Not eating enough!

Options
How do I get myself to eat enough?

I know this might be a silly question but I find myself eating around 1000 calories/day. I eat all 3 meals and I snack even! I try to get all my macronutrients in but my caloric intake, etc is under what I should be at.

Yesterday when I went to the gym I was completely DRAINED and could barely do an easy warm-up that I can normally do no problem. How do I slowly (and healthily) up my caloric intake without feeling too bloated?

Today I ate:

B-yogurt with fruit
L-couscous with broccoli, sausage, corn, and beanss
S-watermelon
D-(same as dinner)

I feel very satisfied after ever meal and I never starve myself. I just get a little discouraged when I don't reach my goal because I know it's just as bad to eat too little than it is to eat too much.

Any tips?

Replies

• csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Add full fat items like peanut or almond butter, nuts, avocado, olive oil, and cheese. This will increase your calories with a small amount.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Add full fat items like peanut or almond butter, nuts, avocado, olive oil, and cheese. This will increase your calories with a small amount.

^This. Calorie dense foods help you hit your goal and can help add some healthy fats to your diet.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You need more for breakfast for sure, especially if you work out in the morning. Get some protein in your body early in the day! My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with full fat peanut butter and a banana!
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Yup. And maybe increase your portion sizes a bit? Add an extra 1/4 cup of fruit here if you normally do 3/4 cup, or an extra oz or two of meat.

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with your calories so low?
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow girl and I thought I didn't eat enough. But I can't advice you as I been told I don't eat enough either. I am a salad freak and protein shakes. Trying to eat more protein but I rather drink it. Today I finally hit just under 1200. Usually I am between 800-1000. And that is pushing it for me. I am suppose to eat at least 1400 calories. I am never hungry in between and thats my problem. I have 20lbs to lose and my body doesn't go up or down. It has adjusted to eating very little and being ok with that, So hopefully you get some advice so i can read some of the post too.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Full fat foods, snacking more throughout the day, and drink your calories. Also, based on that sample day, you should try for more protein. Add a glass of 2% milk on to your breakfast and you'll have an extra 130 calories and 8 grams of protein right there...
  • Guavagai
    Guavagai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! Thank you everyone for the input

I will definitely try to implement drinking some of my calories although I am lactose intolerant so I try to stay away from a full glass of milk.

I only started eating meat after working out so implementing meat is kind of a difficult process for me. However, I'll try baking chicken and eating lean meats for health-benefits

As for how my calories are so low, I have no idea? I cook lunch and dinner myself so I never go out. Also, I don't use any dipping sauces, salt, or anything high in sodium when I cook. I'm not too picky of an eater so I eat really simple stuff like light olive oil with tofu and a crown of broccoli. I'm guessing that's how my caloric intake is so low

I feel better today because I did try to up my portion size. It would feel weird to be eating more since I'll just get bloated. I think I should suck it up and make a change though because I work out at least 1 hour on lazy days and around 1.5-2 on normal days and burn around 800-1,000 calories.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

K
  • giggalon
    giggalon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You eat similar to myself on my work days, so I encorporate a shake mixed with water somewhere,
    Either as a snack or after working out.
    Maxitone definity protein shake after my workout is super good :)
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It will be difficult to build muscle since having a low caloric intake kinda defeats your purpose of working out if your purpose is in fact, to gain lean muscle mass.
    I agree with everyone's suggestion to eat a little more, add some healthy fats in & maybe use a protein shake if you simply can't eat enough protein daily.
    I fight with getting enough calories in as well since I've cut out "garbage" food & have begun to eat more veggies & fruit. I do have a morning whey protein powder & fresh berries shake if I don't make a fried egg with a slice of ham & pepperjack cheese on whole wheat toast (1 piece).
    For lunch I may have a mixed greens & kale salad with a boiled egg or a handful of nuts, low cal dressing & as many veggies as I can muster.
    For supper, I'm good with a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat & maybe a treat of fresh fruit over an angel food cake base with a small bit of whipped cream (yes, the full fat kind!) or a scoop of ice cream.
    Throughout the day I drink water with lemons in it & green tea religiously.

This is a typical day for me. I can't be bothered making a big deal out of any meal & cooking for one takes all the fun out of it for me anyway. Once in a while I'll fire up the bbq & make some chicken or a filet steak, but in reality that's only when company arrives or I'm sick of peanut butter ;)

Hope this helps...good luck on your journey!
  • pinkdreams13
    pinkdreams13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem lately. I have to make an adjustment somewhere. I think I'll will try a bigger breakfast that has more calories. My go to breakfast is usually a fruit smoothie with some low fat plain yogurt in it. Here lately I have only been eating like 900-1100 a day. I don't want to put my body in starvation mode. I am so glad somebody asked this question because I was about to!!
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you need around an extra 200 calories a day, you could have a nice glass of fruit juice. Or you could eat another couple of pieces of fruit.

I do know how difficult it can be to hit your calories limit- I'm not big on snacking, so if my meals happen to be particularly low calorie, I can sail in well under limit without feeling hungry.