Consuming vs Burning

Options
Hello everyone, I have a serious question. I keep reading everywhere that in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than what you consume. Normally I burn around 550-600 calories a day. And I know if I eat less than that it won't be healthy. So does this mean that I should double up on my calorie burn, and eat the normal 1200 calories? But if I burn everything that I eat, does it mean that I technically didn't eat anything? I'm a little confused here. If anyone has a better idea on this, please reply. I'm 5'7" and weigh 144. I would like to be around 130. I don't have too far to go, so what would be the best and healthiest way for me to reach my goal? Also I should mention that I have a medical problem that causes weakness where I cannot do things such as Insanity or any of those extreme exercises. Right now I just do an hour of Zumba at least 5 times a week. So please share you thoughts with me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The minimum you should be eating is 1200 calories. Without exercising your body will burn just by being. If you are exercising and burning say 500 calories a day I would suggest eating back half of those calories so your eating 1450.

So simply eat at least 1200 a day to lose weight if your are a non active in your job and increase some when you exercise.
    Hope this helps
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You burn way more than 500 calories a day. Read some of the intro threads, and learn about your basal metabolic rate, etc. And at 5'7" and 144, you sure don't need to lose much! You might want to do some weight training and build more lean muscle mass instead. ;^)
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you've misunderstood the concept. your calories eaten should be less than calories burned, yes. but your body needs calories to function normally as it is, to breathe and make your organs work. you should never eat less than 1200 calories, per MFP.

at your height and weight, i'm guessing MFP places you at 1200 cals per day. and if you burn typically 500-600 per session. that day you work out, you should be eating around 1700-1800 calories. i myself typically will only eat back 50-75% of cals burned; so if i were you, i would eat around 1600 on the days i work out.

google BMR/TDEE. BMR is the amount of calories you need to function normally for your height, weight, and age. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn typically depending on activity levels. the GOAL is to be above your BMR, but less than your TDEE.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Like she ^^ said, you burn cals just by being alive. Check out your BMR (basal metabollic rate) or RMR (resting metabollic rate). You will burn calories (usually between 1000-2000 I think) just by having your brain function, your liver function, your lungs work. If you were in a hospital bed totally immobile and just laying there all day- you'd burn maybe 1000 calories! Probably more! (Check online, it's been a year since I did the whole BMR/RMR thing!)

Just do a little research, online, google, these forums... you'll find some info!

Good luck!
  • alexandriapatton
    alexandriapatton Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    you've misunderstood the concept. your calories eaten should be less than calories burned, yes. but your body needs calories to function normally as it is, to breathe and make your organs work. you should never eat less than 1200 calories, per MFP.

at your height and weight, i'm guessing MFP places you at 1200 cals per day. and if you burn typically 500-600 per session. that day you work out, you should be eating around 1700-1800 calories. i myself typically will only eat back 50-75% of cals burned; so if i were you, i would eat around 1600 on the days i work out.

google BMR/TDEE. BMR is the amount of calories you need to function normally for your height, weight, and age. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn typically depending on activity levels. the GOAL is to be above your BMR, but less than your TDEE.

Thanks but I find it really hard to eat that much, I get full pretty quick and when I have to eat more to make up for the calories I feel like I'm overeating. May be I'm just eating the wrong foods to make up for the calories I burn...
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Thanks but I find it really hard to eat that much, I get full pretty quick and when I have to eat more to make up for the calories I feel like I'm overeating. May be I'm just eating the wrong foods to make up for the calories I burn...

I am in the same boat but my calories are set at 1490 to lose a pound a week. I just continued on from c25k to 10k and I'm burning 800+ per run. I had a huge dinner yesterday and still didn't get up over 1200. I made sure I had a huge dinner because on Tuesday I only ended up netting 800 including a big serving of ice cream (bad I know).
  • alexandriapatton
    alexandriapatton Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    With my medical condition I can't really run or jog for more than a minute... so I just walk at 3.5 mph to 4 mph. And, I do Zumba for an hour... I guess I'll just start doing some strength training to help me lose the last few pounds... My goal is to have a flat stomach while sitting down... I still have a little roll when I sit... so I'm almost there... but I'm working hard... What I've learned is to not restrict myself otherwise I start binging.