New dieter

Options
Hello everyone, I am excited & nervous about starting this new venture for my life! I want to lose 75 lbs. by next July and get healthy for my heart and keep my blood sugar down. My daughter & son have got me motivated, as they are concerned for my health & want me around for when they have children, & I want so much want to have grandchildren & to be able to enjoy them!

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am excited & nervous about starting this new venture for my life! I want to lose 75 lbs. by next July and get healthy for my heart and keep my blood sugar down. My daughter & son have got me motivated, as they are concerned for my health & want me around for when they have children, & I want so much want to have grandchildren & to be able to enjoy them!

Welcome! Congratulations on starting your journey.

This is my hope for both my parents. My Dad is very overweight, and I want him to be around to be a grandpa one day.
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm new also. Welcome. Good for you in taking this first step! I think it's important not to think of it as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. Its been my experience that diets don't work.. they are a temporary solution and usually backfire on me. Anything I've lost on a diet, has come back, and then some!!

Good luck to you in your journey!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You'll find lots of different folks with lots of different recommendations in this community. There is no ONE answer or magic pill or potion. One thing you'll find many of the folks who have lost lots of weight have in common is a mindset that this is not "going on a diet" but rather a lifestyle changes that involves having a healthy diet of appropriate portions combined with moderate exercise.

But you've found yourself in a great online community and you will find your niche and have success here. By the way, spend some time looking through the postings on the success thread and you'll be amazed!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You'll find lots of different folks with lots of different recommendations in this community. There is no ONE answer or magic pill or potion. One thing you'll find many of the folks who have lost lots of weight have in common is a mindset that this is not "going on a diet" but rather a lifestyle changes that involves having a healthy diet of appropriate portions combined with moderate exercise.

But you've found yourself in a great online community and you will find your niche and have success here. By the way, spend some time looking through the postings on the success thread and you'll be amazed!

EXACTLY. Once I was able to tell myself that this is a PERMANENT lifestyle change, I was able to tackle my food addiction and start getting healthy! Find foods that you enjoy eating. I used to try eating salads, and frankly, I hate salads. There are other healthy options I could do,but I was burning myself out by eating healthy foods I didn't enjoy. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me, and welcome to MFP!
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And yes a support team is big
  • catrionaprovan
    catrionaprovan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Support is the best thing about MFP, feel free to add me as a friend, and we will support each other
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As an older woman I've found that exercise plays a much bigger role in weight loss than when I was younger. This is the time when it's typical to lose bone and muscle mass, so resistance training becomes really important to prevent it. Naturally, diet is also important. Keep a modest deficit, as losing too quickly may lead to more muscle loss. Make sure to get enough calcium, vitamin D and not too much salt to prevent bone loss.

It can be a little more difficult for some older women to shape up, but it's totally possible. You just have to form a reasonable plan that meets your goals and that you can stick with long term.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou: