Options
Hearndt
Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
I recently reached my goal weight. Yay me! I'm just about finished with 6 week 6 pack (I wanted to loose the muffin top) and plan to start Couch 2 5K next (I really want to be able to run charity runs) and I'm throwing in some Nike Training Club on 2-3 of the off days each week to keep active. I guess my question is where do I go from here? Do I just keep finding programs that interest me and tackle them one at a time? Do I build a workout routine that I do each day? Should I go back to 6w6p every now and again to maintain or should I do it again in a while to build on the results I got from the first round? (Does it even work that way?!) Can you tell that I'm clearly clueless about how to make exercise a regular part of my life??? Any advice would be lovely!

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting goal! I'm also in the same boat-in maintenance and feeling a bit lost lol. I didn't do any exercise while I lost weight, but when I started transitioning into maintenance in March I started walking 10-12 miles a week and also started doing Mark Lauren's strength training program. That wrapped up a few days ago and I've been deciding what I want to do for the summer. I ended up going with JM's 30 Day Shred (started it today actually) and I've also just started running/training for my first 5K. I think whatever you do isn't so important, just as long as you're doing something :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm just got to my goal weight as well. Luckily, my cousin has been extremely helpful in helping me out.

My thought process is this: do whatever exercise you like doing, if you don't have any specific goals. You don't NEED to do a specific routine, so long as you are hitting all your major muscle groups with exercise once every week or so. If you have specific goals (running a marathon, building muscle) look for exercises that cater to that. I want to build muscle, so I am going to be cutting a lot of my cardio out of my exercise routine and focus pretty much only lifting weights. If you wanted to run though, do more cardio based exercises with some weight lifting built in (squats are GREAT for building endurance). As your personal goals change, do different programs. Once I am where I want to be with my muscle size, I will probably tackle P90X again, to see how much I have improved.
  • flanchick
    flanchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've recently reached my goal weight too! Congrats to all of us. A year ago, I wouldn't have believed I could get here. I'm by no means lean, but this is a comfy weight for now and no longer shopping in the plus size department. I think we all need to recognize our progress and we can certainly change our goals (maintaining, exercise, nutrition rethinking, etc). I'm just so much happier shopping for clothes now. Peace to all!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance now, too, and really struggling with this (along with other things.) I try to do some type of exercise everyday, even if it is just walking the dogs and a short yoga video. Today was my "off day" but I woke up so stiff that I did yoga, and it felt sooo good. I also walked the dogs. But, I can't just stop walking the dogs, right? That's no fair to the dogs:) I also try to do something different everyday. I really like the idea of lifting more and doing less cardio, but I love the feeling of movement that cardio gives me and lifting feels so stagnant and hot. I really think it is about finding a good balance, and it can take time to do that.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all!

Whatever you do, take the long view. You want something that is sustainable, that will keep you where you want to be. Doesn't matter if that's a set routine or if you feel the need to change things up now and then. Do what's healthy and makes you happy and experiment to see what works for you.

And give yourselves all the credit in the world for all your hard work and perseverance! Have fun! :D
  • irunoveru
    irunoveru Posts: 38
    Options
    I am in the maintenance stage as well. But I want to gain more muscle tone. So I started my own strength training program at home. I also love to run. I incorporate my runs in 3-4 days a week. I may sub a run for a bike ride. I don't lift weights because I don't go to a gym. I do however have a pull up bar and I use it. I do resistance training with my body by doing slow push ups. I love body weight exercises and cardio. You just have to find something that you enjoy and stick with it. Good luck to you! :wink:
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your victory! Now comes the hard part: Maintaining. We all decide to celebrate and reward ourselves but if you're not careful, you'll gain some pounds back. I slacked off monitoring my meals and cheated more and more but I realized it for sure. Sense I've made goal, my ticker has gone back and forth so Just take maintaining just as serious as you took getting to your goal and CONGRATULATIONS once again:drinker:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Set yourself some different goal, either in relation to body compsition (if you're not happy with that) or fitness related (specific distances or times of running, specific events, specific lifting goals etc.). This will shift your focus onto something new and mean you still have a challange.
  • DATMANN
    DATMANN Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are some important things you need to do to maintain your goal weight. Make sure you get enough sleep, read nutrition labels, plan your meals, keep exercising and mix up your workouts to keep you motivated, and don't get obsessed with the scale because your weight will fluctuate 1-3 pounds during the week which is normal.