Your first time overseas

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was 18 and went to Germany to nanny for my 2 nieces. I traveled alone and navigating the Paris, Amsterdam and Munich airports by myself was a little intimidating. I was a cute 18 year old so I had plenty of help.

Lucky you blerch smiley
  • TracieWomble
    TracieWomble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We went on a school trip to Holland when I was 10, without parents, but obviously with teachers. I loved every minute of it. With phones, skype and email nowadays, they are never more than a click away. Your youngster will be fine. Embrace the down-time and look forward to their return.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've never gone overseas without my parents. Even as an adult. Hint: Don't travel overseas with your husband, parents and sister when you are in your 40s. Don't!

Age 12 --- Traveled to Israel and then The Netherlands. My dad had meetings with his publisher.
    Age 15 --- Traveled to England (sidetrips to Scotland and Wales). My dad was on Sabbatical, teaching in Manchester.
    Age 18 --- Traveled to England and France.
    Age 20 --- Traveled to England and The Netherlands. My dad was presenting at a convention.
    Age 22 --- Traveled to Israel.
    Age 42 --- Traveled to Israel.

And of course, there have been many many drives to Canada and Mexico.

Crikey.

LOL Except for the Israel trips, most of the others were paid for by the companies or universities inviting my dad to present or lecture or whatever. They paid for my dad's and my mom's plane tickets and lodging. My parents paid for mine and my sister's tickets, but we were children and we were less expensive. My parents were experts at turning business trips into tourist visits.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    You misunderstand, I think.

The crikey is not wow, you have travelled so much you must be rich.

The crikey is bloody hell, spread your wings and do something on your own!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, and my first time travelling wasn't until I was 36, to Mexico. We went to the Dominican Republic the year after, which is over water, but not way over......lol. I've never been to Europe or Asia, but our 18 yr old went to Europe last year with her school for 10 days. I was a wreck!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I was 3 :P
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was in my 30's and did a lot of traveling for business.

My daughter was 12 and she went to Europe.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    17, I was there for 2 weeks. It wa the first time I had been on an airplane, the first time I was so far away from home without my mom.

Best trip of my life honestly. I would do it all over again.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I'm in Canada, and my first time travelling wasn't until I was 36, to Mexico. We went to the Dominican Republic the year after, which is over water, but not way over......lol. I've never been to Europe or Asia, but our 18 yr old went to Europe last year with her school for 10 days. I was a wreck!

That is where I am with our 11yo. He will be fine, and all this Fukushima rubbish in the water will be fine. It is all fine (crikey smiley).
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    canada and mexico dont count right? so late 20's to Paris.

my niece who is 5 just did the Disney Mediterranean cruise(Monaco, Italy, Greece, Spain, Turkey). she has also been to Hawaii, Disney World, Disney Landx2, Disney Cruise to Castaway Key(Bahamas)x2 along with smaller trips to New York City, Sante Fe Balloon festival and many other small trips.

thats a lot of traveling for a 5 year old. i was in my 30's before i had done that much. :D

My daughter is also 5, and she's been on more trips than I had been on by the time I was married! :laugh:

My first trip out of the continental US was to the Bahamas when I was 25. My first trip farther east was to London and Paris when I was 31.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I haven't been overseas yet :( but I plan on going to Rome sometime in the next year or 2
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I had NO money for some time after college, so if you count the Bahamas, it was age 25.
    If you count Bermuda, then 30.
    If you count Europe and Asia, then age 50.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Ahaha kids who have been to Disney. Mykidshavebeentotheamazon smiley.

How old were you the first time you travelled overseas without your parents?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I don't count school trips for this.

First time truly alone.....I was 14 and went from London to the French Alps by train, boat and plane on my own.

Awesome stuff.

I have never travelled overseas by myself. I have always been with a school group, with a parent or with a partner.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Damn, the anti-Disney post killed my thread. I should have known better.
  • chlsyrhd
    chlsyrhd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was 20 and I studied abroad in Uganda and Rwanda. I had layovers in Frankfurt, Germany and then Addis Ababa, Ethiopia before arriving...but I'm definitely not counting either of those.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Without family? 16 I think
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was about 9 years old. My mom, my bro and I went to Singapore and Tokyo. It was amazing to immerse myself in another culture. I still have vivid memories of the smells, the new foods, the language difference.

I love traveling. I've been abroad to about 15 countries now. I have another 20 or so I want to see before I die.

The first time I traveled without family was a trip to New Zealand was when I was in my mid-20s and it was for a cousin's wedding. I enjoyed the scenery, but the pace of life in certain parts of the country is too slow for me. Auckland was more my style. I could see myself living there.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You misunderstand, I think.

The crikey is not wow, you have travelled so much you must be rich.

The crikey is bloody hell, spread your wings and do something on your own!

Oh, lol. I've had enough. We all went to Israel a couple years ago. Now I never ever ever want to set foot on an airplane again. I'm tired of it. There is nothing that I really want to see that is more than a seven hour plane ride right here within the States.