Best (inexpensive) way to measure BMI?

Options
I had my BMI calculated through a weight loss program about 15 years ago (over 36% and I weighed 20 lbs less than what I weigh now - gross, I know. Are there any reliable, INEXPENSIVE tools available out there? Yes, my health is important, but I'm also really watching the budget right now.

Replies

• DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean your body fat percentage not BMI. BMI is calculated by your weight and height.

I use tailor's tape and measure. You can estimate your body fat percentage here:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

When you use that link, click on "tape" to get the measurements version of the calculator.

If you're only looking to track progress, this is a good method, but the most accurate measurements come from body scans like a DEXA. Those can be expensive.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What's your budget (presuming you are actually looking to calculate your BF%)

Bodpod can be a good half way house especially if you look to do it at University facility.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    BMI is pretty garbage for most people...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean body fat % not BMI. You can find lots of calculators online that you use your measurements to get a rough idea. Someone at a gym usually knows how to use calipers to test. The most reliable and exact measurements will be medical testing that usually cost $100 or more.

I wouldn't worry about your BF% too much until you get close to goal weight and then you may want to tweek some things to achieve a certain %.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do it, there are some body fat scales on Amazon. I have one, and it's mostly a waste of money... but it only cost $40. As you become more fit, it becomes less accurate. There's a different calculation for athlete vs normal person. I know that my % Body fat is somewhere in between those two numbers. I went to a gym and had it done and it showed something that was wildly different.

If you really want to track progress, do it with a tape measure. Waist, chest, arms, legs.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    A BF% analysis with calipers should cost about $50.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did mean body fat, not BMI. Thank you! I'm learning lots from you folks!

I can't really spend more than $50, and don't want to spend any if it's a waste.

If it really doesn't matter, then I'll not fret about this. I was just trying to see all the variables and know weight alone can be deceiving. I've been at this for about a month and my goal for this month was to lose 10 lbs and limber up so I can really start working on my body to strengthen and tone.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did mean body fat, not BMI. Thank you! I'm learning lots from you folks!

I can't really spend more than $50, and don't want to spend any if it's a waste.

If it really doesn't matter, then I'll not fret about this. I was just trying to see all the variables and know weight alone can be deceiving. I've been at this for about a month and my goal for this month was to lose 10 lbs and limber up so I can really start working on my body to strengthen and tone.

I would advocate for tracking your measurements and using an online body fat calculator as you go. Sometimes the scale won't budge, but your measurements will. It's important to track both.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy and cheap way to get a ballpark figure:

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BMI is Body Mass Index ( or body fat % )
    MFP has one available for use. It is a calculators based of weight and height. It is cheap because its free. Will get you a ballpark figure.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    tape measure to measure your BM