Dizzy..... Light Headed.... and Fuzzy for 3 weeks!

Options
I've been counting calories and exercising for just over 3 weeks now and I have a terrible "fuzzy" feeling... dizzy and light headed alot. I spoke with one of the providers at the Dr's Office I work at and she thinks maybe I am not eating enough calories.
Has anyone else felt this way?? Any advice? I went from drinking pop everyday to only drinking water and G2, so I am staying hydrated. Part of it may be the sinus infection I am fighting off.... not sure.
Any advice would be great!!!!!!

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Are you feeling hungry, how many calories are you eat a day??? You may need to gradually decrease your calories to the amount you want to eat to lose weight, maybe it too much of a change for you all at once, or maybe you need to just up them all together, everyone is different so you may not be able to eat that little. Keep in mind you should be eating AT LEAST 1200 a day, and if your bigger it should be quite a bit more. Hope you feel better!
  • rebeccag81
    Options
    it's possible you aren't eating enough calories. that happened to me in the mornings a few times after i started really watching my calories and i was running in the morning. now i make sure i eat a good breakfast when i finish my run and i don't have a problem with it.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories a day and not eating back my workout calories and I felt the same way for 2 weeks, I started eating most of my workout calories and it went away.
  • bigdiva78
    Options
    I am eating 1800 a day, I was feeling this way at first. Now, it has subsided.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hi Stace,

I reckon you're probably doing too much. Not enough calories, too much exercise. I feel like this when I come of the step some mornings but soon as I eat, I feel ok again.

Perhaps you just need to eat more hun. Are you eating into your exercise calories, or sticking with 1200?? If you're sticking with 1200 just up it 100-200 when you exercise. Your body needs the fuel :flowerforyou:
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was on a vegetable and protein kick earlier this summer .... lost weight quick but experienced what you are describing. I ending up fainting/blacking out and found out that my blood pressure was super low. Maybe it would be good to check that out (your blood pressure, I mean)? I don't think I was eating enough at the time, and I had cut out practically all sugar and salt in addition to starting softball games twice a week. What others are suggesting about doing too much too quickly may be true when it comes to dizziness, etc. when dieting.
  • I've been counting calories and exercising for just over 3 weeks now and I have a terrible "fuzzy" feeling... dizzy and light headed alot. I spoke with one of the providers at the Dr's Office I work at and she thinks maybe I am not eating enough calories.
    Has anyone else felt this way?? Any advice? I went from drinking pop everyday to only drinking water and G2, so I am staying hydrated. Part of it may be the sinus infection I am fighting off.... not sure.
    Any advice would be great!!!!!!

Part of the problem might be the sinus infection, but I know that I spent 5 hrs yesterday doing research on BMI, BMR, LBM, and TDEE; and I found that I needed to make some major adjustments in the goals area.
  • adplus7
    Options
    I felt that way today. I know it's because I had too few calories.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me when I've got low blood sugar, have you tried breaking your meals up into 5-6 mini meals a day, that might help? I think others covered getting enough cals in. When I workout I have to do combo carb/protein so the carb doesn't hit me too fast and not last for the full workout. Eating it with the protein slows it down for me. I can only workout though for about 30 minutes and need a carb fix quick so I have to always have something with me, raisins, or whatever is simple to carry that works quick.

Not knowing any of your background, I don't know if any of this is your issue. But even a person without T2 can also get low blood sugar from not refueling the tank (body) enough through out the day.

Hope everyone's tips helped you some :)
    Becca:drinker:
  • mhackworth
    mhackworth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not a healthcare provider but, I don't know what G2 is and if it's like Gatoraide it's not good for you. But water sometimes isn't enough, an 8oz glass of chocolate milk is the best, it's extremly effective for rehydrating your body and balancing out your electrolites as well as promoting muscle building and repair. A glass of 100% orange juice and other juices are great too. I'm not sure what your eating, but your body may be lacking important nutrients if your not eating enough fruits and vegetables and juice is a filling and great way to get the nutrients. I'm not talking about the overprocessed, severely lacking juices like V8, you want to stick to 100% juices, otherwise theres usually only 2% juice and the rest are dies, sweeteners and fillers like HFCS. But really you should consult your doctor and maybe a Registered Dietician, there could be something underlying or your diet or exercise may not be right for you.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In addition to making sure you're getting enough calories, I'd also wonder about that sinus infection. Are you taking medication for it? That might cause side effects. Or, if the infection has gotten into your inner ear, that can cause dizziness.

For sinus problems I highly recommend using a neti pot. Most drug stores sell them these days. Pay very close attention to the directions about salt and temperature, or you'll not like it! They're a little gross if you're not used to the idea of pouring salt water through your nose, but it has saved me from getting several sinus infections over the past year. I used to get them every single time I got any kind of cold or flu that my daughter brought home from school. Since I started using it I haven't had to resort to antibiotics once, and it stopped it from turning into bronchitis too!

When you're sick, be nice to your body so it has enough energy to fight things off.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thanks so much! lots of great advice. I eat my 1200 a day but don't always eat the exercise calories. I went from eating all the time... to 1200 calories. My body is surely in shock!!! I will up my calories and see how that goes. I just had one of the nurses check my BP and it was perfect. Prob check my blood sugars in the morning though just to make sure.
    alittle nervous about step aroebics tonight at 6pm - surely do not want to pass out !! lol
    Have a fabulous night!!!
    Stac
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're getting enough iron also?
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Uhm... hullooo.. caffeine withdrawal. If you had soda or coffee every day and you didnt' wean yourself off, I'd say it's withdrawal. ALL these symptoms fit and it takes a few weeks for it to stop. The length of time varies for every individual... no less than 3 weeks though. Yay you, huh? Yeah, caffeine doesn't stay in your system for all that long, but the addiction does.

It affects cognitive functioning at a pretty high level until your brain chemistry re-regulates. That takes a while. A way to find out is to have a diet caffeinated soda (no cals) or black coffee (4 cals, I think?) and see if the symptoms subside. It's a quick and easy experiment to rule it in or out. If it helps, then you know for sure and since you're already 3 weeks in, just keep pushing through it. It should stop soon. :-)

Good luck!!
  • ktgirl20
    ktgirl20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You said you went from drinking soda pop to water and G2, maybe it's your body making the transition from the high fructose corn syrup in the soda to no sugar in the water . I'm sure your sinus infection isn't helping either. Some medications can make people groggy too if you're taking anything over the counter. Feel better soon, you're on the right track. : ) -Kate G.