vegan nutrtion help please!

Options
H there!
I've bee tracking for almost a month now and can consistently get the right amounts of carbs, fats and protein, but I checked out my iron and calcium and they were quite low. what do you eat to get enough of these nutrients??? thanks so much for your help!!
Sanura

Replies

• andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am working on becoming a vegan and make my morning oatmeal with a cup of almond milk every day. It contains 30% of daily recommended calcium values. I also am currently taking a calcium supplement until I find more calcium rich foods because I usually only reach 70% of my recommended values in a day.
  • harrisja2
    Options
    I eat lots of soya products, such as soya milk, yoghurts, tofu and then leafy green veg, such as black nero kale. I manage to get my daily allowance. I also take a vegan vitamin supplement mainly for iron.
  • melbhall
    Options
    I am not a vegan but also have many questions about what to eat within that lifestyle. Does anyone know of a website that explains things? I feel really stupid about most of this stuff. Like, is soy milk considered milk? And can a vegan eat pasta (because isn't pasta made with eggs?) I'm not mocking, I'm just really uneducated on the subject and the more knowledge I gain (about the treatment of animals) the more I'm intrigued by this way of eating. Does anyone know of a good starting point...research wise.
  • MardellD
    Options
    Hi everyone, been a vegan for many years and this is one area that I have managed to stay on top of! I don't eat soy products, no tofu, no pre-prepared things and I can still normally get my daily allowences for calcuim and iron. The best way for soy is from soy nuts and soy beans, the more um-processed the better. Lots of nuts and seeds, I eat well over what I "should" in nuts and still don't max out calorie wise. Lots of dark green leafy veggies, lots of vitamin D (your body needs it to help increase and break down calcium properly) , almond milks, peanut butter, almond butter. There are days that you won't get it no matter how hard you try, it happens to me and at some point it's okay to let go of a day here or there. Get as close as you can every day, supplements help, but are not needed.
    A few websites that I love are www.goveg.com www.peta.org (there is some good info under eating vegetarian/vegan) also a list of foods that are vegan that I never would have guessed, has made my life easier and occasionally tastier.
    There is also Mike Dillman's Raw World... he has wonderful information of raw vegan diets, suppliments, vitamins, everything! Really usefull :D
  • melbhall
    Options
    Hi everyone, been a vegan for many years and this is one area that I have managed to stay on top of! I don't eat soy products, no tofu, no pre-prepared things and I can still normally get my daily allowences for calcuim and iron. The best way for soy is from soy nuts and soy beans, the more um-processed the better. Lots of nuts and seeds, I eat well over what I "should" in nuts and still don't max out calorie wise. Lots of dark green leafy veggies, lots of vitamin D (your body needs it to help increase and break down calcium properly) , almond milks, peanut butter, almond butter. There are days that you won't get it no matter how hard you try, it happens to me and at some point it's okay to let go of a day here or there. Get as close as you can every day, supplements help, but are not needed.
    A few websites that I love are www.goveg.com www.peta.org (there is some good info under eating vegetarian/vegan) also a list of foods that are vegan that I never would have guessed, has made my life easier and occasionally tastier.
    There is also Mike Dillman's Raw World... he has wonderful information of raw vegan diets, suppliments, vitamins, everything! Really usefull :D

Thank you for the websites. I will definitely check them out. My son is 14 months old, my husband and I are open to a change, and without the knowledge, we would be completely lost.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!!!! I'm going to check out those websites too!
  • KimuraCarter
    Options
    Bump!
  • sanura
    Options
    I've seen other threads where someone has said "bump" what does that mean?????
  • scentsykristen
    Options
    bump just moves the thread back up to the top of the list so it doesn't get lost.

My two sisters have recently become nutritarians. Like vegan, but more about the nutrition than the ethics, and also with a bit more flexibility.

My younger sister has incorporated it into her family with her kids who are 3 and 5. She still gives them a few more other foods to keep their nutritional needs met, but mostly they eat fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, and nuts and seeds. She is loving it and her kids are adapting just fine. I am so proud of her for starting this while they are young and will learn healthy eating habits for the rest of their lives.

I'm trying to do this too, but seem to still really crave things like cream cheese and fried foods. I am definately eating healthier though!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I've seen other threads where someone has said "bump" what does that mean?????
    Bring
    Up
    My
    It moves it to the top of recent posts and it adds it to the "My Topics" section so you can find it more easily
  • sanura
    Options
    now I get it! thanks!
    also, Kristen, thanks for sharing about your sisters and the kids. so far I'm not changin too much what my kids eat, as long they get some veggies in with it. I figure slow change is easier on them.