Not enough sleep last night, should I nap?

Options
I didn't get NEARLY enough sleep last night (like 3-4 hours), and I am exhausted!! I worked out this morning and ate, etc, and I was wondering what your guys' thoughts are on napping. Should I nap to "catch up" on sleep or just push through my day?

Thoughts?

Oh, and IF SO, how long do you believe a healthy nap is?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Please, I sleep every chance I get. If I am home with nothing to do, chances are I will take a nap. I should also mention that I sleep 8 hours a night and have no kids. I just love sleep.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I actually was told by a teacher once that you can't actually catch up on sleep. If I only got that much sleep, though, and was extremely tired, I'd take a nap, even for just an hour.
  • schmackem1
    Options
    I guess it is ok as long as you are not a pilot..lol. Naps are good to rejuvenate. I would definitely say no more than 1 hour. I take cat naps...sometimes just 15 minutes....Just my two cents.
  • ivinzi
    ivinzi Posts: 10
    Options
    Literally in the exact same position as you. i couldn't sleep last night woke up did a 30 minute cardio and ate. Afyer that i was completely exhausted and took a 2 hourish nap maybe a bit less i feel alright now. You should try the same. Sleep is very important for your bodily functions and metabolism.
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the same thing--sleep isn't like putting money in the bank. You can't make up for deficits. However, if you are tired, I believe your body is telling you it needs rest--so I'd nap. I often do--and as long as I don't sleep for over 2 hours, I'm fine. If I take a nap that is longer than 2 hours, I have a really hard time waking up the rest of the day. I think I read in some magazine that the shorter naps are the better. But who really knows--so I'd go with what your body is telling you it needs.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Naps are always a good choice, unless you take them so late that they keep you from real sleep.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't get NEARLY enough sleep last night (like 3-4 hours), and I am exhausted!! I worked out this morning and ate, etc, and I was wondering what your guys' thoughts are on napping. Should I nap to "catch up" on sleep or just push through my day?

Thoughts?

Do you have time to take a nap? Whats on your schedule? Rest is rarely a bad thing
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... And if I don't take a nap on my lunch break, I'm afraid I will face plant my keyboard. I am training this afternoon and I need to be sharp and composed. I don't think I would be helpful in my current state.
    So YES, nap for a bit. Don't overdo it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Naps are always good when you have to time. I think I will take one at lunch time :yawn:
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes if you didnt get enough sleep a nap will be very benificial to yourself and to your body. Ive read it is possible to catch up on rest on other days, me for example often work nights were sometimes i only get 5 hours sleep during the day, but when im off nights will often sleep 10-12 hours to catch up on what ive missed.

But Yes nap away :)
  • tarashley13
    tarashley13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Do you have time to take a nap? Whats on your schedule? Rest is rarely a bad thing

Today is pretty clear day. Just working out again tonight. No work. So the simple answer is, "yes."
  • tarashley13
    tarashley13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the feedback!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want. I'm sorry I may be missing the point but how is this related to diet and weight loss? I just find it strange that you are asking if you should take a nap in a forum...

I am not trying to offend you OP I just find it unusual.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I nap in my lunch hour quite often as i have 2 jobs, it does help. you want to get a light sleep rather than go into deep sleep and then wake up in that because that will leave you more tired. 1 hr max, set an alarm and have a coffe or something when you wake up. it takes about 20 mins after waking to feel the benefits of a nap
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love naps.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you're still awake...

Naps are good. Yes, take a nap. As others have said, I wouldn't do more than an hour though, as you might have a hard tine getting back to sleep this evening.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't nap even if I'm exhausted. I always seem to wake up more tired and feeling worse than I did before. I drink a cup of coffee, stay busy and go to bed early that night.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    oh i LOVE naps! i love to nap. i would nap every day if i could but that's not always possible.
    sometimes i will sleep for 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. depends on the day and the weather!
    last sunday, golf was on t.v. very low volume, storm outside, i napped on the couch for 2 hours! aweeeesome!!! :smile:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I love to nap :love:

If you feel you need it then go ahead, but try to not take it too late so it prevents you to sleep at your normal time and also maybe put an alarm so you don't over sleep :)