Why do people say weight loss is all about diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    People are just lazy! Seriously... they DON'T want to exercise. Even if you ate a bunch of crappy foods and exercised(I did this accidentally when I was younger), you'd be skinny, but no one wants to do this.

lololololwut? no

I used to exercise like a fiend. One summer many years ago... 5 days a week, I'd hike 3 hours, 2 of those hours being steep uphill, AND go to an intensive yoga workshop in the morning before my hike for 2+ hours, and I didn't lose a single pound (gained!), because once that part of my day was over I ate like I hadn't eaten in a month. I ate too much crappy food, and no amount of exertion could burn that off.

(actually, the quoted statement is so ridiculous, i'm wondering if i missed some sarcasm, or trolling or something)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    why can't we all just be intelligent here....
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right?

Depends on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. If it's below 2500 and you're eating 3000, then no, burning 500 calories per day through exercise won't help you lose weight. That's why weight-loss depends mostly on diet. Exercise can increase your TDEE and allow you to eat more, but there is still a calorie threshold. Eat above it, you gain. Eat below it, you lose.

But if you burned 750 calories per day, you WILL lose weight.

so will you continue this math until someone has to burn 2000 calories per day to lose weight? or they could stop killing themselves on the elliptical and just not order fries with the burger

Of course there's a limit. There's always a limit. I'm just saying, reasonably, do a reasonable amount of exercise along with eating right to net below your TDEE, and you will lose weight. :) So, no, I'm not saying 'until someone has to burn 2000 calories a day'. Both go hand in hand.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    why can't we all just be intelligent here....

spock-meme-no-signs-of-intelligent-life.jpg
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm a guy who has an active lifestyle and some muscle mass to up my metabolism. 3k calories is below my maintenance. My typical TDEEs are above 4k and approach 5k on a hard day.

I think a lot of people on this site are focused on looking good. That's cool, but it does explain the difference in perspective. I'm focusing on performing at an elite level in a sport with weight loss along for the ride. It's a bit different when you approach cutting weight that way. I'd be interested to hear if there are any people on that wavelength on this site.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can just eat less. But, there are only so many calories you can cut. Most people aren't coming from eating 3000 calories. Some are for sure, I might have been I really don't know cuz I started cutting back rather by accident. Anyway, cutting back from whatever to whatever was about 500 calories a day. I started losing weight of course, I had an inkling I was eating less because grocery bill. So, anyway I lost about 4 or 5 pounds a month up until March. Then I started exercising. I am losing just a bit faster, mostly because I wasn't quite as sedentary as I thought I was so, the extra hour I thought I was putting in is really more like an extra half an hour. I think the bottom line is if you exercise more you need to watch your diet more so you don't get a false sense of security and think you can eat 5,000 calories a day, because I have done that.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    As many people have said, if you don't pay attention to your diet you can easily eat back your exercise calories and never notice it. Eat less to lose the weight, exercise to look hotter at the lower weight.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well, you did indeed have an idea. Maybe not a great one...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right? So there you go, exercise equals weight loss. And you still eat the same 3000 cal diet. Some people might get hungrier because of the exercise and eat back the cals but I think its a hell of a lot easier than doing no exercise and trying to eliminate calories every which way. Thats where people break down mentally.
    Just a thought I had
    You forgot to add what calories are needed to maintain weight. If it's 2200 and that person is eating 3000 and burning 500, then the net is still 2500 meaning that they are still in 300 calorie surplus.
    It's about calorie deficit. Diet is just how you reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Not necessary.... let's say at the 3000 calories you are really gaining weight slowly. So if you add in the 500 calories of exercise you are just at the level to maintain your current weight. So that is why diet is key!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    can you gain weight while doing crazy amounts of exercise?? Yes, of course.

Can you lose weight while eating too much?? No, you cannot...

Seriously, the amount of dumb in this thread is bogglingly me.. On the plus side, at least most of the people in here get it.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    i w ont lose weight eating 3000 calories ........ and burning 500 um no...........
    everyone is different
    noone should be eating 3000 calories

My maintenance is right over 3k. I have friends on here who maintain on 4k. I need about 3500 to consistently gain weight.

STAHP
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i w ont lose weight eating 3000 calories ........ and burning 500 um no...........
    everyone is different
    noone should be eating 3000 calories

moronic
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lets say you are fat and eat 3000 calories a day. Then say you start doing exercise everyday and burn 500 cals a day. You will eventually start losing weight right? So there you go, exercise equals weight loss. And you still eat the same 3000 cal diet. Some people might get hungrier because of the exercise and eat back the cals but I think its a hell of a lot easier than doing no exercise and trying to eliminate calories every which way. Thats where people break down mentally.
    Just a thought I had

MM hmm so how's that been working out for ya?
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    You can just eat less. But, there are only so many calories you can cut. Most people aren't coming from eating 3000 calories. Some are for sure, I might have been I really don't know cuz I started cutting back rather by accident. Anyway, cutting back from whatever to whatever was about 500 calories a day. I started losing weight of course, I had an inkling I was eating less because grocery bill. So, anyway I lost about 4 or 5 pounds a month up until March. Then I started exercising. I am losing just a bit faster, mostly because I wasn't quite as sedentary as I thought I was so, the extra hour I thought I was putting in is really more like an extra half an hour. I think the bottom line is if you exercise more you need to watch your diet more so you don't get a false sense of security and think you can eat 5,000 calories a day, because I have done that.

Exactly. There's a limit to cutting calories, and there's a limit to exercise. Do too much of either and it will be harmful. Pure and simple.