Getting started!

Options
I am new to this community and very excited about it. I found it by downloading the app on my cell.

A few days ago I found myself thinking, "What is the use?! I can diet, exercise, eat super healthy, drink tons of water, and in a week, I'll still look and feel exactly the same. I can do it for a month, and I'll still have almost 100 lbs to go." Needless to say, it was a dark moment. I ate a Big Mac that night. I didn't even care, and I thought, no one else cares either.

But then, yesterday, I was again thinking about food and dieting, and I recognized the lies I'd been telling myself. Because, I do care. And my kids care. That is enough to make it worth it. And I recognized that if I really did eat well and exercise that although my physical appearance might not change rapidly, I would feel better. My knees wouldn't creak so much and my energy would increase.

I'm excited about this community, because from what i've read so far on the message boards, it is a highly optimistic and supportive group. I know I will have dark days now and then, but I also know that they won't last.

I am excited to get started with this new plan for my life. I ate a healthy green smoothie (so yummy - spinach, kale, blueberries) for breakfast and that simple action made me feel in control and enthusiastic. I'm excited to meet all of you and support each other. It's time to get started!

Replies

• reojames
    Options
    Hey Kristen! Welcome!

This site is the only tool I've ever found for losing weight that works for me. I know how you feel, by the way, when you talk about discouragement, but I've found a few good friends here that keep me accountable. I've lost 10 pounds in no time since joining here, but before that, I lost 17 pounds, just by watching the calories and walking.

It works! It just takes a little longer to drop the weight than crash diets. The difference is that this site teaches us how to eat properly, so, unlike the crash diets, the weight will stay off!!!

Take care!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Welcome Kristen- I'm newer also and already I've seen a big difference in the way I approach my eating and exercising. you'll get there! And we all care, especially if you post before and after pics! (haha!)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard :)

I LOVE this site. I have always watched what I ate and watched my exercise and such but not the quantity. This site really helps you to stay accountable to YOURSELF and makes you aware of what you are eating.

You don't have to DIET but just eat better. The food data base is HUGE and Wiki in approach so if you find something amiss you can change it !
  • kpronto
    Options
    I know how it feels to eat something from McDonald's and not care about it at all and then flip back to why did I do that. I am looking forward to this site for encouragement....I totally need that sort of thing!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Welcome! In your darkest days there is always a little ray of sunshine that peaks through. I've been there, and I'm conquering it, one day at a time. I started this site in January, but actually started my lifestyle change in December '09 by making a promise to myself for myself: the way I figured, is if I break a promise to myself then that is really sinking to new lows! I promised I will workout 5-6 days p/wk for at least 45-50 mins each: I wake up early every work-day morniing and even start my day on days off by working out. While I watch what I eat, I decided at my age it's more important to tone & strengthen than anything else, so that's where my focus has been. I've only lost about 12 lbs since I started, but I've toned and strengthened so much, I fit into clothes I was wearing when I was 10+lbs thinner!

I know that if I can do this, you can too, and you've got your inspiration for yourself & your kids which is great! If you would like, add me as a friend & I will help, support & motivate you to your goal :flowerforyou:
  • scentsykristen
    Options
    Thanks for all your great comments and support! Someone said to post before and after pictures. I will try to find one I like. I do like the profile picture I have, because it's a goal I have met before... and I know I can do it again. It was 60 lbs ago, 4 years ago.

Someone else said they wished we would post our height. I'm 5' 5" if i measure in the morning. I'm just the right height for my 17 year old son to rest his chin on the top of my head when he gives me a hug.

I am going to Mexico in December with my boys, my mom and stepdad, and two of my skinny sisters and their families. I love them so much and they are so amazing, but in some ways it is hard to be around them. I am so excited because we live on opposite sides of the country, and only see each other every 1-2 years. I just want to be more comfortable around them.
  • scentsykristen
    Options
    Okay, I updated my photo. This is current. I'll save my goal picture on my fridge instead of here. And I'll post an even better one down the road when i get there!