Piriformus Syndrone -- anyone dealt with this?

Options
I am pretty sure that is what is going on with my glute. I have had all the testing and waiting on the results, but I read every article I could find on this and I am pretty certain it is the cause of my pain. I have not fallen, so I don't believe it was caused by an injury. I thinkI just aggrevated it with lots of walking uphill and then adding some jogging.

I also work out on weights and I found exercises to help (stretching/yoga) but I can't find exercises NOT to do.

Hope someone out there has dealt with this and has some insight. Thanks

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    sorry I cant help but bumping this to keep it going.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did. I found some great videos on youtube that showed some stretches. I started doing them and no more issues.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend seeking out a Massage Therapist, preferably one that has experience with Myofascial release.

"Inactive gluteal muscles also facilitate development of the syndrome.[citation needed] These are important in both hip extension and in aiding the piriformis in external rotation of the femur. A major cause for inactive gluteals is unwanted reciprocal inhibition from overactive hip flexors (psoas major, iliacus, and rectus femoris). This imbalance usually occurs where the hip flexors have been trained to be too short and tight, such as when someone sits with hips flexed, as in sitting all day at work. This deprives the gluteals of activation, and the synergists to the gluteals (hamstrings, adductor magnus, and piriformis) then have to perform extra roles they have not evolved to do. Resulting hypertrophy of the piriformis then produces the typical symptoms.

Overuse injury resulting in piriformis syndrome can result from activities performed in the sitting position that involves strenuous use of the legs as in rowing/sculling and bicycling."

"Runners, bicyclists and other athletes engaging in forward-moving activities are particularly susceptible to developing piriformis syndrome if they do not engage in lateral stretching and strengthening exercises. When not balanced by lateral movement of the legs, repeated forward movements can lead to disproportionately weak hip abductors and tight adductors.[8] Thus, disproportionately weak hip abductors/gluteus medius muscles, combined with very tight adductor muscles, can cause the piriformis muscle to shorten and severely contract. Upon a 40% increase in piriformis size, sciatic nerve impingement is inevitable. This means the abductors on the outside cannot work properly and strain is put on the piriformis.[8]"
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I did. I found some great videos on youtube that showed some stretches. I started doing them and no more issues.

Can you show us the videos?
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I was having some pain in my hip. I started going to a chiropractor who specializes in ART (Active Release Techniques) it has helped A LOT.

Here is a good site to help also:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Regular use of a foam roller and stretching will help a lot.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I suffer from it on and off. Right now is an on time. I plan on not running when I go on vacation to give it a rest. The best thing that helped was to go to physical therapy. Outside of that, I would ice the area and also take a tennis ball and sit on it where the pain radiates from. The tennis ball isn't pleasant, but it helps. I also try to do pilates which helps strengethen your core which is one of the main reason why it happens. Also rest from running and cycling helps. The last time, I took 1 week off did a variety of stretches and pilates and it went away. I don't think I will ever be rid of it, but I can diminish the pain.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    thanks. I bought a foam roller and did a yoga video last nite that stretches lower back and legs (for the first time). I haven't sat on a tennis ball yet--but I been sitting on a square freezer block all day! ha.

Am I going to be able to do squats/lunges? I guess I should not for a week or so and let this heal--but I can't stop working out. The elliptical does not seen to aggrevate the pain so is it okay? I know I can just swim more, but I hope to do elliptical too.

I also assume I can still do all my upper body weights and machines???
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from the elliptical. Also squats won't help it. Swimming is fine. I really had to take a week off. I was never more happy to be able to run without pain. If you don't rest, it will only persist and be a nagging pain in the rear.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was effectively crippled by this from November 2011 until May 2012. I actually had been given the stretches, but until I added massage therapy, the stretches hurt so much I was afraid to do them.

A very brief course of massage therapy revealed that yes, I could take steps without pain, and yes, doing the stretches, and rolling my leg from above and below my knee did cause the muscles to relax and let me walk pain free.

I wish mine had been caused by something enlivenng like outdoor exercise, but unfortunately my initial attack occured after dragging a 35 pound harp up and down a flight of stairs. Lesson learned!

My case was somewhat "enhanced" by concommitant illio-tibial band syndrome, but the neat thing was that once I'd caught on to getting the piriformus under control, everything was better.

Scubanana, I am THRILLED that you are making progress with this. I am able to address symptoms quickly now, so things never, ever get as bad as the initial episode. After you are relatively symptom free, I'd try adding back activities one at a time to assess your personal tolerance level.

Keep us all informed about your progress!
  • zannestar
    zannestar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a professional diagnosis, and then question it. First doctor told me I had pulled a muscle in my butt (they like to refer to it as "top of leg" - whatever), she gave me a tennis ball, told me to sit on it - then go get a massage. After a few weeks of massage, it got better. But pain returned. Then same doctor told me it was Piriformus, and do these exercises. All good, more massage and new exercises. A few weeks later, I couldn't move. I switched doctors, got a small adjustment and they sent me to a physical therapist. VOILA! Bulging Disc. Pilates for physical therapy for 3 months, massages regularly and now yoga 3-5 times a week and constant exercise (when I stop moving for long periods of time, or slouch I get sore). The bulging disc was putting pressure on a nerve that was electrifying my piriformus, causing unbelievable pain. But almost 18mos after bulging disc diagnosis, I've only had one flare up, but otherwise awesome (and will be much better when I lose even more weight!). Anyway - get a diagnosis - ask loads of questions and I highly recommend Pilates and Yoga. My back and "top of my legs" love me.... but no more running :-(

Good luck, hope the test results reveal something so you can work through it!