I fell off the wagon!

Options
Well, for the last two weeks I have been in total denial. I have not been to curves to work out (until today) and I have eaten and drank any and everything I could. I know I have gained but I am too scared to get near the scale. I almost want to just give up and say I can't do it. This is my first diet ever and I have only lost one pound and probably gained that and some back. When I started I thought 15 pounds would be so easy to drop cause I have never had a weight problem. But I must say this is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am not winning this war. I started in August and it is the end of January. The only thing that I have done is bring myself down knowing I can't do it. How do you people do this day after day? I have even began to say I can accept being an overweight thirtyseven year old and join the millions of other overweight people. It has been very depressing and killed what self-esteem I did have. I am 5 8 and weigh (did weigh two weeks ago) 145 and that really does not sound bad but all the weight is in my middle. I have heard stress makes you gain in the middle. HELP..... I count calories and usually am at or just a little over my allowed. I usually workout three or more days a week. What am I doing wrong? I am so jealous of those people that have lost forty and fifty pounds. I sometimes think it is easier to drop weight the more you need to drop. But that is just me making excuses again. I just would like to drop at least ten.....

Replies

• salterdsalter2
    Options
    Well, for the last two weeks I have been in total denial. I have not been to curves to work out (until today) and I have eaten and drank any and everything I could. I know I have gained but I am too scared to get near the scale. I almost want to just give up and say I can't do it. This is my first diet ever and I have only lost one pound and probably gained that and some back. When I started I thought 15 pounds would be so easy to drop cause I have never had a weight problem. But I must say this is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am not winning this war. I started in August and it is the end of January. The only thing that I have done is bring myself down knowing I can't do it. How do you people do this day after day? I have even began to say I can accept being an overweight thirtyseven year old and join the millions of other overweight people. It has been very depressing and killed what self-esteem I did have. I am 5 8 and weigh (did weigh two weeks ago) 145 and that really does not sound bad but all the weight is in my middle. I have heard stress makes you gain in the middle. HELP..... I count calories and usually am at or just a little over my allowed. I usually workout three or more days a week. What am I doing wrong? I am so jealous of those people that have lost forty and fifty pounds. I sometimes think it is easier to drop weight the more you need to drop. But that is just me making excuses again. I just would like to drop at least ten.....
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hey there! First, take a deep breath. Okay, now another. The worst thing you can do right now is beat yourself up. It's the holidays, most of us have slipped up at some point. Also, you said you were back at Curves today so that is GREAT. Afraid of the scale??? Skip it for a couple of weeks until you are into your routine again. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • erkuhns79
    Options
    Oh please do not become one of those millions of overweight people that have just given up! That just adds to the pandemic of unhealthy lifestyles.

I have come to realize that adapting a healthy lifestyle is a major change and not something that can be mastered overnight. It takes time and more importantly, patience. It's understandable (esp this time of year) that you will fall of the wagon...it's how often you fall off that wagon & how you handle it is what's important. At least you realize that you have slipped. And, as easy as you fall off its just as easy as getting back on. Every day is a new journey where you can begin again.

I don't always lose weight...and sometimes I even gain. But as long as I know I'm trying and that I'm conscious of my actions, then I know I'll be ok.

The best thing I do to get through my day without overeating (or at least not binging on unhealthy foods): I pack plenty of healthy snacks to munch on throughout the day. There are some days where I just constantly have to have something in my mouth...on those days, I might drink hot tea or chew minty gum. And for those days that you might slip up...that's ok! We all do it. It won't completely kill your diet to splurge once in a great while.

It took me almost a year to adapt to a new healthy lifestyle that I can actually stick to. And you can do it too!

I'm 5'7" and weigh 142 lbs. I wear a size 8 and am ok with that. But I carry my weight differently then you probably do. Don't let anyone tell you that you "don't need to lose weigh." Only you understand how you really feel.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Tiffany
    Options
    I also primarily gain weight in my middle. Think about what you are trying to achieve, less weight or a flat stomach. When I first tackled trying to lose weight 5 years ago I started lifting free weights at home every day for 6 weeks for 1 hour in the morning. I didn't lose a ton of weight (I went from 118 to 107 pounds) However, I lost 3 sizes in this 6 weeks. Much of the weight I lost was in my belly. I didn't realize you have to have muscular arms and legs to get a flat stomach.

Add this in, track your calories and do 3- 10 minute aerobic spurts throughout the day. I find the best way not to get discouraged is to tackle the problem full force. This way you see big results and don't want to quit. Let me know how you do.

By the way, 5 years later I packed on 5 pounds this year from poor eating choices with co-workers at lunch. This was very discouraging because I work out 7 days a week. However, once I started logging calories, I couldn't believe how many calories I was eating at lunch. I started December 4th and lost the 5 pounds I gained. This was very motivating. I still want to lose 2 more pounds and I haven't lost any more weight this week which is discouraging. I am still going to hang in there. At least I am 5 pounds lighter than I was in the beginning of Dec. Remember have high goals so you see immediate results.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN, YOU CAN, YOU CAN! Keep telling yourself that you can! I think we've all had the, "I can't do it...it's too hard," thoughts, but don't let yourself believe it. It's okay to fall off the wagon! I haven't been to Curves in a week and a half and have completely overindulged. If you're afraid to get on the scale, then don't! I'm going to wait until the beginning of February so that I don't have to see the gain, fluctuations, or plateaus. Keep on doing what you're doing! Count your calories, work out, and remember that all of us are here for you whenever you need a boost! Giving up is easy but continuing down a hard path is worth every second you spend because, when you're done, you can look back and see the great things that you overcame and know that what you accomplished was worth it!
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi, try not to let this keep you down. Maybe it might help if you consulted a trainer at your local gym. Also you may want to check what times you are eating. For instance eating a meal just before bedtime is not usually a good thing.

But whatever you do keep logging your food and exercise and come back here for support.:flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    First stop beating up on yourself and saying you can’t because you can. Now put your arms around yourself and give yourself a big hug and say to yourself “I can and will do this”. Feel how much you want to lose the weight…own it and do it. You can do this. I do this and it helps me.
    I am not telling you about my weight loss make you jealous but to let you know what I know to be a fact.
    I have lost 171 pounds. The larger someone is the faster they lose weight because it takes more to maintain their weight. The last few pounds are the hardest to lose because we are not as large as we were in the beginning and it takes less calories to maintain our weigh as it did in the beginning.
    You said you only want to lose 10 pounds so you are in the same boat as people trying to lose the last few pounds. You and I are alike in this respect. I only need to lose a few pounds now. I am not sure right now how much I need to lose because I did allow myself to eat with my family and I did eat A LOT of things that were high in calories. I enjoyed my holiday with my family for five days straight. YIKES! :noway: As soon as the last family get together was over I went right back to my diet.
    I am not even going to weigh myself till next week.
    We all have bad days even bad weeks and sometimes longer. This is a really tough time of year to stick to our diets and we do get discouraged about what we sometimes eat. But the holiday is over and now we can now get back to what we know we need to do and we will do it. Hang in there hun you can do this. Together we can do thing. Always remember we are here for you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • salterdsalter2
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful words to encourage... Today is a new day and I need to put my big girl panties on and get to it!! No more complaining! I think I will just avoid the scale until Feb. and go from there. Besides, it is not about the pounds but how I look so if I can look good and 145, so be it!! Thanks again..
  • noogiep
    Options
    I will keep you in my prayers. Take one day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself. I have completed many challenges in my life, but I would say, by far, this is the most difficult. Good luck!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Just because you fell off the wagon for awhile doesn't mean you can't get right back on. You have NOT FAILED as long as you pick yourself up and go right on. Perseverence will win this thing...it may not go as fast as you want it to, but if you hang in there, you'll win. Good luck
    Cowboy
  • jessjess
    Options
    We all fall off of the wagon. In fact...I did yesterday (lots and lots of candy). The difference is, you recognize it and are going to get back on track. And so am I.

Let's keep logging in our food/exercise and check in with our progress every now and then. One day at a time.

-Jess
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I have heard stress makes you gain in the middle.

I'm not sure this is true.
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fallen off many times in the past. Take a deep breath like everyone said. Ok now get back to working out and getting fit. It happens. dont give up. Get back on the horse . If I can fail a million times and finally get this right you can as well. DONT GIVE UP KEEP FIGHTING
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

If stress makes you eat and you eat over your calories then by default - stress makes you gain. Whether or not it is "in the middle" is dictated by genetics.

Not a scientist, but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :drinker:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

If stress makes you eat and you eat over your calories then by default - stress makes you gain. Whether or not it is "in the middle" is dictated by genetics.

Not a scientist, but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :drinker:

This.
    Also, OP... hang in there. We all have set backs from time to time
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes stress has physiological actions on your body, for some this triggers weight gain through "stress hormones, emotional eating etc...". Also exercise helps to reduce stress.

I was frightened to weigh myself when I knew I had gained - for me it took me some time to realise until I faced the number I would not truly commit to reducing it. The key is to try to remove the emotion from the number (easy to say not so easy to do) - guess what you weigh what you weigh - whether you measure it or become aware of it or not.

I think you will appreciate the whole story when you reflect later on to know what you really accomplished I pegged my highest weight at 255 lbs but because I did not have the fortitude to weigh my highest weight I expect that this was actually closer to 264lbs - I will never really know. Even though I gained back over the last few years I have never reached that weight again and I have now refocused on the importance of my health I can use my experience from the past that I can get back to the weight I want to be.

I encourage you to learn from the past not live in the past draw a line in the sand each day and aim to stick to a plan - You are here to win the war not the battle, there will always be set backs and challenges, there will also be great victories. As long as you live to fight another day - fight on pulling on the strength from the past and learning from the times you hoped you could have done better. "Easy" no "rewarding" absolutely!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Almost seven years old... Is this a new record for zombie threads?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Muahahahaha!!!! :bigsmile: :devil:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

And the reward goes to DamePiglet for Resurrection the Oldest Thread She Could Find!! ::applause, applause:: (sorry, i'm at work and cannot pull up a gif, LOL!!!!

• DamePiglet
    Options

And the reward goes to DamePiglet for Resurrection the Oldest Thread She Could Find!! ::applause, applause:: (sorry, i'm at work and cannot pull up a gif, LOL!!!!

Thank you! Thank you!
    troll-award.png