Pilates: What do you think about it?

Options
I recently joined a new gym and they have a lot more classes offered. The trouble is, I started working full-time, and only a select few are within good timing. One is pilates. I googled it, but I still can not wrap my head around what it actually is.

So my question to everyone....have you done it? If so, did you like it and what exactly does it consist of? I am looking for some high intense cardio class...but for some reason I do not think this is it.

Please help!

Thanks!

Replies

• Monicamarkt
    Monicamarkt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for toning but not for burning fat during the workout. It is a lot of core work--abs, low back, hip and butt--using body weight or some light tools/weights. it will make you feel more pulled in and taller but if you are looking for a high intensity cardio go toward cycling, step or boot camp
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    plilates is like an intense yoga.. its great for core strength, flexability, breathing control. i havent done it myself yet but people i know who have raved about it.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    Pilates and watching my diet helped me lose 30 lbs (still trying to lose the other 30!). I really enjoy it and encourage you to try it.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started pilates classes at my gym a few weeks ago. Pilates is like yoga but w/o any pausing. You won't burn as many calories as let's say cardio kickboxing or Zumba but it really does sculpt your muscles and you will definitely be sore for a few days afterwards.
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i have only done a little pilates. I actually have a Crunch Pilates for weight loss or cardio pilates video. It's a lot of stabilizing moves that mimic pilates but you are standing while you do it. It's a faster pace so you can actually lose weight with it. After the 'cardio' part, they move to the floor and do mat work that, again, mimics what you might do on a pilates machine.
    I like it a lot b/c you really strengthen and lengthen you muscles and you just feel stronger afterwards.
    I not only STAND taller, I actually stand taller on such a regular basis that I am measured at 5'3'' when i had been 5'2'' through my mid-20's...pilates made me taller.
    I recommend at least trying it.
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    Options
    I do Pilates about 1-2 a week. For me, it is part of a balanced fitness routine because it takes care of toning and developping strength, strecthing, and improve posture. I recommend pairing it with cardio and other activities though.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It is not high cardio, but it will make you work! And it WORKS! It is toning, fat-burning and everything in one and you will get fast results.