Goodbye

Options
__Di__
__Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
I have had to make this thread to say goodbye. :brokenheart:

Yes, goodbye to my favourite pair of running shoes, they have finally reached their limit of 800km and now they must be discarded with. :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

Unfortunately, I just cannot bring myself to do that, they were the trainers that got me outside running :heart:

I shall keep them for gardening or something.

:brokenheart:

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    They say to change every 300 miles or so.

Personally, I can feel when they need replacing. The cushioning wears out and I can feel it in my lower back. 700+ miles not uncommon. I've had two pairs of Brooks that were good for 900 before they gave up the ghost.

I'm just saying, other than the number of miles, what indicates they need replacing?
  • __Di__
    Options
    They say to change every 300 miles or so.

Personally, I can feel when they need replacing. The cushioning wears out and I can feel it in my lower back. 700+ miles not uncommon. I've had two pairs of Brooks that were good for 900 before they gave up the ghost.

I'm just saying, other than the number of miles, what indicates they need replacing?

They start to disintegrate inside the sole, also keep your eye on how they wear down, are they wearing to one side more than the other, if so under or over pronation is happening, this can also cause injuries.

Also, the following from a Asics site (although mine are Saucony it is the same advice for all shoes):

http://www.asics.co.uk/running/knowledge/change-your-running-shoes-at-the-correct-time/

When the outer sole has worn through to the white midsole.
    When the midsole feels too soft and collapses easily under pressure. You may see longitudinal creases in the midsole.
    When the heel counter becomes mobile and less supportive.
    When your toes wear through the toe-box, and shoe upper tears.
    If one shoe sole becomes asymmetrically worn compared the other.
    If one or both shoes no longer stand up straight when placed on a flat surface.

I have three pairs altogether (or I did have, now I have two lol), I alternate them on run days and keep a running total of mileage in each pair.
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    my shoes have gone way flat. it's probably 4+ months overdue for a new pair.

does Target sell real running shoes or will I need to make the trek to the nearest running store? I need a high arched shoe so there's a pair of Acsics I have that are great
  • __Di__
    Options
    my shoes have gone way flat. it's probably 4+ months overdue for a new pair.

does Target sell real running shoes or will I need to make the trek to the nearest running store? I need a high arched shoe so there's a pair of Acsics I have that are great

Yes, they aren't supporting when they go like that.

Not sure about Target, we don't have that store in the UK as far as I know, it probably won't be long before they open one mind :laugh:

They do sell running shoes for both male and female though by the looks of it:

http://www.target.com/c/athletic-shoes-men/-/N-5xu1p
    http://www.target.com/c/athletic-shoes-women/-/N-5xtcp
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I keep my retired running shoes for walking and biking. They still have good life left in them, just not for running. Mine, on top of the shoe at least, still look brand new when they're too worn to run in.

I'm about to retire my current pair too. I have one more new pair stashed in my closet and then I have to find a new favorite as mine have been retired. I'll probably try the "new" version of my shoes and see if they still work well for me.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I probably should replace my Nike Free's... but they feel so damn good to run in I cannot bring myself to do it!
  • __Di__
    Options
    I probably should replace my Nike Free's... but they feel so damn good to run in I cannot bring myself to do it!

See :brokenheart: :cry:

I couldn't chuck mine out either as I said. Replace them but keep the old ones too, but not to run in.

I think we are all losing it :frown:
  • __Di__
    Options
    I keep my retired running shoes for walking and biking. They still have good life left in them, just not for running. Mine, on top of the shoe at least, still look brand new when they're too worn to run in.

I'm about to retire my current pair too. I have one more new pair stashed in my closet and then I have to find a new favorite as mine have been retired. I'll probably try the "new" version of my shoes and see if they still work well for me.

I am praying the ones I use never stop being manufactured! Makes me panic at the thought of it!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I didn't replace my favorite pair of walking shoes until I slipped and fell on 3 different occasions wearing them... It wasn't until I looked at a new pair that I realized just how worn the sole was...I really didn't think I'd worn them that much, but there was no tread left on the bottom, smooth as a hairless cat.
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I found a really cool tip that goes like this: you should buy two pairs of running shoes at first. One pair that you wear every day and one pair that you just wear on Sundays.

When you start to feel the difference between the Sunday shoes and the everyday shoes, toss the everyday shoes.

Use the old Sunday shoes every day.

Then buy a new pair to wear on Sundays.

It works really well and you are always sure to have the support that your feet deserve.
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree I don't get rid of my running shoes until I feel uncomfortable running you can usually tell when that is I have my oldest shoes even I wear them all the time for yard work and just everyday used (:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I am praying the ones I use never stop being manufactured! Makes me panic at the thought of it!

I can relate to that. Every time my favourite shoe has a new iteration I get a little nervous, fortunately (so far) the changes have been pretty much just cosmetic. I am a little disappointed that they've dropped the neon yellow from the colour selection......:laugh:
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    Blech... I wish a decent pair wasn't so expensive. I won't even tell you how old my only pair of athletic shoes are. I only use them at the gym and I probably have been overdue for a good pair for a long time. /sigh
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    I found a really cool tip that goes like this: you should buy two pairs of running shoes at first. One pair that you wear every day and one pair that you just wear on Sundays.

When you start to feel the difference between the Sunday shoes and the everyday shoes, toss the everyday shoes.

Use the old Sunday shoes every day.

Then buy a new pair to wear on Sundays.

It works really well and you are always sure to have the support that your feet deserve.

That's a great idea!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Keep them in a closet and maybe if you do some sort of race that involves mud, etc., you can use those then discard them after you ruin them! :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    vibrums... no break down. <3 not having to replace shoes ever 3 months/300 miles. tis awesome.

Good job on wearing them out though!!!