Learning not to trust the scale...Its an evil box!

Options
melissan84
melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
I had a blog post but my daughter got to my computer and accidentally deleted it. :( Thanks for everyone that commented. So here goes putting it on the success thread for the first time. Please be kind!

This is me before at my highest weight 171.5 lbs and of course now! Edited to add: I am 5'1 So I am definitely short with big hips and thighs.

I am like your typical girl here. I was skinny fat in high school 115-125 lbs till the last year of high school due to stress I got up to 135 lbs. I then had my son and I stayed around 145 lbs. Then after having my daughter, I went up 188 lbs pregnant with her. I managed to lose some baby weight and get to 171.5 lbs. Its been a slow progress these last 1.5 years but here I am now 139 lbs and I am loving my body again. I feel so much better in my own skin ad I certainly feel better than I did before.

So you can do it. Work it and don't look back and do it the right way. No magic pills, no diets, no anything and I still eat what I want in moderation.I don't believe in diets but just hard work. I DO NOT deny myself food. :wink: I have done the 30 Day Shred (everyone starts somewhere :blushing: ), Insanity and Asylum, weight lifting here and there and now T25.

PicsArt_1374848967966_zps15499f3d.jpg

Copied from my blog:

I will admit, I step on the scale first thing in the morning. Actually, the truth, I am obsessed and I weigh myself several times a day. Why? I simply do not know why, I guess to torture myself. LMAO
So yesterday, I went to eat at my in-laws house because husband's grandparents were in town. First thing out of their mouths, you look like a Barbie. lol I was like "oh Thanks!" Last time they saw me was around March. Since then I have maybe lost 5-8 lbs. Grandma asked me if I was back to 115-120 lbs when I met their grandson.
I chuckled and I said no way, I wish. Both of them said well we saw a picture the other day of you and you look skinnier now. I was still in denial. There was no way. So this morning, I started browsing around my photo album. And to my surprise, they were right. I am in better shape now then I was in high school even at a lower weight after having two kids. Soif I can do it so can You!
So I am here to motivate others, to get off that scale and trust pictures and that tape measure. The scale does not measure your fat nor muscle. So keep moving and exercising. Do it the right way and fuel your body. MFP has changed my life forever.

Sorry for the blurry before pictures. They are pictures of pictures.:laugh:

This was my senior year of high school. I was 123 lbs. And I am now 139 lbs. Wearing the same exact shorts.
PicsArt_1374845508356_zps3806fbe5.jpg

This next one was at the end of high school where I ate pretty bad and gained some weight. I was 135 lbs here. The right was me, a few days ago, also 139 lbs.
081a9d70-15be-484a-9a54-921c7d3c7b59_zpsfa28f4ab.jpg

I put this one up a week or so on my profile but its still shocking to see. This was after my son was born and I was 145 lbs here. I remember seeing this picture and stepping on scale right after this vacation. I was disgusted. Well I am wearing the same shorts at 139 lbs. Only 6 lb difference.
PicsArt_1373893699580-1_zps42460b75.jpg

This next one was last year around this time. I weigh 141 lbs then and now 139lbs. In my opinion very big difference. Especially in my face for just 2 lb difference.
3894aa4e-043e-41bc-8bde-4e7f519e53d0_zpsb25262c2.jpg

So stop trusting the scale and trust the mirror, pictures, and clothing and those measurements. Because the scale is evil and its a LIAR!!!
I am by no means done yet. It has only began. But for the first time, I don't want to be a specific goal weight but just be the best I can be. This isn't just about weight loss but lifestyle!

Replies

• SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Those are seriously awesome results! Way to go!!
  • ketomama34
    ketomama34 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am a shorty also (5'1) and agree 100% with you. The scale is very inaccurate so I measure to track my progress. Your pics are very inspiring. Great job!
  • crysta1000
    crysta1000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow great job! Very inspiring. I am so guilty of weighing in everyday...lol I just cant help it. I was feeling a bit down today after seeing the scale not budge after a week. But I have to remember that numbers don't matter, it's all about inches. I'm glad I found your post today!

I will not let the evil box get to me...lol
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! That is awesome!!! I so needed to read this today. Great job!
  • ronnyofdawn
    ronnyofdawn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You look great and it is an amazing post! Plus we have to remember that 5lb of fat is bigger than 5lb of muscle, so you look smaller weighting the same.
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your last two pictures really help make your point. Your hips are soooo much slimmer. Congrats - you look great!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Congratulations on all your hard work. I've definitely learned that the scale is an evil liar and to not worry too much about the number.
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    Thanks for this post. It is really encouraging because currently I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was last year, but I am fitting better in the same clothes. I am learning to trust pics and clothes and toss the scale. That way, I can just keep going and not get thrown off by a silly number. You look great! Congratulations on your progess.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Such an inspirational post Melissa! You look absolutely fantastic. Your progress and dedication to fitness is so so motivating and I am very happy to have you as one of my closest friends here on MFP! I love following your progress and you work so hard and it really shows!! I am slowly starting to learn how to ignore the scale and go with how I feel and how I look and much of it is thanks to you! Keep up the excellent work, I'm so excited to see you reach all of your goals :)

Congratulations! You look AMAZING. Keep it up girl xoxo <3
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You're soo right, it is an evil box :) Thanks for sharing your pictures. You look great!!! Congrats on your new hot body! :)
    I think we all need to remember that it's not all about the number on the scale.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Love this. :heart: :drinker:
  • nle2
    nle2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love this post! The pics are inspiring and it truly shows that the evil box (scale) isn't everything! Great work lady, you look amazing!! :D
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What a great post! Thank you!!!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    great job. just shows you how big a difference muscle make! They definitely give you more wiggle room. Now i feel bad about never exercising.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    Amazing, great job! Thanks for posting these, I love seeing progress pics! I love how you added the ones where you weigh nearly the same but look totally different, it's important we remind ourselves of this!!! Goal weights are just a ball park. :)
  • shannonmch
    shannonmch Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! You are so right!!!! The scale is a tool of the devil! LOL
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First Congrats - you look amazing! The results are in the pictures for sure!
    I too really, really needed to see/read this today. Last Monday I was taken off my HBP meds that included a diuretic (was on for almost a year) and I weighed in on the scale at 186.4 on Friday. However, every day this week the scale has gone up ! It is currently reading 192.6! I have been feeling very, very discouraged and sad because of all the hard work it takes to stay within your calories and get to the gym, etc, etc. I have been telling my friends it's been a lot easier to get here than I *Thought* it would be when I was at my all time high of 216... but it is work and I have been feeling upset about this scale movement... My boyfriend tells me to relax because I look great and one of my NSV's recently (besides coming off the meds) was that I am fitting into the size 12's that were in the back of the closet. Anyway - long story short.. the clothes still fit (some of them even more loosely) and my waist has not increased in size, so I just have to learn to ditch the scale!!!
    Thank you for the inspiration!
  • melissan84
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • melissan84
    Options
    Such an inspirational post Melissa! You look absolutely fantastic. Your progress and dedication to fitness is so so motivating and I am very happy to have you as one of my closest friends here on MFP! I love following your progress and you work so hard and it really shows!! I am slowly starting to learn how to ignore the scale and go with how I feel and how I look and much of it is thanks to you! Keep up the excellent work, I'm so excited to see you reach all of your goals :)

Congratulations! You look AMAZING. Keep it up girl xoxo <3

Love ya Quel. Thanks for continuous support.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!