Maybe I'm being a little obsessive?

Options
So I've been at this for 3 weeks or so and I've been eating and exercising 100% "perfect". But tonight for some reason, I'm super hungry and only have 175 calories left ... What I'll probably eat would bring me over a little (maybe 25-50 calories). Could that seriously affect me ... One day of a tiny negative can't do too much harm right? I already know I'll feel guilty because letting myself have under 300-400 calories left is ideal for me so if i go under, i feel bad. Am I just letting it get a little too into my head?

Replies

• iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    a little over for just one day won't ruin all your hard work. only if it's VERY VERY rare that you do go over your calories though. MFP's calorie goal for you is set already at a deficit, so 20 to 25 calories over will probably still put you at a deficit anyways. It's still a bad habit, so if youre REALLY hungry, make sure it's something healthy and has most nutrition per calorie you can.

hope this helps!
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    It's very hard to keep up with a diet that is too strict and leaves you feeling too hungry. A little over once in a while is not bad, as long as its only a little, and only once in a while. But before you eat, try drinking a bit of water, and be sure you are really hungry. Sometimes with increased exercise, you need more water, and can mistake the feeling for hunger.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Most calorie figures on foods are only accurate to 10% so I really wouldn't worry about 50cals!!!
    Depending on your defecit 50 cals could be as little as a 5% over eat which means if you did it for a the whole week you would lose 1.9 pounds instead of 2 pounds!!!

Walk around the house for 15 minutes lifting your knees nice and high and you will burn off 50 cals anyway!!!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    some times being obsessive works alot:tongue: it help keeps you from over eating
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the calories you are consuming are healthy and not just "stuff" so if your hungry eat an apply with 1 tbs of peanut butter. Or string cheese or any piece of fresh fruit. I try not to eat after 7 so if Im hungry I drink water or have a nice cup of decaf tea & chew on Extra Sweet Watermelon gum ;)
    You can always just go to sleep lol
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I meant apple LOL
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I drink Good Earth sweet and spicy original decaf tea on nights like that. What we are seeking is comfort - and a super flavorful hot drink works! Try it!
  • searchcj
    Options
    If you are still hungry, then you probably need to eat. It is bad to let it build. Some days you use more calories doing things that you have not calculated so you have to listen to your body. As long as it isn't daily, you'll be ok.
  • lidd8
    Options
    I drink Good Earth sweet and spicy original decaf tea on nights like that. What we are seeking is comfort - and a super flavorful hot drink works! Try it!

I completely agree - tea always helps!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Most calorie figures on foods are only accurate to 10% so I really wouldn't worry about 50cals!!!
    Depending on your defecit 50 cals could be as little as a 5% over eat which means if you did it for a the whole week you would lose 1.9 pounds instead of 2 pounds!!!

Walk around the house for 15 minutes lifting your knees nice and high and you will burn off 50 cals anyway!!!
    I agree 100% 15 mins of excercise should fix the whole problem! I also agree with going to sleep!! lol
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Thanks everyone .... I'm eating an orange, 3-4 slices of cucumber, 4 pieces of celery, and 4-5 chunks of pineapple LOL ... Not bad choices .. just figured if i go over on calories at least let it boost other good things and hold me over. Good thing is, I'm not a binge eater or anything like that .. My weight is from a medicine so it's only a once in a blue moon type of thing. Plus, I think its possible that i may be hitting a plateau so this should give me a boost in my metabolism. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone .... I'm eating an orange, 3-4 slices of cucumber, 4 pieces of celery, and 4-5 chunks of pineapple LOL ... Not bad choices .. just figured if i go over on calories at least let it boost other good things and hold me over. Good thing is, I'm not a binge eater or anything like that .. My weight is from a medicine so it's only a once in a blue moon type of thing. Plus, I think its possible that i may be hitting a plateau so this should give me a boost in my metabolism. :)
    Sounds like you made some great choices and thought it through! Great job:wink::drinker:
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Before you eat anything, drink a tall glass of warm water and wait about 15 mins. That will help that empty feeling some what.

Also, most will disagree with this but it works for me. There are times when you are stuck on a weight for a while or that one night you just need extra. Don't worry about it, go for it, Belive it or not that extra food intake helps tell your body your not having to worrie about food. Trick is, don't do it often.
  • adelehj
    Options
    Agree with Amirillo but how about doing a bit more excercise to get some of those calories back, maybe this way you wont go over your allowance?
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Agree with Amirillo but how about doing a bit more excercise to get some of those calories back, maybe this way you wont go over your allowance?

Well I do insanity and occasionally (if i'm not too sore) I'll go for a few walks throughout the day. I try to exercise til i burn at least 600 calories but normally I never have a problem staying under. It normally occurs when I skip or have a light breakfast.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's actually a good thing to give your body a "splurge" day in terms of calories about once a week. It keeps the metabolism from getting too used to a number. It's not go completely overboard and off the diet, but one day a week going a couple of hundred calories over won't kill you.

Hey...I've done it the past two weeks and have lost 4 pounds each week.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    some times being obsessive works alot:tongue: it help keeps you from over eating

That's what's been workin for me! It's on my mind, everything that goes into my mouth. What's in this? How many calories, how much fat, etc