View my diary

Options
and tell me what I am doing wrong. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't lost a pound, granted I haven't gained, but 2 weeks!!!! If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing on the days you burn 800+ ?
    Also, are your food goals MFP recommended? Are the calories burned from MFP also?
    Are there any health issues, like Thyroid, PCOS, or something else?

I was initially wondering if you should be eating more, rather than less, with the amount of burns you are getting in.

I am not an expert in any of the diet philosophies, but just hit my own stallings, and realized I wasn't taking in enough fuel.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I just went back a few days in your diary. I notice there are zero vegetebles unless you count the high fat cole slaw, I saw no fruits, and most of your food is processed or fast food.

Are you measuring each item you are eating? Fast food calorie reports are helpful but can be inaccurrate. When you say 1/4 Tablespoon of butter how are you measuring that? I definitely recommend a food scale that measures to the gram. That helped me tremendously. I realized that when I guessed how much I was eating I was way underestimating when I actually weighed everything.

You could be retaining water-- make sure that you are drinking plenty.

How are you weighing yourself, if so, is it a digital scale and how far down does the accuracy go? Are you exercising, if so how? What medications are you taking?

Based on what you are eating you should be losing, but maybe some of the weight is muscle.
    and tell me what I am doing wrong. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't lost a pound, granted I haven't gained, but 2 weeks!!!! If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? My food scale has been very valuable. also what are you doing to burn off nearly 1000 calories? I have noted the MFP goes over on calories burned.i typically play 2-3 hours of doubles tennis a few times a week and I think it said I burned close to 400 calories each time....I know I don't even burn half that so I adjust the amount of time to a more reasonable number....also, seems like a ton of processed foods and not "around the perimeter" food.....but overall if you burn more then you eat.=weight loss
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the weighing the food as above, but noticed that your sodium is very high
    That could be a contributing fact

But you have to remember that we aren't experts and these are only suggestions

Good luck with your journey

Vicky
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup, your diet is severely skewed toward carbohydrates and salt.

This site from Harvard's school of public health has lots of good, clear info about how to structure a healthy diet. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

The "Healthy Eating Plate" there is a particularly good graphic.

I think you also might want to check your measurements. Are you sure you only had 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce on tonight's pasta? Measuring and/or weighing food precisely is important. We are all bad at eyeballing.

Looking at your supper for tonight:
    Great Value (Canada) - Garlic Salt, 1/4 tsp 1 0 0 0 380 0
    New York Texas Toast - the Original Texas Toast - Garlic, 2 Slices (41g) 280 30 18 6 520 2
    Prego - Spaghetti Sauce Flavored With Meat, 1/8 cup 20 3 1 1 120 3
    Ronco or Mueller's - Vermicelli Pasta, 2.5 oz.dry = .87 Cup cooked 263 51 1 9 0 3

Garlic salt is salt.
    NY Texas Toast is carbs, salt, and fat.
    The spaghetti sauce is only a small fraction of one serving of vegetables.
    The vermicelli is again carbs.

There's hard any vitamin or fiber content in that meal.

The people who get on and tell you that what you eat doesn't matter are leading you down to garden path to bad health and stalled weight loss. I'm afraid you need to learn about healthy eating.

Best wishes,
    Heidi
  • bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. One of the problems is I live with my in laws. My MIL is the main cook in the house (she doesn't like anyone else to cook, and if you do, she complains) and if I don't eat what she cooks, she tells my husband and he then says something to me about it. She complains that she wastes her time cooking and noone eats it and that the food is just going to waste and so on. I do weigh my food. I have a meat scale, a veggie scale, and I use measuring cups and spoons that I bought from the company that we get our utensils from at the lunchroom. And it's not that I don't like fruits and veggies, I do like them alot. When I bring home fresh fruit, my hubby usually eats before I can and when I go to eat it, its gone. I have talked to him about it, but his excuse is, it will just go bad because I don't eat it fast enough. I know that sounds like alot of excuses, but its the truth.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Edit:replied to wrong thread
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You can't eat her food. You are going to have a difficult time unless you do it yourself. Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips. One of the problems is I live with my in laws. My MIL is the main cook in the house (she doesn't like anyone else to cook, and if you do, she complains) and if I don't eat what she cooks, she tells my husband and he then says something to me about it. She complains that she wastes her time cooking and noone eats it and that the food is just going to waste and so on. I do weigh my food. I have a meat scale, a veggie scale, and I use measuring cups and spoons that I bought from the company that we get our utensils from at the lunchroom. And it's not that I don't like fruits and veggies, I do like them alot. When I bring home fresh fruit, my hubby usually eats before I can and when I go to eat it, its gone. I have talked to him about it, but his excuse is, it will just go bad because I don't eat it fast enough. I know that sounds like alot of excuses, but its the truth.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your sodium levels are very high which will make you retain water. As far as te fruit is concerned, why not keep a stash at work and use that instead of other snacks. I'm losing a steady 1lb a week and my diary is open. Yesterday I was over but on the whole I stick within my calories. Not sure how much it will help as I'm in the UK and our diets are quite different! Whatever you do, don't give up - it will start to come off. Good luck :)
  • bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would keep a stash at work, but I work in a school lunchroom, and during the summer we are out along with the kids. I am home most days and husband gets off work around 11:30 or 12:00. I have tried talking to my MIL about her cooking habits and trying to give her tips I have learned from working in lunchroom. Nothing works with this woman. If you don"t eat what she cooks, she mopes around and complains. If you do eat what she cooks, she expects you to have a heaping plate. I think I piss her off when I weigh my food. I have been trying to eat more fruit and veggies.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    1. Are you measuring your food accurately? When you log 1 cup or 2 tablespoons, did you actually measure that amount out? Make sure you do! It can make a HUGE difference!

2. Are you logging all of the liquids you're drinking? If you drink Coca-Cola, fruit juice, tea, coffee, lemonade, or any drink that's not water with any meal or at any time of the day, you HAVE to log it! Those are calories!

3. I wouldn't worry too much about your MIL's food. I think it's fine if you eat it, just eat it in small portions and with a side of fresh veggies or a salad. And eat only tiny amount of any unhealthy side dishes she makes. Like if she makes fries or something, just have like 3 or 4 fries. If she still gets offended...you're going to have to suck it up and deal if your health is more important to you. Just try to smile and be as polite as you can, but stand your ground and be firm in refusing to eat a lot of her unhealthy food.

4. Like others have said, you really should eat more fruit and vegetables. You're seriously lacking those in your diet. Have a chat with your hubby and family about it and if necessary, keep a private stash of them somewhere in the house so that no one else can steal them from you.

5. Are you being honest in your exercise diary? Were you truly "treading water" for 60 minutes? When you do Zumba for an hour and log it as 700 calories...that number is only if you put a vigorous effort into that hour of Zumba. Did you honestly put forth a truly vigorous effort during that entire hour of Zumba? Be brutally honest with yourself about your exercises. And I would consider investing in either a heart rate monitor or a step/activity monitor (like the Fitbit) if I were you. Those will give you more accurate ideas of how many calories you're burning. It would probably help you out a lot!

6. If none of my previous suggestions are at all an issue (or if they are, once they're fixed this next suggestion will apply): Make sure your calorie deficits are not too large. Large calorie deficits and not eating enough calories in a day isn't healthy either.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and see a lot of packaged foods. I also see that you are not eating frequently enough. It may help to eat 5-6 times a day, veggies at every meal, lots of water through out the day, over 100 grams of protein a day, less carbs, sodium and sugar, more fiber and protein.
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I wear a body media fit band and was not losing weight eating the way you are eating even when I was running 1,000 calorie deficit a day. I had to change the quality of my foods, eat more frequently and make sure to drink a gallon of water a day.