phentermine/topomax

Options
So I went to the doctor for a check up and she wrote me a prescription for phentermine/topomax for weight loss. I am about 25 pounds overweight. I have never ever been one to take any meds because I figure them cheating. But... lately with falling off the weight loss wagon yet again I am considering it. Please don't beat me up.:blushing: I was just wondering if anyone has had long term success with these two drugs.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you seem to have some hesitation in asking about it tells you what you should do. It's not a fix-all med. The drug doesn't do anything that you can't do for yourself.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't take these and have no personal experience with them; however, that said, 2 of the girls where I work see a Doctor who prescribes the first one and each has had success and kept the weight off for a long period- together with the carb & protein recommendations that they must follow and lifestyle & food choice changes. They said it helps curb their appetites. I considered joining them; however, wanted to give the "natural" method a concerted effort first for the same reason you state and I want to make better choices for a LIFETIME! If it helps you and is okay with your primary care provider, then I say, what works for you is your choice.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you seem to have some hesitation in asking about it tells you what you should do. It's not a fix-all med. The drug doesn't do anything that you can't do for yourself.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. I do have hesitation. but only because I feel like its a cop out way to quick weight loss which I have always hated. Thanx for your input
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this without drugs.

Track your food, stick to a reasonable deficit, exercise if you are so inclined, and the weight WILL drop.

Living a healthy lifestyle has no adverse side effects :flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Topomax?! That is an anti seizure medication that's traditionally prescribed for migraines. Weight loss is one of the side effects, along with hairloss, lethargy, depression, blindness, irregular heartbeat, etc.... You should look up the rest of the side effects. I have chronic migraines and that is the one medication I refuse to take. I can't believe your doctor gave that (along with phentermine) to you to lose 25 pounds! What a quack.....

You only have 25 pounds to lose...why poison yourself for it?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you were very overweight and it was causing major health problems... MAYBE.

Not for 25 pounds. :noway:
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Drugging through it or not is a personal choice - it sounds to me like you'd rather not.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I took phentermine and while it had a weight loss effect, it didn't last. Most drs only allow you to take it for 3 months at a time and require monthly visits for blood pressure monitoring as it can cause heart issues. I can honestly say that while it was nice to have the appetite suppressant, it doesn't help you long term... you have to figure out how to fuel your body and live with your new lifestyle, not suppress the hunger for x amount of time just to drop the weight. Not long ago I thought about asking for them again just because I felt I was at my wits end. I'm glad I didn't because I'm finally learning to eat for MY body and make permanent changes in my lifestyle (eating habits and exercise). I think your hesitation is warranted... think long and hard before jumping on the pill bandwagon.
  • jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    I used to take Topomax for migraines. Sometimes you would see a weight loss with taking it, but not significant. Although this really helped my migraines, the side effects of blurred vision and strange tremors were enough for me to get swtiched to a new migraine medication. It really bothers me when doctors prescribe medications for weight loss when they are already seriously risky for more serious issues. Avoid it.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So I went to the doctor for a check up and she wrote me a prescription for phentermine/topomax for weight loss. I am about 25 pounds overweight. I have never ever been one to take any meds because I figure them cheating. But... lately with falling off the weight loss wagon yet again I am considering it. Please don't beat me up.:blushing: I was just wondering if anyone has had long term success with these two drugs.

So, did your doctor write you 2 separate prescriptions? One for Adipex and one for Topamax?
    Or did she write you a prescription for Qsymia (which is a phentermine/topiramate combo)?

The reason I ask is because Qsymia is FDA approved, but it is still patented for about 5 more years. There have been a few cases lately in which physicians have discovered that 2 of the primary active ingredients in Qsymia are Phentermine and Topiramate, so they (for whatever delusional reason) have taken it upon themselves to prescribe this 2-drug cocktail, even though it is not the same as the actual Qsymia pill.

By the way, I'm not promoting Qsymia in any way whatsoever. I'm just pointing out the difference between a physician prescribing an FDA approved pill and writing out a few prescriptions for other medications just because they happen to be present in that pill.

A second concern I would have is that you are only 25 pounds overweight, which I don't really think could place your BMI within a range high enough to warrant a physician prescribing weight loss medication. Typically your BMI is suppose to be above 30 to warrant this type of medication regiment.

My advice to anyone contemplating taking any medication is to educate yourself. Learn as much as you can about what these pills are and do, before putting them in your body. Not only the basic info from the internet, but dig into recent scholarly articles that discuss blind studies. You have plenty of time to educate yourself. This isn't a life saving medicine that must be administered immediately.
    On a more personal level, I'd also advise reevaluating your physician's competency and/or level of patient involvement. (For the reasons I stated above about drug combos and BMI.) Ask numerous questions and stay in the position of power regarding your healthcare. She is there to provide you with a service and she has an ethical and legal responsibility to do so in a safe manner.

We're rooting for you. You can lose this weight regardless of the decision you make about these pills.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

So, did your doctor write you 2 separate prescriptions? One for Adipex and one for Topamax?
    Or did she write you a prescription for Qsymia (which is a phentermine/topiramate combo)?

The reason I ask is because Qsymia is FDA approved, but it is still patented for about 5 more years. There have been a few cases lately in which physicians have discovered that 2 of the primary active ingredients in Qsymia are Phentermine and Topiramate, so they (for whatever delusional reason) have taken it upon themselves to prescribe this 2-drug cocktail, even though it is not the same as the actual Qsymia pill.

By the way, I'm not promoting Qsymia in any way whatsoever. I'm just pointing out the difference between a physician prescribing an FDA approved pill and writing out a few prescriptions for other medications just because they happen to be present in that pill.

If you've been prescribed the patented, name brand formula, ask your doctor point blank when he/she last spoke to the pharma rep for that product, and if he/she is getting any sort of kickback. If you see any hesitation, RUN! (Well, ask more questions, listen to the sales pitch for fun, then run!)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Topomax?! That is an anti seizure medication that's traditionally prescribed for migraines. Weight loss is one of the side effects, along with hairloss, lethargy, depression, blindness, irregular heartbeat, etc.... You should look up the rest of the side effects. I have chronic migraines and that is the one medication I refuse to take. I can't believe your doctor gave that (along with phentermine) to you to lose 25 pounds! What a quack.....

this this this!!!! Also, its nickname is "Dopamax" for a reason. Makes you flat out stupid. I was a wreck when I took Topamax, won't ever take it again.
  • ChgingMe
    Options

A second concern I would have is that you are only 25 pounds overweight, which I don't really think could place your BMI within a range high enough to warrant a physician prescribing weight loss medication. Typically your BMI is suppose to be above 30 to warrant this type of medication regiment.

My advice to anyone contemplating taking any medication is to educate yourself. Learn as much as you can about what these pills are and do, before putting them in your body. Not only the basic info from the internet, but dig into recent scholarly articles that discuss blind studies. You have plenty of time to educate yourself. This isn't a life saving medicine that must be administered immediately.
    On a more personal level, I'd also advise reevaluating your physician's competency and/or level of patient involvement. (For the reasons I stated above about drug combos and BMI.) Ask numerous questions and stay in the position of power regarding your healthcare. She is there to provide you with a service and she has an ethical and legal responsibility to do so in a safe manner.

We're rooting for you. You can lose this weight regardless of the decision you make about these pills.

Thank you for your kind words.. She prescribed them seperately. the topomax and the phetermine. My bmi is 30. Before everyone starts on me. Yes that is obese and I am but losing 25-30 pounds is really all I need as I am currently wearing size 10. Ive had this discussion before and have taken the wrath of people who say I am in denial.. My problem is my middle. I have too much belly as most of us do. The BMI gives me 30 so that is what she is seeing. I really don't want to go down the obese path again, based off the bmi. But my guess is that is why she prescribed them for me. Thank you again for your kind words.
  • ChgingMe
    Options

If you've been prescribed the patented, name brand formula, ask your doctor point blank when he/she last spoke to the pharma rep for that product, and if he/she is getting any sort of kickback. If you see any hesitation, RUN! (Well, ask more questions, listen to the sales pitch for fun, then run!)

Its funny you ask that. She was saying how so many of her patients love it and are having great success so my guess is she is prescribing it for a lot of her patients. I'm gonna listen to my gut and get back on the exercise tip and do this myself. I can't even believe I entertained this foolishness. Thanx everyone.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Thank you for your kind words.. She prescribed them seperately. the topomax and the phetermine. My bmi is 30. Before everyone starts on me. Yes that is obese and I am but losing 25-30 pounds is really all I need as I am currently wearing size 10. Ive had this discussion before and have taken the wrath of people who say I am in denial.. My problem is my middle. I have too much belly as most of us do. The BMI gives me 30 so that is what she is seeing. I really don't want to go down the obese path again, based off the bmi. But my guess is that is why she prescribed them for me. Thank you again for your kind words.

When I started 5 months ago, my BMI was 29. That puts me one away from being obese. I don't think I look obese, nor would I need to take medicine to lose the weight. But I am 5'2 and weighed 157. BMI is horrible for some because I am still considered overweight at my current stage. Being short doesn't do me any favors. I don't really put a lot of faith in dr's that use BMI as a guide. It's not a good tool.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Topomax?! That is an anti seizure medication that's traditionally prescribed for migraines. Weight loss is one of the side effects,

This^ I took it for migraines for a little while but I did not see the side effect of weight loss. All it did was make stuff taste wrong. I didn't like how I felt on it and it didn't really help with the headaches so I didn't stay on it long.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just say no to drugs, OP.

Say No.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Its funny you ask that. She was saying how so many of her patients love it and are having great success so my guess is she is prescribing it for a lot of her patients. I'm gonna listen to my gut and get back on the exercise tip and do this myself. I can't even believe I entertained this foolishness. Thanx everyone.

Good choice.
  • Luwright321
    Luwright321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Agreed! I have seizures and my neurologist wanted me to try Topomax because she thought it was better than the current meds I was on. Since one of the side effects is weight loss and I was trying to lose weight I agreed to try it. As a seizure med it was no better than my old med but did help me lose weight. The bad thing though is that the depression side effect also kicked it. I was a total mess! Mood swings, crying fits constantly!! I told the Dr. no more! Taking the chance of this side effect to lose a few pounds is just not worth it. If you want my opinion here it is: DON'T TAKE IT!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This thread just continues to cement for me that BMI is utter garbage.

Size 10 is not obese.