Runners: 5k on the same day as a long run?

Options
I have a marathon on November 2nd (my first marathon!!) and I am following Hal Higdon's novice supreme program. I have a 5k that I am set to do next Saturday and I am also supposed to run 10 miles that Saturday.

Should I: Run ten miles that morning and then the 5k that night (it is a glow run at 9pm)

or

Run seven miles that morning and the 5k that night to create a total of roughly ten miles?

I have no idea what would be best for my training! Thanks :)

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would do both runs in a day. So long as you give yourself about 12 hours between the runs and are hydrated, you should be fine. Breaking it up doesn't have the same effect as running the 10 miles.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you can do both!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would adjust the training to have your 10 mile run on a different day. It's not worth injury to do both in the same day. (Says the girl who overtrained herself into a stress fracture.)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't do both in one day. Run the best 5k that you can. Shift your miles around so you do your 10 on a different day if you can. If you can't just do the race and continue with your training. Later on in your training it will make more of a difference to miss a long run, right now you risk more injury if you run double, especially if you run all out for the 5k. And why shouldn't you give the 5k your best effort? It's fun to do them now and again and later in your training it won't be as easy to fit in.
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add that the 5k is a fun run and not actually me trying hard for a good time or anything! Thanks for the advice you guys :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You could probably do both. I had a 5 mile race last Saturday, and I decided to run to it and run home from it, which ended up being about 10.5 total. It may have hurt my pace a little - I figured the 2.75 run there was a warmup, but I didn't get a personal best. Especially if you are having fun with the 5K and not going all out, you will be fine.