Anyone with low thyroid? What are you eating??

Options
c_tap77
c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
I was recently diagnosed with having a low thyroid and put on medicine to help correct it (don't get me wrong--I'm not blaming my weight problems on my thyroid--that can be attributed to bad habits 100%).

What I'm wanting to know is should I be eating any differently because it's low? Are there certain things I should be avoiding or will losing weight for me still be a matter of just cutting back, eating right, and working out?

Replies

• thepiratemd
    Options
    low thyroid levels are associated with high LDL cholesterol. be more mindful of the cholesterol content of what you eat.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you've not discussed this with your doctor?

Anyhoo...when I was first diagnosed, I did tons of research. Here's an article that pretty much sums up what I found regarding foods, etc.:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/10-Things-To-Know-About-Thyroid-Disease-Foods-And-Drinks.htm
  • ggmalouise
    Options
    the thing I found to avoid is soy products, which surprised me. I thought soy (tofu, soy beans, soy milk) would be healthy but not for those with low thyroid. ask your doctor for more information on low thyroid, it causes other problems like high blood pressure and high LDL and can cause high blood sugar.
  • c_tap77
    Options
    I had all of my other numbers tested as well--my blood pressure was normal and my cholesterol and blood sugar were within the normal range.

My doctor told me if I had the will power I could safely cut my calories down to 1000 per day (which seems like not much at all). He just said I need to make sure I was still getting the right nutrients.

He just didn't really give me any insight into anything specific I shouldn't be eating--he recommended eating clean?
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You really don't HAVE to avoid anything or drastically change your diet. Although, I do agree with limiting the soy, if you do consume soy products. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago as hypo and yes I take the levothyroxine. I also happen to be one of these "nutrition practioners" the above article link mentions. Just take your med about 30-60 minutes before you eat anything and take iron, calcium or vitamin D supplements 3-4 hrs separate from the levothyroxine. I take the levo in the AM and the vitamin D and multivitamin at night. Also, if you haven't already, get your vitamin D level checked. I eat anything (really, ANYTHING) I want, within my calorie limit and exercise and I have had no problems losing weight (1730 calories). My cholesterol numbers are also very good. I'm averaging a pound a week which is right on target for me. Please don't cut to 1000 calories. Good luck!
  • c_tap77
    Options
    My vitamin D levels were actually low...so were my iron levels so I'm taking supplements for those as well as my multivitamin and fish oil. I pretty much do the same thing except my doctor has my rx broken up into 2 pills daily of the supplements so I've been talking the medicine for my thyroid as soon as I get up and eat breakfast after I shower/get ready for the day and then take the vitamin d and iron at lunch and before bed.

I'm glad to hear you don't cut to those levels because that seems nearly impossible based on the last couple days of logging. I'm just getting started logging (I joined a long time ago but was never really serious about keeping track until now) and I'm trying to plan everything out, but yesterday ended up feeling really hungry after about 1150 cals. I'm sure I can be more diligent but I'm not sure 1000-1200 every day is realistic?
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    My vitamin D levels were actually low...so were my iron levels so I'm taking supplements for those as well as my multivitamin and fish oil. I pretty much do the same thing except my doctor has my rx broken up into 2 pills daily of the supplements so I've been talking the medicine for my thyroid as soon as I get up and eat breakfast after I shower/get ready for the day and then take the vitamin d and iron at lunch and before bed.

I'm glad to hear you don't cut to those levels because that seems nearly impossible based on the last couple days of logging. I'm just getting started logging (I joined a long time ago but was never really serious about keeping track until now) and I'm trying to plan everything out, but yesterday ended up feeling really hungry after about 1150 cals. I'm sure I can be more diligent but I'm not sure 1000-1200 every day is realistic?

I noticed I was starving the first few days of dieting, but the other day when I actually ate 1200 calories (and didn't exercise), I felt full and only really wanted food as a comfort and not out of hunger. Give it a couple of days.

Also, I am hypothyroid, and the whole soy thing is actually only true for those who are borderline and risk getting on medications. I don't avoid soy and the jury is still out on that. That being said, I try not to eat more than 1-2 servings of soy a day. But I am mostly vegetarian except I eat fish. Which I guess would make me a pescetarian.

Another hting I have heard about thyroid problems is to avoid cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, etc. I CANNOT do this. No way. Sorry, love those veggies. I eat them anyway.

The last thing I am going to say about being hypothyroid, is if you have any stomach problems get tested or talk to a doctor about gluten sensitivity. I went my whole life having thyroid problems and diarrhea/stomach cramps until a doctor FINALLY suggested I might be gluten sensitive. I cut out gluten, and my stomach problems are much better. The jury is still out on whether my thyroid will improve (it was a recent change)
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me, honestly, 1200 calories isn't realistic. I LOVE TO EAT. I would not be a nice person at 1200. I'm doing pretty well at 1730. I started at 252, now at 222 and I realize that the less you weigh, the less calories you need. I follow the calorie guidelines MFP has set for me (I deleted the sugar and the sodium counts because they were just driving me crazy) and I don't stress about it (at first I did, it's hard not to obsess over it). There will be days you go over but you just get back on track. I've learned that exercise is my friend and also my dealer because I can eat more when I exercise. Just log EVERYTHING, EVERYDAY. Don't take the weekends off, or only log good days. I even log ketchup. Seriously. You can add me to your friend list if you want. My diary is open to my friends to keep me honest.

P.S. Are you taking fish oil AND vitamin D? Or the fish oil as vitamin D supplement? You don't need both.
  • c_tap77
    Options
    The last thing I am going to say about being hypothyroid, is if you have any stomach problems get tested or talk to a doctor about gluten sensitivity. I went my whole life having thyroid problems and diarrhea/stomach cramps until a doctor FINALLY suggested I might be gluten sensitive. I cut out gluten, and my stomach problems are much better. The jury is still out on whether my thyroid will improve (it was a recent change)

It's really interesting you should mention this because before I was even diagnosed with a thyroid problem I had seen another doctor (at the student health center where I went to college) suggested that a lot of my stomach problems could have been a gluten sensitivity, so I went gluten-free for about a year and it helped some but didn't completely solve my stomach issues. When I moved after college I my current doctor did a bunch of different tests and said most likely IBS. The jury is still out on that one. He's going to do some more tests when I go in for a follow up in September in light of the new thyroid issues.
  • c_tap77
    Options

P.S. Are you taking fish oil AND vitamin D? Or the fish oil as vitamin D supplement? You don't need both.

I actually misspoke earlier--my iron pill is 2x daily but my vitamin D I only take once a week per my RX. My doctor told me to go ahead and keep taking the fish oil in addition to the weekly supplement.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with having a low thyroid and put on medicine to help correct it (don't get me wrong--I'm not blaming my weight problems on my thyroid--that can be attributed to bad habits 100%).

What I'm wanting to know is should I be eating any differently because it's low? Are there certain things I should be avoiding or will losing weight for me still be a matter of just cutting back, eating right, and working out?

Synthroid isn't technically a medication; it's a hormone. It's just to replace what you lost that your body would normally make.

I would avoid soy products. They're bad for some people, trust me.
    Also avoid too much iodine all at once, or in a given week. (i.e. don't eat fish and avocados every day). Iodine is essential, but too much can make things worse too, just like too little. Also, no food within that hour or so period of time after taking T4 on an empty stomach in the morning. And no calcium, iron, or soy-containing foods for several hours after.

Weight, fatigue, constipation, and high cholesterol can be issues, but should not be once your levels are normal again. Do not go on a cholesterol-lowering med when it's the thyroid levels causing the issues (if you ever face that situation). For almost everyone, normal TSH should be under 4.0, and actually under 3.0 for the vast majority when managed properly.

Adequate Vitamin D is also crucial. Most good endocrinologists will have patients take supplements.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband and mother in law have had low thyroid issues for years. My husband has been on medication obviously and he can tell when he needs an adjustment because he is extremely tired, he normally has tons of energy, he is very active, he works 2 jobs and we have 2 small,active kids, he's never had an issue with his weight and our doctor said as long as your Synthroid is at the right dose you shouldn't. My Mother in law always blamed her weight on her low thyroid issue but oddly enough since she found MFP she has lost 85 pounds.

Most people don't realize you shouldn't take Synthroid with milk, I think you're suppose to wait an hour before ingesting dairy or it doesn't work properly, my husband was told this and once he told his mother she has felt better. Low thyroid really has to be monitored, make sure to get you blood work done at least once a year to make sure your medication is correct, more if you don't feel well or extra tired. Good luck!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    My husband and mother in law have had low thyroid issues for years. My husband has been on medication obviously and he can tell when he needs an adjustment because he is extremely tired, he normally has tons of energy, he is very active, he works 2 jobs and we have 2 small,active kids, he's never had an issue with his weight and our doctor said as long as your Synthroid is at the right dose you shouldn't. My Mother in law always blamed her weight on her low thyroid issue but oddly enough since she found MFP she has lost 85 pounds.

Most people don't realize you shouldn't take Synthroid with milk, I think you're suppose to wait an hour before ingesting dairy or it doesn't work properly, my husband was told this and once he told his mother she has felt better. Low thyroid really has to be monitored, make sure to get you blood work done at least once a year to make sure your medication is correct, more if you don't feel well or extra tired. Good luck!

2 to even 4 hours for anything with Calcium in it. The exception is someone who has always had a little milk in their morning coffee and feels fine and has had normal levels for many years. Patients were in the past not advised to avoid calcium, and some who have been on it a long time will have had their blood levels titrated to compensate for that behavior.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    2 to even 4 hours for anything with Calcium in it. The exception is someone who has always had a little milk in their morning coffee and feels fine and has had normal levels for many years. Patients were in the past not advised to avoid calcium, and some who have been on it a long time will have had their blood levels titrated to compensate for that behavior.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the correction!!!! I'm going to let my husband know as he has had his Synthroid adjusted frequently and he drinks a lot of milk, he usually waits one hour, sometimes 2, I wonder if it would be smart to take it at night before you go to bed?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    avoid anything soy and take your meds at the same time daily and min 1 hr before eating anything.
  • RunswithFred
    RunswithFred Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on thyroid meds for low thyroid and have been for 20 years. I avoid soy as it will render your meds null and void. You should also have your B12 levels checked when you get your regular blood work done. Your body produces an enzyme that converts what you eat into B12. Some thyroid people deliver Vitamin B12 anemia, which I have. It is another auto-immune disorder where your body just stops producing this enzyme. Mine did, and it was found by regular bloodwork, thanks to my doctor. I just take a B12 supplement every day and I have been fine. It is another thing you will want to keep track of.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've had low thyroid since childhood and am on Levothyroxine. What do I eat? Whatever I want to. I've lost 21 lbs. and have about 9 lbs. to go, have pizza( once a week or so), fried chicken ( twice a week or so), chocolate every day, meat, fruits, vegetables. I take calcium supplements, love cheese and yogurt; I don't drink milk at all because I hate the taste.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Thank you for the correction!!!! I'm going to let my husband know as he has had his Synthroid adjusted frequently and he drinks a lot of milk, he usually waits one hour, sometimes 2, I wonder if it would be smart to take it at night before you go to bed?
    [/quote]

Some people do benefit from taking it at night, but most do it first thing in the morning. Talk to the doc. Personally, I couldn't do that; I'm always eating in the evening...especially my cereal and milk I couldn't have in the morning!
  • c_tap77
    Options
    I actually never realized you had to wait that long for dairy! Thanks for the tip!!!