Hitting the Gym

Options
Finally going to start hitting the gym...I am about 60 lbs over weight and want to konw what are the best things to start doing? I don't want to to kill myself but want to know what is the best to do for the best results.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a big elliptical fan! And the stair-master! Great burn (it burns trust me). Make sure to get some strength training in there... but thats not my area of expertise so i'll let someone else tell you all about that :-)
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    what exactly is strength training?
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would start with cardio too, start stength training in a few weeks maybe. Stair master is GREAT
    strength training is building muscle, either with free wweights or nautilus machines, ect. Most gyms allow you a free trainig session, and the trainer will show you how to use the machines, ect. :smile:
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba classes!!! They are awesome!! =D SOOOo much fun!!
  • gupton11
    Options
    what exactly is strength training?

lifting weights
  • John8188
    Options
    Muscles help burn fat. i love to ride my bike. You can burn a lot riding for a hour or so a day. I ride to places instead of driving. It really has helped.
  • LizL
    LizL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have to do what you are going to enjoy. Group fitness classes are a great way to get started and most gyms offer both strength training and cardio based classes. Instructors give options when doing certain exercises in both types of classes so it works for newbies and veterans. AND classes give you great exercises that you can do in the wieght room on your own. If you are not a class person, hit the gym. Start off with 20 minutes of cardio, and work your way up to 30 minutes 3-4 times a week you don't want to over due it right away. Also try for 20-30 minutes of strength training to start. If you are not sure what to do, ask the gym if they offer a first time session with a trainer to get you a program design (circuit training is great to get everything done quickly). Hope this helps!!! Good luck & you will be able to rock this!!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Group fitness ALL THE WAY! It's a great way to get started, meet other people, and also gives you motivation when you see that others may be struggling but are still giving 100% - As bad as it sounds, having other people around also keeps you accountable and makes you work harder! I used to *love* step class. The good thing about most gyms is that these are free and they are scheduled regularly to keep you in a routine. There is usually a lot of selection too, so if you don't like one kind you can always switch to something else. I'd try something aerobic first, and wait to try some of the strength training/resistance training onces...

Good luck!! Oh, and if worst comes to worst and you have no idea what to do - Go on a long walk! Calories burned are calories burned!
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    I mix it all up - I love to run and I do that about 4-5 days a week. In addition on the day I run I work out in my garage on a total gym, hand weights, push ups, sit ups, etc. About 2-3 days a week I go to a Jazzercise class for the group fun, and good cardio, strength training. Then 2 days a week I go to personal touch at Jazzercise for just strength training.

Of course my goal this past month has been my husband coming home on R&R so I have been kicking it in high gear! I do love to work out - but had several surgeries and was out of commission for several months!

I totally agree on the walking and bike riding! Its all physical and it is just what works best for your schedule being a wife and mom too!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would see about getting one training session to learn how to use all the different machines. I can hurt myself walking in a straight line so I was concerned about using weights and such. If you have someone show you how to use them it might help you build confidence. Plus it gives you another familiar face around the gym. Check to see about new member orientations, our gym has them every day to teach you the ropes.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: Strength train but avoid the weight machines. If you get a consultation at the gym with a personal trainer, tell them you want to lift free weights. If they try to deter you, find another trainer or gym who will.

Check out stumptuous.com for more info on free weights and weight loss.

Cardio has its own merits but it's not the only path to healthy weight loss.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I like what Hill242 said. I have a TotalGym at home and I was using it wrong for the past several years. Recently I joined a subscription service that created workout programs for me. They have me doing sets and reps in many different positions that I was not doing before and in just a few weeks I can see a big difference. I've seen others here recommend free weights because they challenge all the muscles in an area while machines only seem to target a smaller group. I guess that is why this subscription site has me laying in many different positions. Strength training builds muscle and sculpts and defines.

I also do cardio and I love it. If I could have only one machine in my house, I'd have to go with cardio just because my wife uses it.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Using free weights challenges your stabilizing muscles more than a weight machine that only moves on a designated, often unnatural path. Your stabilizing muscles enhance your balance, agility, and control.

Even just bodyweight movements will do wonders for balance compared to weight machines. And they're free!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Using free weights challenges your stabilizing muscles more than a weight machine that only moves on a designated, often unnatural path. Your stabilizing muscles enhance your balance, agility, and control.

Even just bodyweight movements will do wonders for balance compared to weight machines. And they're free!

Squats, step-ups, lunges, crunches, push-ups etc... If you haven't done these before and your muscles aren't developed, these can be a challenge even without weights. Doing sets with little recovery time (30-45 seconds) can be a pretty good burn if you are just starting out, too!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    meagalayne

just keep moving . Even if you were like me, confused at the gym, with nothing but healthy YOUNG, gorgeous people walking around looking the part, I just kept moving...
    I work out at a gym at a private university, and Im about the oldest there, besides the few breathing retired nuns, at least I think Sister Stanislaus is breathing at the age of 92.

I kept moving. Didnt know how to use the ab, flex gym equipment, but I did know how to flip the ON / OFF switch on the tread mill, and that was the start

Even if you dont have all the answers, most kids and adults are really nice about assisting...

Just keep moving, keep moving , and start cardio , just till you get over the newness of it all......... Good luck, Im rooting for you too...Lloyd
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such great advice, but the best is just to get in there and get moving! My recommendations:

Elliptical: easy to do, high calorie burn if you challenge yourself a little
    Treadmill: running is best, but walking is a good way to get started, maybe build up to a combination of both
    Stationary bike: good for when you're tired but still want to work out (imo)
    Spin class: I haven't done it lately, but a guy coming out of spin class said "it's the best workout I've ever gotten!" wow.
    Weights (machines and free weights): just try a new exercise each time, and before long, you'll find your favorites (email me if you want more suggestions on specific exercises), definitely ask for help from a trainer

I try to workout for an hour 5-6 days per week, splitting the time between weights and cardio. I feel really good! :)
    Good luck