Processed Foods Hindering Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Fruits and nuts are carbs and fats.

How is this in any way a good substitute for a protein bar?

Nuts have PROTEIN as well as good fats. And you know, most protein bars also have some fat and carbs as well.

What's wrong with carbs and fats?

Good question.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    A completely random thought from reading the responses here, and because I have nothing more to add than this.

I've been thinking that in some cases eating processed foods DOES hinder weight loss, but not because of anything in them Just because when the person moves to less processed foods they have to spend more time thinking about and preparing, they become more aware of what and how much they're eating and as a result they ingest less calories. Therefore, the switch does help them lose weight, just not necessarily for the reasons they think.

Just my two cents.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A completely random thought from reading the responses here, and because I have nothing more to add than this.

I've been thinking that in some cases eating processed foods DOES hinder weight loss, but not because of anything in them Just because when the person moves to less processed foods they have to spend more time thinking about and preparing, they become more aware of what and how much they're eating and as a result they ingest less calories. Therefore, the switch does help them lose weight, just not necessarily for the reasons they think.

Just my two cents.

Interesting thought (outside the box...I like it). However, wouldn't thinking about food would more be a negative in some situations? I get the 'being more conscious' of the foods, which is probably a good thing when ad lib eating, and may well be beneficial to the OP at weekends for example, however, when you log food, this becomes a little moot and the thinking about food could be detrimental to adherence.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For me personally being once with insulin issues ad all that from carrying an extra 100 lbs for me I never counted when I lost my weight. Tree years ago I came here and counted for a while. I then stopped, last year counted for a while and quit it. Thinking about food too much puts me into a anxiety mode and fear sometimes of.... What am I going to eat sort of thing. So it could mean that counting makes you eat less processed stuff too because you don't want to log pop tarts every day like I do lol and still see awesome progress. Whatever works is what will give you results.
  • RhonndaJ
    Options

Just my two cents.

Interesting thought (outside the box...I like it). However, wouldn't thinking about food would more be a negative in some situations? I get the 'being more conscious' of the foods, which is probably a good thing when ad lib eating, and may well be beneficial to the OP at weekends for example, however, when you log food, this becomes a little moot and the thinking about food could be detrimental to adherence.

I don't think I'm following you on how thinking about food more would be detrimental, unless you're one who leans towards obsessive behaviours, but if that's the case, calorie tracking alone is going to be an issue.

I wasn't thinking of the 'more thought' about what their eating as being a long term strategy, just for the period of change. Once they've gotten the hang of eating less or non processed, then things should become almost second nature, as was eating processed. Just that in the period of change they lowered their intake, so their number stay lower, even through they're relaxed about the focus.
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    For me personally being once with insulin issues ad all that from carrying an extra 100 lbs for me I never counted when I lost my weight. Tree years ago I came here and counted for a while. I then stopped, last year counted for a while and quit it. Thinking about food too much puts me into a anxiety mode and fear sometimes of.... What am I going to eat sort of thing. So it could mean that counting makes you eat less processed stuff too because you don't want to log pop tarts every day like I do lol and still see awesome progress. Whatever works is what will give you results.

Good thought.

I think too often we forget that while physically, for most, it is simply calories in versus calories out, we don't take into consideration the mental aspect of things. Triggers are not always to bad things, sometimes they're to good things.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Good thought.

I think too often we forget that while physically, for most, it is simply calories in versus calories out, we don't take into consideration the mental aspect of things. Triggers are not always to bad things, sometimes they're to good things.

Worry, anxiety and fear can make things worse and make you eat more than you want too. Eating should not be stressful it should be enjoyable.
  • RhonndaJ
    Options

Good thought.

Worry, anxiety and fear can make things worse and make you eat more than you want too. Eating should not be stressful it should be enjoyable.

I agree. But for me, I've had to learn a new version of 'enjoyable', if that makes any sense. Food is, after all, fuel. I've had to learn to find a balance between the pleasure of food and the fuel aspect.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't do a lot of processed food. It totally hinders my weight loss. What about really simple lunches of boiled eggs and fresh raw veggies? I do that a lot and it's super easy.

It's interesting how it is often men that get on these threads and insist, to women, that weight loss is ONLY about calories in and out and that quality of food does not matter at all. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. The body is a complex system with HORMONES and different foods affect those hormones in very different ways. Women often have a more difficult struggle with metabolic issues than men. Most of us have struggled many years believing that it is only calories in/out and willpower only to discover that conventional dieting advice does NOT work, and actually harms our health. But we have to keep hearing "calories in, calories out", and that it's something we did wrong that mere calorie restriction did not work. BS.

Processed food is definitely not for me. When I eat lots of processed foods I cannot control cravings and my health deteriorates. Read the ingredients on the labels. I cannot tolerate wheat, corn, canola, soy, msg, etc and that stuff, one or more, is in almost every food that comes in a package. (I am NOT a special snowflake; many people are sick from their diets and don't have a clue-not their fault when most doctors are clueless on nutrition as well). Food manufacturers spend much time and money on researching how to make their food more desirable (addictive) so that we will eat more and BUY more. No that's not a conspiracy, it's right out in the open.

OP: I would suggest also being concientious of your macro ratio. Dried fruit is killer for me. Sugar is still sugar and dried fruit is an especially dense form of it. I have no problems with RAW, unsalted nuts and they don't stimulate me to over eat. However, roasted and salted nuts DO create cravings. Again, it's the processing and added refined salt (sea salt is fine for me), and added oils such as canola, soy, peanut (I don't eat peanuts-cuz they are not nuts). Don't avoid healthy fats; they are our best friend for health and weight loss.

Edit: even though I think the calories issue is lesser than quality, I do still measure and track my food. For fun, and good practice, I do often estimate a portion by eye and then weigh it. I am extremely accurate with small portions. I find bigger portions harder to judge so I enter all the ingredients in a recipe in MFP and then measure how many cups/servings are in the entire dish.

I have found that for me, a woman with chronic health issues, calories are what matters, not processing and not carbs or sugar. It would have been a shame if I had been convinced when I was new here that I had to cut out carbs and processed foods because I am a woman, since it would likely have resulted in my giving up quickly.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options

A half-cup of almonds gives you 10g of protein, 6g of dietary fiber and lots of calcium, vitamin E and magnesium naturally. it's not processed and has almost zero sodium. Lots of fat, but that's great for your skin and hair. Fruit gives you needed Vitamin C or A.

Personally, I think protein bars taste like dry garbage, so anything is an improvement.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Just my two cents.

I don't think I'm following you on how thinking about food more would be detrimental, unless you're one who leans towards obsessive behaviours, but if that's the case, calorie tracking alone is going to be an issue.

I wasn't thinking of the 'more thought' about what their eating as being a long term strategy, just for the period of change. Once they've gotten the hang of eating less or non processed, then things should become almost second nature, as was eating processed. Just that in the period of change they lowered their intake, so their number stay lower, even through they're relaxed about the focus.

All I meant was that thinking about food can make you want to eat and increase adherence issues.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't do a lot of processed food. It totally hinders my weight loss. What about really simple lunches of boiled eggs and fresh raw veggies? I do that a lot and it's super easy.

It's interesting how it is often men that get on these threads and insist, to women, that weight loss is ONLY about calories in and out and that quality of food does not matter at all. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. The body is a complex system with HORMONES and different foods affect those hormones in very different ways. Women often have a more difficult struggle with metabolic issues than men. Most of us have struggled many years believing that it is only calories in/out and willpower only to discover that conventional dieting advice does NOT work, and actually harms our health. But we have to keep hearing "calories in, calories out", and that it's something we did wrong that mere calorie restriction did not work. BS.

Processed food is definitely not for me. When I eat lots of processed foods I cannot control cravings and my health deteriorates. Read the ingredients on the labels. I cannot tolerate wheat, corn, canola, soy, msg, etc and that stuff, one or more, is in almost every food that comes in a package. (I am NOT a special snowflake; many people are sick from their diets and don't have a clue-not their fault when most doctors are clueless on nutrition as well). Food manufacturers spend much time and money on researching how to make their food more desirable (addictive) so that we will eat more and BUY more. No that's not a conspiracy, it's right out in the open.

OP: I would suggest also being concientious of your macro ratio. Dried fruit is killer for me. Sugar is still sugar and dried fruit is an especially dense form of it. I have no problems with RAW, unsalted nuts and they don't stimulate me to over eat. However, roasted and salted nuts DO create cravings. Again, it's the processing and added refined salt (sea salt is fine for me), and added oils such as canola, soy, peanut (I don't eat peanuts-cuz they are not nuts). Don't avoid healthy fats; they are our best friend for health and weight loss.

Edit: even though I think the calories issue is lesser than quality, I do still measure and track my food. For fun, and good practice, I do often estimate a portion by eye and then weigh it. I am extremely accurate with small portions. I find bigger portions harder to judge so I enter all the ingredients in a recipe in MFP and then measure how many cups/servings are in the entire dish.

Actually, I am a 27 (28 in a couple of weeks) year old woman, with 2 kids, and the only thing I worry about besides my calorie goal, is my protein goal. Everything else is whatever. I mostly eat what I want in moderation, consume on average 2100-2300 calories/day, and I don't care if it is an organic apple, or some cheetos, spinach, or a chili cheese coney from Sonic. A calorie is a calorie to me...period. I have also lost every single one of my 40 lbs. doing it this way, and I don't plan on doing it any other way whether I am actively losing, or in maintenance mode. I also do less than 30 minutes of cardio 3-4 days per week, and lift heavy 6 days per week.
  • RhonndaJ
    Options

Just my two cents.

All I meant was that thinking about food can make you want to eat and increase adherence issues.

Ah... thanks for clarifying. And I'd agree that for some people that could be a problem.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options

Nuts have PROTEIN as well as good fats. And you know, most protein bars also have some fat and carbs as well.

What's wrong with carbs and fats?

Exactly what I thought. That's why I was responding to the comment first quoted. But I was saying that if you think they're bad, fruit and nuts are a balanced thing because they have fats (good ones!) protein, and some (good) carbs. And fiber.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Processed goodies have two things going on that can cause the scale not to budge. assuming someone is accurately tracking all the calories posted on the packaging and keeping those calories tracked within their budget.

The first is that the regulatory folks allow them a fairly wide margin of error and as you can imagine they exploit this to no end. Google this for yourself but last I heard it was 20% of reality. I'm not a math whiz so someone go ahead and check me on this, but I'm pretty sure this means that someone whose goal calories are 1250 and set their loss to half a pound each week could hypothetically not lose squat assuming everyone is gaming the system and barely staying legal. If they're betting on the system and media not actually looking, they could hypothetically gain.

The second is that they're often loaded up with sodium, which is the more benign of two evils unless you're a heart patient or have other reasons to dodge the stuff. Sodium has a legitimate role in the body - it's used to control blood pressure and make sure your nerves and muscles are doing what they're supposed to among other purposes. People getting serious heat exposure need to be aware of how much they take in to make sure they get enough because it's also tied to managing water in the body. Most people are not in this position and will be prone to picking up pounds of water weight, which can mask losses of other stuff like fat. Would it hide six months for someone successfully offloading half a pound of fat each week? No, but it could hide six weeks.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I found processed foods caused my fat-loss to slow, stop and, at times, could even cause me to gain.

I avoid processed foods now & the fat is melting away. I also feel a lot better (energy, less aches & pains, etc). Oh, I don't get cravings for processed foods either and that makes fat loss pretty easy.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I eat all sorts of processed food. doesn't seem to be hindering my weight loss. 86 pounds gone since September seems pretty good...
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    OP, you knew the answer deep down before you asked this question. The reality is that your inconsistent logging is to blame, that logging is a chore and not sexy, and you are looking for a way to have your (unprocessed) cake and eat it too.

Get your food measuring and logging under control, have some patience, and you will see results. It's not exciting, romantic, and won't make you feel at one with the earth and your ancestors, but it WORKS.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

A half-cup of almonds gives you 10g of protein, 6g of dietary fiber and lots of calcium, vitamin E and magnesium naturally. it's not processed and has almost zero sodium. Lots of fat, but that's great for your skin and hair. Fruit gives you needed Vitamin C or A.

Personally, I think protein bars taste like dry garbage, so anything is an improvement.

I notice you left out exactly how much fat relative to the protein.

Nuts are not a good way to get protein while running a calorie deficit unless your tdee is very high.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Funny, I am a 45 year old woman and I agree with them.

Women's struggles with metabolic issues are carb related and not processed food related. And not all women have insulin sensitivity.

I agree with them and with her.

OP, listen to Sara, she helped many people on this board. Good luck
    ^This^