Hypoglycemia

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Connie. I have hypoglycemia(Blood sugar drops out) so I have to be careful when I workout. I have to eat food every food hours. My dad died in October and it was really bad.I would have dizzy spells, feel like I was gonna pass out, get shaky so I would eat so I wouldn't feel that way. I went to a dietician and they told me to eat 45 carbs per meal and in between to have 12-20 carbs and some protein. I am at my heaviest weight @ 192. I have never been. I'm not a couch potato and I walk and spin alot and just started to run again. I believe I have a thyroid or hormone imbalance causing all of this. Since the dietician appts, I have changed the way I eat and started working out more but still not losing but gaining. I am going back to dr to have them check my endrocrine glands, thyroid and hormones. I am 36yrs old and have always been healthy and last year weighed 170. I don't drink or eat fried food I eat pretty healthy now. Since October, I feel better but I still have to eat when I feel it coming on and I just want it to go away! Does anyone else have to deal with this type of stuff?

Replies

• lengle01
    lengle01 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm Laurie and I can relate. Also hypoglycemic and continuing to gain even though I watch every bite, taste, and swallow. I'm currently going through the endocrine work-up to find out what hormones I have out of balance. So far it's pointing to my thyroid and/or pituitary gland, other than the over-production of insulin, the pancreas looks good. My follow-up visit to go over blood test is next week.

I could not survive day-to-day with that many carbs per meal. I eat mostly proteins and fats and the carbs that I do have are slow-acting carbs such as sweet potatoes, whole wheat or legumes. I cut out all alcohol, caffeine, sugar, artificial sweeteners. I don't crash nearly as much as I used to. I'd like to say that I don't crash but I do and it can come out of nowhere.

Good luck to you and I hope you find a solution that works for you.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i have had problems with this as well. i have more problems the more carbs i eat. esp for breakfast. i find eating protein for breakfast the biggest help. 4 slices of bacon and 2 eggs. with unsweetened coffee. i get tired of it and eat oatmeal sometimes, and then have low blood sugar 2 hours later. candy, pop, cake, etc all cause me to crash later. meat and veggies help me stay stable. i also eat lots of healthy fats like organic butter and olive oil.

you cant jump straight into a low carb diet though. you have to go slow. start with more protein and fat at a meal and make sure what carbs you eat are more complex.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I do have hypoglycemia and can relate, every stupid blood test I have taken has come up with nothing though :( though aside from thyroid I have never had my hormones tested.

I had it when I was a kid (but didn;t realize that was what it was) but was super active and fit eating whaever I wanted. It has only caused me workout and weight issues now that I am older lol I do notice the more frequently I eat the more often I feel a crash coming on. I don't crash often but I still crash out of nowhere every now and then
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    i have had problems with this as well. i have more problems the more carbs i eat. esp for breakfast. i find eating protein for breakfast the biggest help. 4 slices of bacon and 2 eggs. with unsweetened coffee. i get tired of it and eat oatmeal sometimes, and then have low blood sugar 2 hours later. candy, pop, cake, etc all cause me to crash later. meat and veggies help me stay stable. i also eat lots of healthy fats like organic butter and olive oil.

you cant jump straight into a low carb diet though. you have to go slow. start with more protein and fat at a meal and make sure what carbs you eat are more complex.

I find that since cutting most carbs and sugar out of breakfast I have felt better. I still sweeten my coffee but with xylitol (sugar and carb free and won't affect insulin/blood sugar and it is natural and has no aftertaste like splenda -blech) and I do use half and half but it is one carb lol

I limit my carbs to dinner now and it has me dropping pounds :) I have a salad with chicken or shrimp at lunch and even a Tbsp of ceasar dressing lol :)
  • AmandaP23
    AmandaP23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Amanda. I have had problems like this for a while now. I found that the more carbs I eat especially at night the more often I crash. I don't have a diagnosis of hypoglycemia but I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and have had the same problem for a while now with my sugar dropping. I know it started when I was 15 but we didn't really know that that is what it was. But I can totally relate, no matter what diet I go on I can't seem to lose the weight and I have horrible episodes of crashing sugar levels (anything under 100 and I get sick).
  • crowefoot
    crowefoot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do have hypoglycemia and can relate, every stupid blood test I have taken has come up with nothing though :( though aside from thyroid I have never had my hormones tested.

I had it when I was a kid (but didn;t realize that was what it was) but was super active and fit eating whaever I wanted. It has only caused me workout and weight issues now that I am older lol I do notice the more frequently I eat the more often I feel a crash coming on. I don't crash often but I still crash out of nowhere every now and then

I was finally diagnosed with hypoglycemia after ten months off work due to constant, crippling dizziness. It was a self-perpetuating cycle of feeling bad, eating easy comfort food, and feeling bad. Still, I metabolize strangely, so it didn't show up until I had a five-hour glucose tolerance test. My fasting baseline was 82 and that held fairly steady until I crashed to 45 in hour three. Previous tests showed nothing. If you haven't had a long GTT, I suggest you ask your doctor to order one.