HELP

Options
i'm kinda discouraged right now.. i've been doing this for months and cannot get outta the 300's what the hell is my problem?! (i know today my food for lunch and breakfast SUCKED but it's not normally like that)

i got a lot of helpful comments when i posted this as my status.. but lots more help would be great.. and dont worry about hurting my feelings.. i need to hear the ugly truth... please someone help.. i'm about to totally break down and lose it...

ok.. so just changed my goals
Calories: 1700
Carbs: 234
Fat: 57
Protein: 64

do these goals look good? that is what MFP set for me to lose 2lbs a week with 3 one hour workouts a week (Which I try for more). it's so hard for me to eat more.. when i feel like i already eat too much... i know it's a mental thing.. but i cannot help it!! i know i have to eat more.. but what i eat has to be good for me..

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    That is a LOT of carbs. IMHO MFP is automatically set for way too much. I'm not saying go straight Atkins but more of a 40/40/20 split.

I would also suggest working out at least four times a week. 3 times a week is generally acknowledged as "maintenance" 4-7 is weight loss.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If this is what MFP gave you, I would try sticking to this for a few weeks and seeing how it goes. The only thing I might suggest you change is that their default carb % is pretty high (55%) and default protein is low (15%). I'm set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein - but everyone's needs are a little different. YOu have to work to figure out what works for you.

One note - you said that this is what MFP gave you with three 1-hour workouts a week, but your exercise goals DO NOT affect your calorie goals - they're just something to shoot for. The only things that affect your calorie goals are age/weight/height/gender/normal daily activity level (sedentary/lightly active, etc.). This is why MFP increases your calorie goal on your food log when you log exercises - you should be eating at least some of those calories back, in addition to your normal 1700/day.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Whats your water intake like? sodium? I upped my water to 10 glasses a day and it helped alot
  • emilysparey
    Options
    i found i was stuck for a while. try zigzagging your calories. it worked pretty much straight away for me, so eat 200 more than your calories one day then 200 less the next, maybe your body need shaking up a bit,
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    Ok.. Changed some things

Changed my Carbs to 170
    Fat 57
    Protein 128
    Sodium 2400

And I usually drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.. but for my weight I was told i need 160oz a day!
  • smsummers
    Options
    Do you look at your sugar intake as well? I started counting my sugars and carbs only and am back on a losing streak again. I stay under 15 grams of sugar a day and less than 130 carbs. If you watch Sugar almost all the other numbers take care of themsleves and it is a much healthier way of eating. When I was just doing calorie counting I would eat a Snickers because I still stayed within my calories. Now I pretty much do not eat any "junk sugar" and 98% of my sugar intake is healthy sugars like from broccoli, lentils etc. You might want to try it and see if you see a difference.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    234 carbs is CRAZY! I'm a healthy man with 13% body fat and I average around 150 grams of carbs/day consumed. Up your protein to atleast 130 grams/day and lower your carbs. Fat is in a good range. Right now your body is getting more energy via carbs then you're using with 3 hrs/week of exercise, which basically means you won't lose. Get out, get active. It doesn't have to be intense. When I was over 300 I would go play racquetball every day for an hour. EVERY day. If I was dead dog tired I would go stand there and hit the ball at the wall, but I would NOT leave until I had been there for an hour every single day. Do resistance training at least twice a week, preferably 3 times, and add cardio is as much as possible. You know the saying that if you don't have a job, finding a job IS your job? Losing weight is your job. Every decision you make from the second you wake up to when your eyes close for the night has to move you towards your goal. Once you get things finally moving you'll be surprised at how making the right choices will become easier and easier and you'll start to get some momentum.

Eat your 1700 calories. Without fail. You can do this!
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everyone steers clear of carbs but you really just want to cut out the pastas, breads, processed food snacks and generally flour based carbs.
    Remember that fruit and veg are ALSO carbs and these are in no way bad for you compared to the white processed ones people generally refer to when they talk about cutting carbs out hence the reason MFP tends to weight carbs a little higher in terms of your nutritional split.

If you open up your diary to me i can have a good look at what you're eating, may be able to offer some suggestions but adding some exercise to your routeen as suggested it a must if you're after quick results.
  • bellanean
    Options
    Personally I cant lose weight at 1700 calories. This will go agaisnt what a lot of people have to say but I have to try to stay around 1200 calories on non workout days and 1400 the max on workout days. I also need to do some crazy workouts in order to lose weight. Try to change up your workout rountine, your body might be use to zumba by now. Try to get on the stairs at the gym, or try to start the C25k.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm echoing what so many others said as stuff that worked for me ... Like accounting_boi, I too do a 40/30/30 split, it's what works best for me. Everyone's different, though - listen to your body for clues. keep sodium low (I try to stay under 2000, and 2400 max) - stay away from sodas and alcohol, avoid processed foods, chemicals, etc. and stick to whole grains - don't be afraid of carbs as long as they're GOOD carbs. And eat your calories, lady! :angry: :wink: Think about higher cal snacks if it's hard for you to get them all in. a multi-grain flat-out wrap and a smear of peanut butter is a great high fiber, decent protein snack for about 300 calories.

Hope some of this helps - be patient with yourself, you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    ok.. i know i definitely need higher protein and calorie foods...

please give me some meal and snack ideas....

my goal is to stay below 150 carbs a day.. really between 130-140...

20 glasses of water a day...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    ok.. i know i definitely need higher protein and calorie foods...

please give me some meal and snack ideas....

my goal is to stay below 150 carbs a day.. really between 130-140...

20 glasses of water a day...

My food diary's open - you're welcome to take a look. I follow a reasonable plan - I avoid most processed foods, eat lots of veggies/fruit, lean protein, whole grains, legumes, and healthy fats (nuts/olive oil, etc.). Tuesday wasn't so great, but most days I'm proud of my food diary. :smile:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Do you look at your sugar intake as well? I started counting my sugars and carbs only and am back on a losing streak again. I stay under 15 grams of sugar a day and less than 130 carbs. If you watch Sugar almost all the other numbers take care of themsleves and it is a much healthier way of eating. When I was just doing calorie counting I would eat a Snickers because I still stayed within my calories. Now I pretty much do not eat any "junk sugar" and 98% of my sugar intake is healthy sugars like from broccoli, lentils etc. You might want to try it and see if you see a difference.

I just wanted to say, go ahead and watch your sugar level BUT that depends on where you sugar is coming from. Cake or fruit? Makes a difference! Some mornings I eat a big pear with breakfast and it says I am already over my sugar for the day. I don't worry about that...it's fruit! But most people aren't getting their sugar from that, they are getting it from processed stuff.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time! (((((HUGS!)))))
  • deke76
    deke76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That actually looks like quite a few calories IMHO. In a past fit life (trying to get back to) as a 170lb extremely active male (7%bf - a dream nowadays) I would consume around 2000-2200 calories a day. That took a long time to get to and quite a bit of practice and there are the obvious suggestions below as far as how often you eat, protein to carb ration (remember carbs and sodium = water weight), only drinking water and so on. One very helpful suggestion I have is when you are exercising, if you do it in the morning or 2-3 hrs after eating your body is a little more efficient at burning fat.

Currently, trying to work from 200 back to 170 my goal is 1300 calories a day and at maintenance will probably move back to 1800-2000 but part of these is also being honest about my activity level as I now work a desk job with very little movement throughout the day. This has a fairly large affect on your goals (10/15/20 x bodyweight). As long as your getting the nutrients and approach your "diet" as a lifestyle choice that you can maintain you will make progress.

Keep working at and you will breakthrough, every step down the ladder (or up depending on your viewpoint) gives you another tool to use in the future.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

My food diary's open - you're welcome to take a look. I follow a reasonable plan - I avoid most processed foods, eat lots of veggies/fruit, lean protein, whole grains, legumes, and healthy fats (nuts/olive oil, etc.). Tuesday wasn't so great, but most days I'm proud of my food diary. :smile:

Wow! I just looked at your food diary and you are one very healthy dude! One question though, are you supposed to eat that much tuna? I thought, due to mercury levels, the govt recommended tuna only 2 times per month. Although that might be geared toward women of childbearing age (me).
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Wow! I just looked at your food diary and you are one very healthy dude! One question though, are you supposed to eat that much tuna? I thought, due to mercury levels, the govt recommended tuna only 2 times per month. Although that might be geared toward women of childbearing age (me).

Thanks!

The tuna that they use for canned tuna is younger (usually farmed) tuna and tends to have much lower Mercury levels than the fresh tuna caught in the ocean and used in restaurant, for sushi, at fish markets, etc. I don't eat this much tuna every week, I just never got around to cooking my chicken on Sunday like I meant to. I tend to rotate between turkey, chicken, tuna and seitan as my lunchtime proteins, eating one for one week, one the next, etc.

*edited to add - at least, this is what I've heard about canned tuna. I realize it does have some mercury in it (most likely) and definitely wouldn't eat this much every week!
  • deke76
    deke76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One more important thing, if you aren't already doing it add weight/strength training. As a female you don't really need to worry about building large amounts of muscle (most women cannot add a lot of muscle) and it will increase your BMR as well as possibly provide you with another set of goals to focus on.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I hate to even give an answer because I am no way an expert on this subject or else how have i never been able to loose weight and keep it off.....but this time is different I SWEAR!!! anyway....this is only my opinion and don't know if this will help or not....

try eating more veggies and fruits....seems like when I looked back for the past week, you haven't had a lot of veggies and fruits.....and also like someone else said.....drink plenty of water........and I don't know how much more you want to increase your exercise......I am only a 3, maybe 4 day a week exerciser because I figure if I am doing this for a lifestyle/lifetime change--I have to be able to maintain whatever I set for myself--I am never going to keep exercising 6 or 7 days a week, just not gonna happen....---and you always seem to put in some great workouts (props for that!!)

anyway hope this helps....I have lost 49 lbs so far (over 5 months...weight starting to slow now, but thats ok).....and remember it took a while to gain the weight, it is not going to come off overnight......you are doing great, just keep up the good work!!:flowerforyou:
  • sjpalmer7
    Options
    I know MFP sets the sodium intakes ridiculously high. The USDA says 2300mg max and personally I stick closer to the AHA recommendation of 1500mg. Every body is different but for me sodium has been the biggest factor in losing weight.

Also, you need way more veggies in your diet!