Cardio & weightlifting VS. Cardio only

Options
I've read different things on the matter so I'm a little confused. If I'm trying to slim down and lose excess weight, I've read that it's best to stick to cardio THEN do weights once some weight is gone to sculpt. ALSO, i've read that lifting weights and combined cardio help lose weight without bulking. Any thoughts? I'm not working on a specific area of my body right now, just need to drop 60 lbs first.

Replies

• TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You should try Jillian 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30--they incorporate both cardio, light weight training and body resistance work. I bet you would see a lot of good results with dedication to it.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Start doing cardio 3x a week.
    Do some weightlifting and then cardio 3x a week. You will start to see the weight melt off of you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't need cardio at all for weight loss. What cardio does is allow you to eat more to lose the same amount of weight you could have lost from diet alone. (Eating 500 cals less than maintenance and burning 500 cals from exercise would yeild the same weight loss result as cutting 1000 cals from your diet).

Adding strength training in will help lead to a higher % of your loss coming from fat, vs with no strength training. In other words if you strength train you will keep the muscle you already have, if you don't you will lose some of that muscle.

So that said best thing for fat loss (not weight loss, fat loss) is strength training, adequate protein intake, and a caloric deficit. the caloric deficit can be from diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) It's a mix.

B) losing weight is less calories in vs calories out. Exercise helps with this deficit, cardio with great high cal burns.

C) Lifting weights helps you maintain muscle mass as the weight comes off, so you have better definition. Why would you want to do all this cardio, ad then have to work that much harder to put muscle back on.

D) No matter how much you lift, if you're in a deficit you won't bulk.
  • tnkmd
    tnkmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more weight you'll lose (muscle burns fat). I'd do three days of cardio and three days of strength. Chalean Extreme is a good weight lifting program. Her Turbo Fire is good for cardio, but it is advanced and you may need to work up to it.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You can do just cardio if you want, or you can even do no exercise at all and still lose weight. The reason weight training is important is because when you eat a deficit your body eats itself without discrimination (or at least much discrimination. Someone correct me if I'm wrong). In any event, this means that you will lose weight, but you will lose both fat and muscle. Weight training will help to preserve the muscle that you have, and if you do enough of it you will gain more muscle. You will not get bulky from moderate to heavy weight training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should try Jillian 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30--they incorporate both cardio, light weight training and body resistance work. I bet you would see a lot of good results with dedication to it.

It may use weights, but it is a cardio program, not strength training. with a strength training routine you should not be able to more than 12-15 reps (preferably less) before you can't do any more with that selected weight.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire in the the am. Then at night I go for a speed walk with 2lb weights on my wrists (pump your arms at a 90 degree angle. You'll feel the burn for sure). When I get back, I do a few reps/sets with some light free weights. Women don't have the testosterone to "bulk up". Super ripped women just do higher weights with lots of sets. The really ripped ones are probably using something other than water to get big muscle. I got my free weights at Walmart. I think they were $4 each.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You don't need cardio at all for weight loss. What cardio does is allow you to eat more to lose the same amount of weight you could have lost from diet alone. (Eating 500 cals less than maintenance and burning 500 cals from exercise would yeild the same weight loss result as cutting 1000 cals from your diet).

Adding strength training in will help lead to a higher % of your loss coming from fat, vs with no strength training. In other words if you strength train you will keep the muscle you already have, if you don't you will lose some of that muscle.

So that said best thing for fat loss (not weight loss, fat loss) is strength training, adequate protein intake, and a caloric deficit. the caloric deficit can be from diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise.

Yep

A) It's a mix.

B) losing weight is less calories in vs calories out. Exercise helps with this deficit, cardio with great high cal burns.

C) Lifting weights helps you maintain muscle mass as the weight comes off, so you have better definition. Why would you want to do all this cardio, ad then have to work that much harder to put muscle back on.

Yep
  • glocke12
    glocke12 Posts: 21
    Options
    I think you really need both...

I am 250 lbs, and am mainly trying for weight loss now and don't want to get bulked up. FOr the past moth I am trying to stick to a routine where one week I will do intense cardio 3x a week and cardio + weights 2x week..another week I will just do intense cardio 5 times a week.
  • Crazy77277
    Options
    the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism is the more fat you will lose. Remember you might weigh more because you've gained muscle but you will get smaller because muscle takes up less room than fat. I would do 3 cardio days 3 weight days per week. and measure yourself don't weigh yourself. scales are depressing to me and they don't give an accurate account of your progress. and make sure when lifting you are using a weight you are challenged with. if your doing 10 reps and its not a challenge on the last couple reps its to light. when beginning weight training you will have a little water weight because your muscles hold fluids to heal but don't let that discourage you if you keep it up then your muscles will get use to it and not hold so much.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire in the the am. Then at night I go for a speed walk with 2lb weights on my wrists (pump your arms at a 90 degree angle. You'll feel the burn for sure). When I get back, I do a few reps/sets with some light free weights. Women don't have the testosterone to "bulk up". Super ripped women just do higher weights with lots of sets. The really ripped ones are probably using something other than water to get big muscle. I got my free weights at Walmart. I think they were $4 each.

Women do have testosterone
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    Weight training isn't bad. Muscles burn more calories than fat does even at rest. I wouldn't delay starting asap, even with something gentle.

Also, toss out the idea that you will bulk up. You would have to do some serious lifting, as well as adding supplements and following a very strict diet. Don't even worry about that.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do both; heavier on the weight lifting side (1hr lift and about 20 min vigorous cardio). Its all about balance. Cardio is great for areas that are hard to burn fat...belly fat (which is also affected by diet). Weight training will burn more than any cardio session. Also, unless you begin to take supplements or similar type products, women are not genetically built to "bulk". I lift almost 3 times as much as most women (sometimes its crazy just thinking about it) at the gym and I'm still not bulky or "manish". Good luck!
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    30ds falls into that cardio lifting range sort of. You can lfit higher reps and lower weights and get the cardio, but as long as yo udo it to fatigue you will grow some muscle. But only so much and at a rapidly slow place. You wont bulk doing this method at all. Some people simply cant do heavy lifting. Its just not possible at their current stage, so as a good intro cardio lifting as it was explained to me is a good medium step in. it also is easier on the body and can give you a good feeling of accomplishment until you can do heavier weights at lower reps which is the real goal.

So as a transition from a cardio only routine, 30DS is a good step, then onto some machines with higher reps and lower weights to get comfortable, then on to full on lifting routines. It can also help you learn some form because most people I see that jump right into lifting have bad form and end up getting hurt really quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit results in weight loss. Both cardio and resistance training are for fitness. Cardio burns more calories DURING work, compared to resistance training, but doesn't help to increase metabolic rate (with the exception of HIIT cardio) nor help to retain current lean muscle. Resistance training doesn't burn a lot of calories, but retains lean muscle which is responsible for higher metabolism. The goal should be to try to retain lean muscle while losing bodyfat which is why practically all programs out there will combine both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Start weight lifting now. Lift heavy (5 rep max) about 3 x week. I know cardio is not required for weight loss, but I still try to run at least 3 x week (I like running!).

The most important thing is calories in vs calories out. As long as you have a deficit, you should lose. Weight lifting will definitely help and you will not bulk up!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Weight training isn't bad. Muscles burn more calories than fat does even at rest. I wouldn't delay starting asap, even with something gentle.

Also, toss out the idea that you will bulk up. You would have to do some serious lifting, as well as adding supplements and following a very strict diet. Don't even worry about that.

That's probably because stored fat burns 0 calories, it's just stored energy...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A) It's a mix.

This!^

It's a combination ...... keeping muscle while dieting (with resistance training) ...... is much easier than having to add it back. Reduced muscle mass lowers your metabolism. Protect exisiting muscle.
  • scottaworley
    Options

That's probably because stored fat burns 0 calories, it's just stored energy...

Fat burns 2 calories per day per pound. Muscle burns 6.