Any women in their 50s who have started PRT?

Options
For motivation and support, I would love to hear about any woman in her 50s who has managed to start and maintain a progressive resistance training (weight lifting) regime. Before and after photos welcome!

Replies

• keatsgeckos
    Options
    Hi,

I turned 50 last October and starting lifting weights for the first time in late March. Working with a personal trainer helped a lot. My body can handle this and in fact it's a really good idea for us gals over 50 to lift weights to help balance out the potential for bone loss. (In fact my parter, who is 49 and was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis is lifting as part of her program).

I'm finding the key with weights is to achieve good form with good weight*. By that I mean to lift without breaking form and struggling the weight I am capable of for at least 12-15 reps. I will usually start out with a warm up set at a lower weight to check my form and then increase the weight.

*good weight should be heavy. A weight is too light if you can maintain form, there's only slight resistance and the last few reps are not effortful

Initially I worried my older body, joints etc could not handle this. However, 4 months later I look back and it was my fitness level not my age that slowed me done. So jump in as long as your doctor says it's ok. Do think about a trainer to get you started. Lifting wrong is pretty useless and could lead to injury.

Hope this helps.
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great to hear about your experience.