new scale-new weight-need help!!

Options
I have been using a junky old scale since I started this in the beginning of June. I finally just got my new digital scale delivered today and there is a big weight difference. Im talking by 9 lbs and not in my favor. Granted I will re-weigh in the morning since I have already ate a few times today but is there a way I can go back and put in my starting weight at a higher weight? I looked and I am not seeing a way to do this. I am also assuming I need to refigure my TDEE. I kind of feel like I am starting all over. Could I have been sabotaging myself with out knowing it because I thought I weighed something different? I am not seeing or feeling much of a change since I started which maybe that is normal but I am kind of thinking by now something should have changed slightly. I have lost 1 inch from waist but now I am even thinking I probably measured myself wrong in the beginning. I am feeling a bit discouraged and really need some direction and advise.

Thanks so much

Replies

• brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You may weigh something different, but that doesn't mean that the pounds you lost came back. If that makes any sense, and I think you can go to where you put your weight in daily and edit previous weights. I could be wrong on that, but I that's the only way I know.

Good luck!
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    I've done that myself and it's just best to stick with one scale so you know where you're at all the time and not see ups and downs so drastic that it discourages you. As long as you're losing, forget what the number is, because what counts is that the number is going down... :)
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I know you can change your starting weight because I started on this site like a year ago and then came back like 5 months ago and had gained since then. It kept showing I didn't lose as much as I had and it annoyed me so I changed it. I will look back and see how to do it and let you know.
    Don't be discouraged! All scales are different. Just keep weighing on the same one and you will know if you are losing or not. I used to weigh monthly at the dr. Then I bought my own scale. It changes throughout the day, so I have decided I will just count my first weight on Monday morning every week (after going pee of course).
    I don't worry about TDEE. I try to do 1200 plus exercise calories and that's working for me. I go over somedays and am still losing.
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    The same thing happened to me after my first baby (first weight loss) I had lost 7 lbs which would have brought me down from 145 to 138 and then after buying a new scale I was actually 148! I was really frustrated but all that meant was that I had actually started at 155 and went down to 148. It didn't help much because all that it meant was that I was fatter than I had originally thought and had to get down and see the same numbers again, but imagine how discouraging it would have been had I not even been trying and would have been shocked to eventually find out that I was still weighing 155lbs... so it is still a great loss for you no matter what your starting weight was and although it sucks to have to do those same numbers again, at least this time you no FOR SURE where you're at and you won't have to do it for a third time.

Congrats on your loss by the way.
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    Go to home, check in, edit previous entries and delete the old ones and put in what your new scale says. Wait till morning to weigh and do it the same time of day each time.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The reason for the new digital scale is because the old one was hard to read and I always had to move the dial to the 0 before stepping on. I never knew if any ounces were lost (not that is a huge deal but it does help) and it was just very inaccurate all together. I think its a scale from the 80's. It was just time for a new one. I'm thinking that maybe I am not exercising enough and i just need to lower my calorie intake. My food scale just arrived today too so now I can weight things. Maybe that will help too. guess we will see. Thx for the info I will try and find where I can change my starting weight. *sigh :ohwell:
  • coco3382458
    Options
    The same thing happened to me after my first baby (first weight loss) I had lost 7 lbs which would have brought me down from 145 to 138 and then after buying a new scale I was actually 148! I was really frustrated but all that meant was that I had actually started at 155 and went down to 148. It didn't help much because all that it meant was that I was fatter than I had originally thought and had to get down and see the same numbers again, but imagine how discouraging it would have been had I not even been trying and would have been shocked to eventually find out that I was still weighing 155lbs... so it is still a great loss for you no matter what your starting weight was and although it sucks to have to do those same numbers again, at least this time you no FOR SURE where you're at and you won't have to do it for a third time.

Congrats on your loss by the way.

thx but I dont think I lost, I think I gained it back from my old scale....who knows really uhhhh
  • coco3382458
    Options
    Go to home, check in, edit previous entries and delete the old ones and put in what your new scale says. Wait till morning to weigh and do it the same time of day each time.

thanks I will re-adjust in the morning
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    When all is said and done, it is just a number. As long that number goes in the right direction, you know you are winning. I don't know how to change your start weight without setting up a new profile, so I would be tempted to go with the old scales.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different. Don't obsess over the number. It's the downward trend that matters.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was right there 4 days ago. Serious BUMMER ! Thankfully mine was only a 5 pound difference. I'm keeping the new number and losing from there - as long as it keeps going down I don't care. It just sucks I have to lose those 4 pounds AGAIN.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Just read the posts from when I as typing! Sounds like you have several good reasons to go with the new scales irrespective of whether you can change your start weight or not!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing happen. Just readjust and go from there.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i would just chalk it up to the old scale sucks, and from today on, go by the weight on the new scale!
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would just assume your original starting weight was 9lbs higher than you thought. So you still lost whatever you think you lost, it's just that you aren't as low as your old scale showed. That may sting a bit, but it shouldn't undo any of the good you did by losing in the first place.

I think you are on the right track, just change your original starting weight, make it 9lbs heavier... though to be fair, if you do that, you may want to change all the individual weigh ins (make them 9lbs higher), but that could be a pain. Or just go with new number and forget the past.
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    BUMMER!!
    So glad you got the new scale. I used to have a scale like your old one and oh boy was it a pain !

On the bright side.. the number is accurate and you can move forward from here.
    It's a down ward slope no matter where you start!

:happy: