what's your preference? solo spin or class

Options
Hi all,

Just out of interest for those who enjoy a good spin session, do you prefer to do it by yourself or to join the gym class?

I've always enjoyed cycling outdors and but have rarely done indoor cycling. However I've had a shin injury for two months which has meant I can't do my usual treadmill session for cardio, so I've started using the spin bike on the gym floor. I've downloaded a few coached sessions onto my mp3 player, so I plug in a do a session on my own. I feel I'm working hard and its a good workout. I do 5 sessions of up to 35/45/60 mins per session through the week (depending on time available) and they feel like hard work sessions. They include a mix of speed and climb intervals across a variety of sets.

I'm wondering if I should try a class for some variety and if it would push me harder. But I'm anxious about going into a class because I'm not sure what to expect, and I'm worried whether I will be able to keep up with the pace, and if I struggle with it I would probably be too embarrassed to walk out half way through :-)

So just wondered what works for you and what your thoughts are on class v solo?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I actually do both. I kind of PREFER solo- only because I do 30 minutes instead of like 50 (which for me and my none cardio self that's more than enough) and I tend to dislike how loud they keep their music- and not all the instructors do it the way I like it (You're RMPS should be XX... up the resistence- your RPMS should be YY... most of them just say I"m at 15 or I'm at 20... not NEARLY so helpful

30 minutes for me is good. But I do like the class. I do like it because they challenge me in a way I don't do myself.

Now. I challenge myself. I push hard- I do variations- intervals- sprints hill climbs. But I have only been spinning on and off for like 2-3 months- 1 maybe 2x a week... so my arsenal of HOW to get the most out of my workout is limited- which is why I say they can push me harder.

I mostly prefer working out alone- but there is something quiet fun about spinning so I go on Fridays' occasionally- or the odd ball Thursday class. I'm no die hard so it doesn't matter that much either way for me :D
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Class is more interesting to me. I do 2 days/week of solo HIIT, so 1 spin class is fun.
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've only done the classes...which I love :heart:
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have only done classes but I am thinking about purchasing a spin bike for at home. Where did you download your apps from? I am VERY interested in that!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Spin Class, I have to sign up in advance so it holds me accountable to go. The type of instructor makes a big difference, the class I currently attend is motivational and high energy. All the lights are off during class except a black light and a couple colorful lights so you cannot really see what others are doing, it makes some people feel more comfortable since they feel others cannot look at them.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like both. I have certain teachers that really challenge me, so I go 3-4 times a week to classes, then I do my own on the off days.

Also, if you are looking for routines or music to cycle by try musicforcyling.com
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Solo.

I have my own approach to training that you don't find in a class. I follow these recommendations:
    http://philmaffetone.com/files/Want_Speed_Slow_Down_2007.pdf

Did a 65 minute workout this morning using those guidelines. Used the QuickStart option on the stationary cycle and started out with 3 min on level 1. Then 3 min on level 2, etc. Every 3 minutes I bumped it up another level. Stopped advancing intensity when my HR was just under the 180 formula MAF. Adjusted level and/or rpm* to keep HR near, but below MAF. At the 45 minute mark I dropped it back one level for the next 15 minutes. At minute 60 the cycle changed into a 5 minute cooldown.

* I keep a 90 rpm minimum and was turning around 100 rpm for much of the session.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have only done classes but I am thinking about purchasing a spin bike for at home. Where did you download your apps from? I am VERY interested in that!

Hi there, apologies for not responding sooner. The tracks I've downloaded are from MotionTraxx and iAmplify

The motion traxx ones are their premium mixes, but they have free downloads as well which I've used.

http://motiontraxx.com/mix/exercise/cycling/

iAmplify are paid for podcasts

http://www.iamplify.com/store/category/cycling-workout-and-spinning-classes-video-and-mp3-download/category/id/10

You get more sessions for your money with Iamplify but it's a different approach and Matthew Reyes's style is quite different to the Motiontraxx coaches. Music is different too.

I'm using them based on what I fancy and how I feel and really enjoy them. Some reviews do moan about the amount of talking' but then they are meant to be coached, and I find that really helpful.

Hope that helps.

Also thank you tsimblist for your recommendation will definitely take a look.