need recommendations for a strap free heart rate monitor

Options
A fitness instructor suggested I get a polar f4 to keep track of calories burned during workouts. I was all set to get it, until I found out I had to wear a chest strap with it. Does anyone have one of those? Do I have to wear a chest strap with it? I don't want to wear anything extra. Any other recommendations for a budget friendly basic heart rate monitor that will keep track of calories burned without the extra strap?

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    chest strap is really the best option. The others don't work well at all and you have to keep putting your finger on it constantly to get a reading. You really won't even notice the chest strap while working out
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    the strap is the best way to get a continuous reading. Everything else is passive reading, meaning you have to stop what you are doing and get a reading. There are watches that will do this, but since its not continuous the numbers are pretty off. What they will do is take an average at the sample rate you set, so if you only do readings at the highest rates, it assumes you are at that rate all the time. Very innacurat. The strap HRMs are much more accurate in getting you a solid reading on your heart and a good sampling of the activity level you are at.

My question is, what is the aversion to wearing a strap? I am a very large guy and I dont even feel it when it is on. I have a Polar h7 and it works great
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters! I have the Polar FT7 and the chest strap is quite comfortable!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I actually love my FT4. I don't even notice the strap when I am wearing it (I do make sure it is tucked under my bra band though). The strap makes it so you don't have to stop and make an effort to get your HR as you do with just the watches. I have worn the band doing almost every type of exercise and never had a problem, not even when I wore it for a half marathon.

If you bought it from REI or some place like that you could try it and if you absolutely hated it you could return it no questions asked.

It really is worth it!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you ABSOLUTELY want the chest strap one. I have the FT4 and LOVE it.
    You don't feel the strap. Ever. I even forget I'm wearing it sometimes and forget to take it off until like an hour after I'm done!!

The plain wrist ones aren't as accurate and you want accurate
  • jaryan1
    jaryan1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 with the chest strap. I believe these are the most accurate that have the chest strap. It really isn't that inconvenient and weighs nearly nothing. I would recommend it and it has been great for me. It is really an eye opener to see what actual calories you burn vs what the machines say. They overestimate by at least 100 calories every time I get on it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My question is, what is the aversion to wearing a strap? I am a very large guy and I dont even feel it when it is on.
    I wonder this too. I have the Polar FT4F, and I love it! I actually notice more if I'm not wearing my HRM than if I am. I don't even feel the chest strap, but if I forget it, I can't stop thinking about it the whole time I'm working out.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    No strap = not a good reading.

Agree with everyone. You can get the wrist ones, I've heard some people love them... I also thought about getting on but as I didn't care what my heart rate number was per say, I was just trying to be more active, I got a fitbit instead.

I have a lot of friends who love their FT4 and FT7. So splurge a bit, it'll be worth it when you reach your goals :)
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 too and the chest strap is very comfortable. I often forget to take it off!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    chest strap is really the best option. The others don't work well at all and you have to keep putting your finger on it constantly to get a reading. You really won't even notice the chest strap while working out

This.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You won't find a good non-strap HRM that has decent calorie burn estimates.

And a good non-strap one isn't cheap either.

Sadly the cheaper Polars even with strap are going to be making some assumptions in the math for estimating calorie burn (only heart rate is measured, calorie burn is estimate from several assumptions and math.)

RS300X is about the cheapest that has required settings for decent estimate of calories burned doing steady-state aerobic exercises, but of course requires chest strap.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Chest strap is more accurate, I have the FT6 and it does't bother me while working out.
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you ABSOLUTELY want the chest strap one. I have the FT4 and LOVE it.
    You don't feel the strap. Ever. I even forget I'm wearing it sometimes and forget to take it off until like an hour after I'm done!!

The plain wrist ones aren't as accurate and you want accurate

Same here regarding the strap - I love my FT 4
  • 10XCHADD
    10XCHADD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a F4 Chest strap and watch that I wear while working out and I LOVE IT!! Actually, honestly I didn't wear it for 2 years. I got it on sale at Academy and wasn't into cardio so it sat. I since then have started the Focus T25 program and I love it because I can take it anywhere with me easily and it does not really restrict my movement at all.

I actually love the WATCH too because it is super light and comfortable. I would sugget that you purchase the F4 because it rocks!