No food past 9pm? but what if I'm hungry??

Options
I'm an ex late night binger trying to change her ways!
Ive found myself reaching my calorie limit after my evening meal, and so like it or not, I'm not eating anything before bed.

But now I'm finding myself really hungry before bed, and then struggling to get to sleep because Im thinking about food.

Is this a psychological thing or should I just eat something before bed?

Has any one else experienced this?

(By the way, I'm 21, I'm into my first week of MFP, and I've got just under 50Ibs to lose! Feel free to add me :) )

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Try arranging it so you have about 100 calories you can play with after dinner. One of those 100 cal popcorns, or a banana, or some watermelon after dinner/before bed might help, and you won't be over your calories for the day.

Are you eating back your exercise calories earned?
  • iyerritsegan1
    Options
    Some days I am, but some days I don't feel the need to. Today i pushed it right to the limit, but now, right before bed, I'm thinking about the biscuits again!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some tea (decaffeinated, if caffeine keeps you up), this fills me up during my fasted state.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    perhaps try eating your dinner later in the evening? I work midnights so i'm used to eating late at night. lol but I also eat my dinner (breakfast?) when I get out of work around 6:30am and am in bed by 8am. It doesn't seem to bother my sleep and i'm not munching right up till I get into bed. Hope it helps! :)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm bad, I tend to "save" my lunchtime snack calories for the end of the day, just because I KNOW I'm going to get the munchies. It's inevitable.

My honest opinion, though, is that if you're hungry, you should eat. Even if you're having a huge slice of watermelon or some frozen grapes, or veggie nibblies or whatever- even if it takes you ever so slightly above your limit. As long as it's a healthy snack and not, like, a full on meal, you know what I mean? I figure it's better to be 100 calories over for one day, and feel satiated from nutritious food, than it is to be right on target and suffering from the grumblies.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    who told you you couldn't eat after 9? if you're hungry and have some calories left...EAT!
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I habitually save some calories for evenings because I enjoy eating something after dinner and before bed. As long as it fits into your dietary plan, I don't think the time of day matters much.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    who told you you couldn't eat after 9? if you're hungry and have some calories left...EAT!

^This^
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eat
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is fine to eat at ANY time of the day or night.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It is fine to eat at ANY time of the day or night.

yep
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What about eating a lighter breakfast or lunch and planning a bedtime snack?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Eat some fruit. Preferably a banana, they help you fall asleep.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    My worst time is at night too. I have really been trying to not eat past 7pm and i do much better weight wise if i don't eat.

I think it is more habit than actually being hungry. I found if i have something like watermelon it helps for the habit and it gives me something sweet and then i am fine. I try to only allow for it a couple times a week though and not every night so i can try to break the habit.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also get hungry at night - and I feel I sleep better if I have something in my stomach. I have been working on moving away from crackers and peanut butter to a low fat 6 oz yogurt with fruit. add a teaspoon of CoolWhipFree and I can convince my self it is a sundae.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    Your body has no idea what time it is. Eat anytime you are genuinely hungry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you not eating after 9pm?

Schedule your food in a way that makes adherence easiest and is the best for gym performance.

Calories and macros being equal, eating late at night will not have a negative impact on your weight loss unless it means you eat more or disrupts your sleep.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time it is, if you have calories left and you're hungry, eat.
  • foxylady522
    Options
    I either plan out my day to the point of having some extra calories for an after dinner treat or I plan to exercise after dinner so I can have an evening snack. I usually feel the need to have something sweet in the evening :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Honestly... microwave popcorn is what saves me sometimes, when I really just want to munch on something. I try to keep enough calories so that I can have the popcorn after dinner in the evenings.

The poster above suggested the 100 cal pop corns. Those worked well for me, and I eventually could play around to have enough extra cals to eat a full size bag.