Do calories know what time it is?

Options
So,

from being a youngster, I've always thought that not eating after 7.00pm was the golden rule, however, I often don't get in from gym until gone 8.30pm as I go straight there from work, so when am I supposed to eat, eat dinner at that time? or not eat?

This is an ongoing cause for confusion with me as there are so many different opinions on this. both sides of the argument make sense, so,

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They all wear little watches and if you feed them after midnight, they multiply.

But seriously, no, it doesn't matter when, just how much. If you have trouble sleeping or acid eflux, it's best not to eat too close to bedtime, though.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    meal timing has absolutely no impact on weight loss. Your topic headline questions, "Do calories know what time it is?" The answer is, NO.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Meal/snack timing is irrelevant.

One reason why people think eating after X O'clock is back is because many people eat all of there calories before X anyway, so if you eat at maintenance up to say 7pm, then no you shouldn't eat after 7, as you don't have cals left.

Essentially it is a tool some use to reduce calories to lose weight. If you use to eat 2000 cals/day to maintain and 300 cals were after 7, well if the only thing you change is not eating after 7 then you now only consume 1700 cals and will lose just over 0.5lbs/week. It is just a tool to help create/maintain a caloric deficit. But if you just lowered your intake to 1700 then you could still have your 300 after 7, but only 1400 before.
  • Last2bfirst
    Last2bfirst Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not convinced that it matters. I understand the theory, that you do not burn as many calories when sleeping and at rest in front of the T.V. but I would think that if you are meeting your calorie goal that even if it isnt immediatly used it will be. I read somewhere but can not remeber where that it may be possible to monitor calories and exercise weekly e.g. 8400 cal week - 3500 Cal exercise = 11,900 Calories consumed. I bet I have eaten 8400 cal in two days in the past :-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    They all wear little watches and if you feed them after midnight, they multiply.

But seriously, no, it doesn't matter when, just how much. If you have trouble sleeping or acid eflux, it's best not to eat too close to bedtime, though.

Damn it....beat me to it.

Agree with everything said above.

Slightly disagree as the body has circadian rhythm, and your cells contain genes that make proteins that do in fact "tell time". That said, there's no conclusive evidence that it impacts how your body digests food. However there are studies that show circadian rhythms influence sleep-wake cycles, hormone release, body temperature and other important bodily functions. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Damn it....beat me to it.

Agree with everything said above.

Slightly disagree as the body has circadian rhythm, and your cells contain genes that make proteins that do in fact "tell time". That said, there's no conclusive evidence that it impacts how your body digests food. However there are studies that show circadian rhythms influence sleep-wake cycles, hormone release, body temperature and other important bodily functions. :smile:
    But the question I answered was "Do calories know what time it is?" not "Does your body know what time it is?"
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Only when you are down to your socks.....then they know its "business time".