Going over sugar points and frustrated

Options
Anna334
Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
I am having trouble losing weight. II am finding that I still have calorie points left but I use up my sugar points with just half a cup of juice a day. If I want a fruit when Im hungry I can't eat it because of the sugar. I guess going over by 30 points is what is causing me to not lose weight even though I am within calorie range or below. Any thoughts I am a bit frustrated and hungry :(

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the sugar... I don't eat added sugars in the form of table sugar, corn syrup or even honey.... but I STILL can go over just from fruits, milk, and other whole foods. The sugar allotment MFP gives you is a bit WONKY... maybe I could understand it if it was an allotment for ADDED sugars.. meaning candy, cookies or other foods that have sugars added to them but MFP doesn't distinguish
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic, or prediabetic? If no, then I wouldn't be concerned with the sugar.

Also, I believe in eating fruit, not drinking juice. More nutrients in eating the whole fruit (fiber, for instance).

In regards to not losing weight, there's no way to offer valuable advise without more info. Open your diary??
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I don't look at the sugar either. I watch calories first, protein second and fat third. The rest I ignore.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble losing weight. II am finding that I still have calorie points left but I use up my sugar points with just half a cup of juice a day. If I want a fruit when Im hungry I can't eat it because of the sugar. I guess going over by 30 points is what is causing me to not lose weight even though I am within calorie range or below. Any thoughts I am a bit frustrated and hungry :(

This is completely wrong. A caloric surplus causes weight gain, a caloric deficit causes weight loss, period. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar like diabetes, your daily sugar intake is inconsequential. You should be more concerned with not going over your total carb goal as this means you are not getting enough protein or fat, or both. If you're accurately tracking calorie intake, and you're not losing weight, a few things can be happening. You may be overestimating exercise calorie expenditure which is very common. You may be retaining water due to high sodium intake, or high carb intake, or low water consumption. If neither of these is the culprit, then you may need to lower calorie intake, but give it a few weeks before you do that.
  • mmaurizi
    mmaurizi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Dont be scared to eat fruit.

As already said, eat clean, eat natural products, focus on calories first.

Protein is good for muscle

Fat can be OK for you - just keep your saturated fats under control.

Be conscious of low fat products as they often put added sugar or sweeteners to make it palatable.

Try and plan your food out so you know that you are going to get your calorie intake. I.E. dont get to 10pm and you have to eat 400 calories so just go and grab something to eat your calories.

I am at the very start of my journey and I am learning all the time still so just try and remember how far you have come rather than how far you have to go if you are feeling frustrated.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have never watched my sugars. The only macros showing on my food log are Protein, cabs, and fats. I am losing weigh just fine :)
  • buffyfan22
    buffyfan22 Posts: 54
    Options
    Anna, this isn't a "success story". Make sure you post in the correct category.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for sugar = WHO's recommendation for ADDED/REFINED sugar. This is due to people's propensity to guzzle 32 oz sodas like they're water. There is no formal, sanctioned recommendation for natural sugar or total sugar that I'm aware of. As others have stated...unless you are diabetic, insulin resistant, or otherwise insulin sensitive, there is little reason to track sugar if you're not gulping down a 32 oz soda while eating your ice cream topped with gummy worms 3x daily.
  • Anna334
    Options
    Ok not diabetic but I don't have a thyroid due to thyroid cancer which seems to be the main culprit. I have been trying to lose weight before i started using this site and have only lost 9 pounds. The sugars I want to be ble to eat come from fruits not junk food but they add up quickly here. I will give it a couple of more weeks as well as talk to my docs and hopefully I see more progress. Thank you
  • Anna334
    Options
    Oh sorry new to this and did not realize I was posting in the wrong section. :/
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish

almost like sugar is sugar.....:huh:

DIABOLICAL:noway:
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I for one agree with all of the previous statements. I would skip the fruit juices completely especially if they are from concentrate. For myself I am trying to cure my sweet tooth (when I get one) with fruits and not worrying about what the sugar level states on my intake chart as I know it is better than processed sugars. Wishing you the best, so glad you are using the community to get support. Keep up the good work. Take care :wink:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    open up your diary so people can have a better look at what youre up to.

the default setting for sugar is notoriously low

you gots diabeetus?

uh what else....

if youre not losing, it means youre eating more than youre burning

let's see....i think that's it.

tata!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    MFP is probably following WHO guidelines of no more than 10% of total calories coming from sugar.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!