16 hour overnight fasting

Options
I was wondering has anyone tried this but with going over their calorie limit? It means bascally that between dinner and breakfast 16 hours has to pass. Does it really mean you can eat whatever you want in between or it this just a mtyh and everything really is calories in vs calories out?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Calories don't care when you eat. Calories on, calories out. If you need to eat 2000 calories a day, but eat 3000 calories a day, it doesn't matter whether you eat them over 8 hours or 18 hours. You will still gain weight.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I am doing 16:8 because it works with my lifestyle. I don't like to eat in the morning, I prefer 2 bigger meals a day. To budget my day is much easier and less meal prep. But I still have to stay within my calorie budget to lose.
  • bettybremner
    bettybremner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my GP about this, and he said you have to keep to your daily calorie count, and consume your food in the 8 hour period. It works for me because I eat lunch at 12 noon, snack at 3, dinner at 6, and snack at 8 pm. I also take PGX if I get too hungry in the morning.
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    I follow 16:8 and it works for me because I like to train in a fasted state. I also do one 40 hour water fast a week for health. I've been following this regimen for 5 weeks now and have lost a size and my cellulite has really improved. I train 5-6 days per week.

Good Luck!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing more and more about people training during a fasted state seeing significant improvements. I have lately been mixing in my own bulletproof coffee in the mornings once in a while. Basically I am drinking around 400cals of fat, mainly MCT from coconut oil, grass-fed butter, and heavy cream to taste to maintain a ketogenic fasting state. I usually don't get hungry for lunch until close to 2:00pm. I haven't been doing it too regularly but plan to make it a weekly thing to test out.

I have read the same about eating what you want in those 8 hours but I think the assumption is that you won't be hungry enough to over eat. The few times that I have done it I am not too hungry when I eat my lunch but I get really hungry at diner time. I have never tried doing it two days in a row or without the morning dose of fat. I think I needed to eat a little more at lunch so that I don't get such a slingshot effect by diner.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their thing. I can't do a 16 hr fast because I wake up and become nauseous. I usually don't consume calories after dinner so I don't eat for approximately 10-12 hrs because I sleep for 8 of those and eat bfast when I get to work; its not an intentional fast though, ie I don't plan or strictly adhere to it, it just happens.

Some will say you shouldn't do this etc, but the reality is if it works for you and you keep the weight off in the long term and don't suffer any negative side affects then go for it! I would agree with the first poster: calories in and calories out. It doesn't matter when you eat, but if you eat over your dedicated calories then you will gain weight plain and simple.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and I go just barely over my maintenance calories on lifting days only. On non-lifting days I try to keep a 500 calorie deficit. I'm doing an experiment to see if it's possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It's also much easier for me to stick to, because I get 4 days of indulging a little and then 3 days of moderate restriction.

Edit: Only started this method this week, so I don't have results as of yet. No weight gain or loss.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I have been following the leangains protocol to IF or Intermittent Fast. A 16 fast followed by a 8 hour feeding window. In that 8 hours I consume all of my days calories and I always train in a fasted state. I also consume 60% of my daily calories post workout. It's not for everyone, but I love it and will always continue to eat this way.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I started MFP on January 1.....until June 14th I had steady losses....then I hit a plateau that lasted 22 days. On July 1st, I started IF. I LOVE IT!!!! and have lost an additional 9.4LBS!!! 218.2LBS. down to 208.8, in the 25 days I have been practicing IF.
    BUT....I have never heard of "eating whatever you want" during the eating window of IF....you still have to watch you intake.

I started with noonish to 7PM for my eating window...with fasting beginning at 7PM, until lunch the next day......some days I wake up hungry, when I do, I eat, I just look at the time, and if it's 10 or 11AM....I adjust my "cut off" time accordingly...

After all, our ancestors did not hunt, kill, and eat their meal at exactly 12PM everyday! LOL...(at least, that's how I look at it)

There is NO diet, or eating plan, or pill, or shake, etc etc....where you can eat anything you want, and still expect to lose weight....

Good luck:)
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been following the leangains protocol to IF or Intermittent Fast. A 16 fast followed by a 8 hour feeding window. In that 8 hours I consume all of my days calories and I always train in a fasted state. I also consume 60% of my daily calories post workout. It's not for everyone, but I love it and will always continue to eat this way.

+1 and its works just fine for me.

Add me to this ... (Except I typically fast for 18 hours) I've been doing this for just over a year and I love it and will do this for the rest of my life.