I am DYING for Pad Thai!

Options
UhohDanny
UhohDanny Posts: 32
Does anyone happen to know any GOOD low cal recipies? I've tried a few, but they were terrible. And I have been craving it for quite a while. Thanks!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Don't know, if this is one of the ones your tried, but I loved it. I sub a fish stock I make from the shrimp shells instead of the fish sauce and I use egg beaters instead of eggs. Just to make things easier.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/pad-thai.html
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    http://thaifood.about.com/od/oodlesofnoodles/r/Easy-Chicken-Pad-Thai.htm

I put this into the recipe thing on here and it comes out to 352 calories per serving (4 servings per recipe).

It's delicious too, my husband and I both love it! I load it up with veggies though - I usually add a ton of carrots, cauli and broccoli.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This may not be the advice you're seeking but I find for a select few dishes, only the "real deal" will cut it and for me Pad Thai is one of those things! I go to a small local Thai restaurant and get their fiery Pad Thai, eat 1/3 and take the rest home and have it two more times. It does have a lot more salt than most stuff I eat so I try to work around that.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    First if you are 'DYING' for Pad Thai then your cravings are not under control. Reduce your carbs and increase your protein/fat intake. That will get things like this under control. I too love Pad Thai, when I do get it I have them reduce the noodles and add extra chicken and beef. It does not matter what you do once in a while that matter, it is what you do the rest of the time that makes the difference.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    First if you are 'DYING' for Pad Thai then your cravings are not under control. Reduce your carbs and increase your protein/fat intake. That will get things like this under control. I too love Pad Thai, when I do get it I have them reduce the noodles and add extra chicken and beef. It does not matter what you do once in a while that matter, it is what you do the rest of the time that makes the difference.

Sounds legit
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I make it often. This is the recipe that my hubby and I LOVE! I add chicken to it.

http://browniesfordinner.com/2010/05/11/easy-pad-thai/
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you want Pad Thai, go get Pad Thai. Just eat a reasonable portion, log it and move on. No food should be on the "naughty" list. If it is you'll want it more...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I make it often. This is the recipe that my hubby and I LOVE! I add chicken to it.

This is happening very soon in my kitchen. Thanks so much!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Pad Thai

16 ounces medium shrimp cooked, peeled with tails off (shrimp meat is also good and cheaper)
    16 ounces tofu shirataki noodles (two bags)
    16 ounces mung bean sprouts
    1/2 cup Steel's peanut sauce low carb
    6 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
    1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
    6 green onions, sliced
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or to taste - we like things hot!)

In very large fry pan, scramble eggs until hard in 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Set aside.

On high heat saute green onions in 1 tablespoon coconut oil until whites are transparent.

Add bean sprouts and saute until soft but still slightly crunchy.

Add shrimp and saute briefly.

Rinse and drain noodles, then cut right in the strainer with kitchen shears to shorten them, then add to sauteed mixture.

Pour in peanut sauce, add powdered peanut butter, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, and soy sauce.

Stir and saute until everything is hot. Serve with chopped peanuts on top if desired.

Serves 6.

Per 1/6 recipe: 91 Calories; 6g Fat (56.6% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 126mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

Per 1/4 recipe: 136 Calories; 9g Fat (56.6% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 94mg Cholesterol; 190mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat
  • are822
    are822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a great lower calorie Pad Thai that I make all the time. Pad Thai is going to be high on sodium no matter what though.

Shrimp Pad Thai On The Lighter Side
    www.Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1/2 • Old Points: 9 pts • Points+: 11 pts
    Calories: 400 • Fat: 18.7 g • Protein: 37.5 g • Carb: 25.1 g • Fiber: 2.1 g • Sugar: 9.4 g
    Sodium: 1391 mg

Ingredients:

3 oz packaged rice noodles (rice sticks)
    2 tsp oil
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    6 oz medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
    2 oz fried firm tofu, cut into slices (optional)
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    5 oz bean sprouts
    1 oz Chinese chives (or scallions), cut into 2-inch lengths
    1 tbsp crushed peanuts
    lime wedges

For the Seasonings:

1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (Thai Kitchen brand for gluten free)
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp water
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp chili powder or more, to taste

Directions:

Follow the package instructions to cook the dry rice noodles. The rice noodles should be soft (but still chewy and not mushy) after boiling. Rinse the boiled noodles with cold running water.

Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl until well combined, set aside.

Heat up a large skillet on high heat and add the oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add the garlic to the skillet and start stirring until you smell the aroma of the garlic. Add the shrimp and the tofu and continue stirring. As soon as the shrimp changes color, add the noodles and stir-continuously, about 30 seconds. Use the spatula to push the noodles to one side of the skillet, and crack the eggs on the empty side of the skillet. Use the spatula to break the egg yolk and let cook for about 30 seconds. Combine the egg and the noodles, and add the seasoning sauce. Stir to combine well with the noodles.

Next, add the bean sprouts and chives and continue stirring. As soon as the bean sprouts are cooked, stir-in the crushed peanut. Turn off the heat and serve the Pad Thai immediately with the lime wedges.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

This is happening very soon in my kitchen. Thanks so much!

You're welcome. I'll also add that I break it into 4 servings, each serving is only 448 calories and 274 mg sodium (I use light soy sauce). I like this version because it's really easy, super quick, and it uses minimal ingredients so there isn't a ton of sodium in it! Thai food is normally packed w/ sodium.
  • UhohDanny
    UhohDanny Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow, I will certainly have to try these out, thank you all very much :happy:
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    http://luxhippie.tumblr.com/post/16323536968/healthy-vegetarian-spaghetti-squash-pad-thai

This spaghetti squash pad thai recipe is so great for those cravings :)
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    Also the spaghetti squash pad thai is only 261 calories per serving! Cool huh?
  • shimmer615
    shimmer615 Posts: 55
    Options
    If you want Pad Thai, go get Pad Thai. Just eat a reasonable portion, log it and move on. No food should be on the "naughty" list. If it is you'll want it more...

I agree with this. There are certain things that there isn't a substitute for. What works for me is not totally restricting myself from any one thing, but to try to eat healthier and eat the other stuff infrequently. That's the only way it will work for me in the long term. I enjoy good food way too much!
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://luxhippie.tumblr.com/post/16323536968/healthy-vegetarian-spaghetti-squash-pad-thai

This spaghetti squash pad thai recipe is so great for those cravings :)

Gotta try it with spaghetti squash, great idea
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options

^^^^^ This!
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Now I really want Pad Thai